Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan?

+3
mungoman
someday
cabletie
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Empty Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan?

Post  cabletie Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:48 pm

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Image18}
I seem to be loosing gold or having trouble getting it to sink to the bottom. I hope this picture helps, I think maybe this material is harder to pan? So frustrating
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down

Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Empty Re: Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan?

Post  someday Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 pm

with 411 posts ya hardly a new member mate??
Get the feelen there's more to you than ya letten on  Suspect 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Empty Re: Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan?

Post  mungoman Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 am

cabletie, you've got black sand there - gold and black sand have basically the same habit - so is there gold in the pan in the first place ?
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 am

Mungo man: there was a fair bit in this pan. I pan off in a tub so I can pan It again and I find some more color. I just want the piece of mind that I have the right technique down. Obviously not lol. Someday: I'm not sure how to process that comment. Reason why I posted in new members is I'm new to panning and want help.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Empty panning techniques.

Post  mungoman Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:58 pm

G'day cabletie, sorry mate, I didn't realise panning was new to you. If you look in the search window (top right of the page) for 'panning techniques' there is 47 hits there. Good luck and all the best, Jon.
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Mate if your on the up'n up then all good, there's been no shortage of members pretending to be newbies when in fact there old hands   Suspect 

You've shown a couple of pics, just like this one, and you say your in a tizz, then you posted a pic of good clean gold which
looked like you used the miners swirl method and your troublesome sands weren't an issue!!!

Reminds me of another member with blurry fish tank rocks   Laughing
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Well the reason why I'm asking is I pan my concentrates in a tub for back up. So I pan what's in my tub after the first initial pan and find I'm loosing gold. So the goal I want to achieve is keep all gold in the first pan so I only need to pan once.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Didn't mean to be mean, I just get a tad dubious when pics clash!
Mate the biggest mistake panners make is being too gentle, meaning, if go to slow on ya stratifying the first thing to come to rest
will be ya heavy clays "hematite" springs to mind, this shite will hard pack in no time, then ya black sands are gonna sit on this hard pack
then ya gold which is the slowest to move will sit on top! Wrong way around man!!!!!
work the stuff so the hematite and black sands are in a fluidized state allowing the gold to sneak in under all that violence   cheers
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:01 pm

G'day cabletie

Also use some "Rinse Aid" or some other type of product (surfacant) that breaks the surface tension of the water.  I do this when panning off dollied specimen gold to get the fines and it sure helps stop the fines from floating and I can get it done without loosing hardly any into the secondary tub.

Like someday says give it a good shakin up, this is also what an oldtimer showed me when he was giving me some lessons on panning quite awhile ago.  His words were, gold is 19 times heaver than water, keep the sands/gravels in a liquefaction/fluid state and the gold will go straight to the bottom.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks everyone. And it's all good someday, didn't think you were barking at me. Well that's what I need to know. I was being too gentle. See I read in books about how to pan and they didn't mention being too gentle. Hence why I asked.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 pm

gold being 19 times heavier than water is where the problem starts, not enough tilt on the pan and you've got gold everywhere,
to vigorous and ya got gold everywhere, not vigorous enough and ya still got gold everywhere cause it won't settle where ya want it to!!

Look and you will learn!!

P.s Good onya Cabletie  cheers 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey someday. Just another question. I was panning my concentrates and instead of the the gold sinking to the bottom of my pan while on a angle, it is sitting in the top left corner of the pan, if that makes sense. After reading your earlier post maybe I need to hold it on a angle more?
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:02 pm

cabletie wrote:Hey someday. Just another question. I was panning my concentrates and instead of the the gold sinking to the bottom of my pan while on a angle, it is sitting in the top left corner of the pan, if that makes sense. After reading your earlier post maybe I need to hold it on a angle more?

Arha thats the trouble then you got a square pan, and were talking about a round un.  Very Happy Very Happy Laughing cheers 

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:17 pm

cheers   lol!  a square pan ay, chuck some riffles in and have a catch area that ya can dump  lol! 

Mate it has me bamboozled, you will always have more gold on one side than the udder, think it's gotta do with the dunny flush going this or that way  Razz 

Too much angle will have ya gold riding high, sounds like ya need to back it of a tad!
There's been maybe 2 or so good vids on panning but they still lack on info if your just straten out!
When they say "neva eva let material wash ova the sides, they mean material, not gunk ridden dirt!
if the rim of ya pan is clean ya still not worken the stuff hard enough!!
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey Guy's
Surely there is someone close to Cabletie to give him some pointers with his technique come on.
Cabeltie, talk to someday & maybe take a drive to see him for some hands on pointers if he is keen it will save you a lot of time.

Hey Someday, you could run 1 on 1 panning days mate make a few $$$$ to by the wife nice "fings"
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:01 am

cheers  I like nice fings  cheers  actually I couldn't give a flyen fig   Laughing 

ooarr 1 on 1 pannen, I'm keen, need some rules though, Hmm xxx amount of bucks and a slab!
By the time we dun gone drunkerd that slab I will guarantee you will never look at panning the same way again, err as ya used too  Laughing 

Come on guys, whats a fair price for priceless learnerds  cheers 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyPete Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:29 am

someday wrote:Come on guys, whats a fair price for priceless learnerds   cheers 

Well first ya got to add the wifeys bribe so she cuts ya loose  Razz Razz Razz 
Second, dont ever take "Tea totallers"  Suspect Evil or Very Mad Razz Razz Razz 
Third, they be shoutin the VB  cheers Suspect Razz 
Fourth, You gets to snaffle all left over VB  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Razz 
Fifth, Wake up next day after passing out on VB at the tuition  Q24 Razz Razz 
 Q08 Q24 

J
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:15 am

Q25  Yep sounds spot on to me   Q24 

Ok, clearly thar be a few built in anchors that may need some fine tuning, like not everyone likes VB
For non VB consumers I don't like bourbon tho I do like scotch! that should do!
If choosing the later it will be natural to expect a reduction in learning, maybe betta to book a whole week!  Cool   Q16 
Hang on, teetotaler habit breaker also included, should be fun, yuck ya don't use ya pan for that!   Laughing 

Fine, maybe this ain't gonna work   Sad

Damn hard tryen to come up with a good business plan for such activity's!
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 am

someday wrote:Q25  Yep sounds spot on to me   Q24 

Ok, clearly thar be a few built in anchors that may need some fine tuning, like not everyone likes VB
For non VB consumers I don't like bourbon tho I do like scotch! that should do!
If choosing the later it will be natural to expect a reduction in learning, maybe betta to book a whole week!   Cool    Q16 
Hang on, teetotaler habit breaker also included, should be fun, yuck ya don't use ya pan for that!   Laughing 

Fine, maybe this ain't gonna work   Sad

Damn hard tryen to come up with a good business plan for such activity's!

Hey Someday
"Rubbish"

Plan, you blokes (or Gals) come see me (Someday) we drink a beer, ya give me some money, we drink a beer, we sit and pan, we drink a beer, we discuss the methods, we drink a beer.
All jokes aside, you bring some money, bring your pans, bring some of the dirt your having an issue with panning , Someday or anybody shows you how it is done you have a go, you go away & keep on practising what you are shown & wham "Gold in your pan"
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:55 am

See this is where your more practical business plan falls apart! No 
everyone knows that a really good business plan needs to entice the customer to come back! cheers 

My plan has this built in by default  Razz 
A coupla days later, the customers will ring up wanting to book another trainen day?
Me, why's that matey, ya haven a few problems?
Customer, Problems, I can't remember a bloody thing  Sad 

Me  Cool lol! 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Ahh Cabletie and I thought I was the only one.I too have mastered the art of getting rid of all the fine gold and leaving only the black sands behind. Laughing Sad 

Cheers Kon.What a Face 

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:21 pm

So Kon, can I book ya in for the 7 day scotch course  Laughing 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Empty The 7 Days Of Xmas Training

Post  CrazyPete Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:11 pm

santa santa santa santa santa santa study study study Q11 

On the first day of training someday said to me "Didya bring $70 and VB"

On the second day of training someday said to me " can ya carry all my gear while i have a quick Pee"

On the third day of training Someday said to me "i'll light the fire and we'll have BBQ chops for Tea"

On the fourth day of training Someday said to me " Suspect  drunken  Carn i'll fight yaz if yaz drink me VB"

On the fifth day of training Someday said to me "im so drunk and cant get up from off me knees"

On the sixth day of training Someday said to me "Your a daft sod and geez your annoyin me"

On the seventh day of training Someday said to me "Bail me out of lockup and pay the fine for me"

Razz Razz lol! lol!
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:30 pm

boys--get hold of a Gold Cube--mine has 3 trays and a top wash tray to go and it recovers 99% of my gold.

I also use a gold wheel and i only use that coz i like to see the gold rising into the centre and it gives me a quick indication of whether i have been wasting my time with the samples we bring back to camp.

with the gold wheel u will loose about 2-5% of your gold into the excess container beneath the wheel. u have to pan this off or reprocess through the gold cube. the wheel picks up the ultra fine gold as well. This stuff is ULTRA FINE AND IT GOES THROUGHT THE FINEST TEA STRAINER WE HAVE --This gold and black sand goes into mercury--yeah but its the only alternative I currently have--so spare me the OHS.

hope this adds spice to your feast.

i use a bit of detergent to try to eliminate the floatation and some anti foaming agent to calm the bubbles.

if ya gold is floating away --i wonder if it is really worth it

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Jerry this dastardly plan of mine is definitely two sided  Shocked  I can't remember that trainen day at all drunken   lol!   cheers   lol! 

Ray, Ray, Ray, gold cubes, spiral wheels, You no risten, or maybe ya do  Laughing 
Providen the material is really well trommeled first then yeh I spose that idea would suffice!
clean dirt, it's got a lot to do with clean dirt! more so if ya gold is fine cheers 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:56 pm

chris i make u a vid but it will b on DWAG of what I do with the cons out of my commercial dry blower.

at the moment we have slowed down out here but I am plodding on in the heat at a snails pace. to close to xmas.

if u want to bring the vid here go for it--be a week or two..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 pm

G'day oneday69 (Ray)

There is no problem posting the video on here as well, mate it's all about helping each other to learn stuff.

If Chris wants to bring it from there to here that's ok too.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:24 pm

no problem dave--all my photos are there for people to have a look and share.--

but floating gold well that's another thing--

I find if it wants to float then it wasn't meant to b.

maybe try this bowl;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6X6PtIYKfE

I have never found a gold nugget to float yet, there are types that do --well that's another story-- maybe we produce a heavy gold in the west. mind u the last batch of gold I sent down went 92% gold and 6.5% silver --maybe its the silver content making it float away..

good luck

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post  AlluvialRic Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 pm

cabletie wrote:{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Why am I having trouble keeping gold in my pan? Image18}
I seem to be loosing gold or having trouble getting it to sink to the bottom. I hope this picture helps, I think maybe this material is harder to pan? So frustrating

G'day Cabletie

You have asked the same question on the main discussion board a few days earlier (Angry Pan Face) and received a few good answers.

Again the pan in this photo looks new and has not been seasoned by roughing it up. Also you should always give your pan a good wash in warm soapy water before using it and also every few outings to get rid of any oily residue.

I don't know if it is just reflection but this photo seems to show oil residue in the pan? Even the oils from your skin can cause gold loss. Do you wipe your brow and then put your hand in the pan or wash? The result will be oil from your forehead.

Try roughing the pan up and giving it a good wash in clean dish detergent and warm water. You can rough the pan up in the field by rubbing a few handfuls of gravel around in it.

Cheers Ric
AlluvialRic
AlluvialRic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-07-16

http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:42 pm

oneday69 wrote:

I find if it wants to float then it wasn't meant to b

Your scare'n me again   affraid 

Mate what water are ya usen for the cleanups?? town/bore/dam, fresh rain water or maybe desal?

bore an treated town water would be out, I wish I'd tried panning with the desal water when we lived in Denham,
this water being stripped of everything maybe the go, could be, may not be,  cyclops 

Looken forward to the vids.

Cheers
Chris
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next