Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?

+3
someday
getascripter
ttrash
7 posters

Go down

Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?  Empty Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?

Post  Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

This chap is selling off some prospecting equipment on fleabay & has a couple of interesting items.

One of the items is a pyramid pan . Has anyone had any experience with one of these ? He gives a very good description of how to use it & it sounds like a winner. I have never seen one before,but I am fairly new to the game.

He also has a rotary pan for sale, amongst other items.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/prospecting-gold-pan-pyramid-pan-gold-pan-garrett-keene-proline-minelab-gold-/111221107926?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Mining_Equipment&hash=item19e54b6cd6#ht_594wt_1247

Regards,
HUSH HUSH

Back to top Go down

Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?  Empty Re: Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?

Post  Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 pm

If you want and have the cash to experiment go for it ! Otherwise buy yourself 2 Garrett super sluice pans

Back to top Go down

Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?  Empty Pyramid pan

Post  ttrash Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Code:
There is a few you tube videos on the pyramid pan - www.fossickers.com

In theory it doesn't miss any gold if it's in the pan

They are about $100
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?  Empty Re: Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?

Post  Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 pm

cheers Victorian clay will sort it out !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanx ,fellas.

Essentially they all do the same thing & this is just another configuration for a pan.

Cheers.
HH

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:51 pm

The pyramid pan is not a finishing pan. You use the pyramid pan to bring down your amounts to a manageable level for finishing off with a regular pan or small recirculating finishing sluice.

Yes, I have one and have used it. It does gather a maximum amount of gold if it is present. The only gold that you will lose is the miniscule floating gold dust if you're using it out in the field. If you are using it in conjunction with a large container of water then just use a quality wetting agent which will help further in not losing that miniscule gold.

Do I like it? In it's place I think it's great. It did take me a little to get used to it, but after that I became more comfortable/trusting with it and it's ability.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:04 pm

So it's a Pyramid sluice? Not a pan? Yes I would Agree on that ! That was my thoughts when I ran across this product yrs ago but someone had one here and had problems with clay build up! I'm sure in America and areas where it is washing gravels it will be quite good but I'm Always at pains to point out the red clay in Victoria will be IMO the real test !
Recently I was working that sticky/ buttery grey clay and it is tenacious in refusing to release the gold that sticks to it ! The Banjo handles it with no problems but just reducing this stuff in a pan is a pain.

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Never used one, but my thoughts say that by it's design with a angled catchment and being as deep as it is, your going to have a tough time
trying to keep those black sands and Fe rich sands in a fluidized state and not try to hard pack??
I've asked about this a couple of times and never got an answer! Could I be right? Narr??
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:10 pm

Narr that would never happen ! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 pm

TFFT cheers 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:43 pm

I've never had that much black sands as to answer that question, someday. When I have used the pyramid pan, I have just dumped in about a shovel full of "dirt" then panned it down. Then I just visually check what's in the bottom ... if it looks like the trap at the bottom is full, I empty it into my pan or container ... then go again.

After a while, I'll go to that container and then pan it right down in a normal "clean-up" pan. There have been some instances where the Pyramid Pan has been an easier alternative to the GH or my smaller "flat" sluice.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:11 am

Do us a favor then Kate,
chuck in a cup full of black sand give it a good swishen, chuck in a shovefull of whatever, then chuck in a gram of gold, then do the swishen over a deep pool
and see if ya get ya gram back?
If ya get ya gram back, i'd be very surprised!
It's the nature of the beast, small bottoms verses big bottoms? Big bottoms win the gold! small bottoms look much better, that's all! Laughing 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:15 am

someday wrote:Do us a favor then Kate,
chuck in a cup full of black sand give it a good swishen, chuck in a shovefull of whatever, then chuck in a gram of gold, then do the swishen over a deep pool
and see if ya get ya gram back?
If ya get ya gram back, i'd be very surprised!
It's the nature of the beast, small bottoms verses big bottoms? Big bottoms win the gold! small bottoms look much better, that's all! Laughing 
Such is life someday! cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Just noticed this thread about the Pyramid Pro pan. I'm a bit late to help but others might find the info useful. I did get one of these pans shipped over from the States and it cost me US$65!!! I was attracted by the amount of dirt it could process. One Pro pan load (filled up to 2nd riffle only) equates to about 5-6 pan loads of a 14" pan. I had a lot of dirt to go through and wanted to do it fast, so I ended up getting one of these lol...

I did a lot of testing using all sorts of gold - nuggets and flour. The nuggets ranged from 0.05g to 1.5g and the pyramid pro pan found them all (10). I repeated the test with the nuggets a second time just to be sure. It wasn't as good on the flour gold, picking up around 70% of it. But I suppose that's not all that bad. There is a trap at the bottom for the gold to catch in, but it can fill up with black sands pretty quickly. If there are alot of black sands the trap will fill up quickly and you will lose gold. As the soil I was using had a lot of black sands, I had to reduce my loads so it wouldn't clog up the trap.

According to the instruction video the riffles are for breaking up any clay. There wasn't much clay in my dirt so I couldn't test this. I didn't do any classifying but the dirt was already more or less classified.

I also have the Maverick clean up pan. Never used it much but it seems reasonable. Perhaps a little quicker than the round ones - but hay, old habbits die hard. I still like my ancient black 14" round.
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Pyramid pan. Has anyone used one ?  Empty pyrimad pans

Post  fabphil Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:18 pm

gday someday i agree smaller bottoms do look way better Very Happy 

fabphil
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  jasond253 Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi guys.
Im new here at the forum so hi all.

Ive had a pyramid pan and found it hard to classify into,
I also found there had to be a reasonable deep pool to swing it side to side as the bottom would always smash against rocks etc.

I also found it not to be as easy as its made out to be swinging side to side.
As members have said it does catch gold well its just alot easier for me to pan or classify then put through a grubstake sluice.

jasond253

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenhero Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Jasond253 , Welcome to the forum , just a suggestion go to the " New Members Section " and introduce yourself and tell your story , members are always ready to welcome newcomers ..cheers Mick

goldenhero
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2012-12-19

Back to top Go down