Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nugget finder 18" mono coil

3 posters

Go down

nugget finder 18" mono coil Empty nugget finder 18" mono coil

Post  goldslinger Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:16 am

Help!

I have got my hands on an old (by the look of it) nugget finder 18" mono coil.

are they any good

I have a gpx 4000 with a goldstalker 14" mono at the moment

Is it worth changing to the bigger but older coil

and lastley i have 2X11"dd minelab coils are they worth anything

hope you can help
Paul
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

nugget finder 18" mono coil Empty Re: nugget finder 18" mono coil

Post  kon61 Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 pm

G'day Goldslinger;

When you're talking about Old 18" round Nugget finder coil,are you referring to to the thin solid white full fiber glass version that was made by Rohan Johnson,which was introduced during the time of the GP3000\3500,or are we talking some earlier version. I ran a 16" round version on my GP3000 and had no problems running it on average to medium mineralized ground,neither did i have any problems with sensitivity nor depth,and it will definitely out do your Goldstalker 14"mono for depth on eg,5gram bits and above.The only down side with it was the weight factor [even for a mono coil mine was heavy]much more heavier than even its later model spoked fibreglass brothers.Just remember i was running mine on the GP3000.No reason for the same coil not to run even better on the GPX 4000
As for the 2x11"dds,if there not Commander series,they might fetch between $50 to $100 or so on ebay,again depending on condition of the coils.
The craze by the Sudanese at the moment are the 15x12"monos.Good luck to the people here who have got them and are putting them up for sale on ebay.I wont tell you what there selling for.Look that one up your self.

Cheers kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 am

Hi Kon
thanks for your reply the nugget finder is the plain flat slim solid white fiberglass coil as who it's made by i haven't got a clue the label is pritty much faded away .
so do you think this would be a better coil than the 14"coiltec goldstalker eliptical coil for depth and or patch hunting
the DD coils are brand new and never been used they are the standered coil you get from minelab when you buy a 4000 so i will proberly flog them off cheap to some one when i get to Australia
Paul
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Goldslinger.

The 14"coiltek goldstalker mono elliptical coil[I presume it is]will just about cover 70% of your prospecting requirements.It is also a dynamite combination when coupled to a GPX4000,for small pieces of gold from .1gm onwards,[within its certain depth range],but as i've stated before,for outright depth on larger gold nuggets or targets,it will not surpass the 18"round mono.Neither will it surpass the 18"for Patch finding due to the much larger ground coverage the 18" covers.
As for the two DD 11"coils,it sounds like they,re of the GP series blue labeled coils. They should fetch a higher price on the net.Keep in mind though,they were designed for the GP,GPX series detectors and have similar performance to the Commander series coil.They are also a brilliant all round performer on the GPX4000 with discriminating capabilities,and can also be used in mono mode,whereas a mono coil can't be used with discrimination.

Cheers kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi kon
thanks for your help on this subject i will bring all three coils with me when i come over in one week 4 days not that im counting
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  badger Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:22 am

goldslinger wrote:Hi kon
thanks for your help on this subject i will bring all three coils with me when i come over in one week 4 days not that im counting

paul the 18" search coil by nugget finder is a dam good coil for patch finding as i found out last year at southern cross a bit heavy but was worth the hassle did well there and im using it again there in three days time ,basicly it works well in most grounds xcept very salty areas had a lot of trouble even getting balanced but you will get used to it very quikly ,good choice for searching,new areas
cheers badger,
badger
badger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:11 pm

cherrs for that mark i will be bringing both 14" and 18" coils plus booster for thoses deep quiet ones
see you out there
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down