Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DD's and discriminate

2 posters

Go down

DD's and discriminate Empty DD's and discriminate

Post  deutran Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:43 am

When selecting mono on DD's does discriminate still work,got a blanking signal on a large ferrous target today whilst in mono,Ive checked with the manual but its not clear.I was using the standard 11" in a trashy area in mono mode to pick up the signals initially and then switching over to DD to check whilst digging.I do not remember this happening on my Gp3000 but does on the 4500.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

DD's and discriminate Empty Re: DD's and discriminate

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 am

kingfish wrote:When selecting mono on DD's does discriminate still work,got a blanking signal on a large ferrous target today whilst in mono,Ive checked with the manual but its not clear.I was using the standard 11" in a trashy area in mono mode to pick up the signals initially and then switching over to DD to check whilst digging.I do not remember this happening on my Gp3000 but does on the 4500.

Some swear by it, personally I would be very careful. Best method is as you describe, find the target first in your chosen settings for the given area then revert to DD mode for discrim purposes, you can easily set up a custom setting for this then it is just a simple matter of flicking from one setting to the other for a quick ID. eg: Use General search mode for Mono mode arrangement (you can also use the enhance timings when using a DD coil in Mono mode) then have say Deep mode set up with discrimination preset (all other settings the same (Tone, Audio etc), then it's just a matter of flicking from General to Deep and maybe from Enhance to Normal timings (if you decided to use that arrangement) and then re-checking the target.

Hope this helps,

JP

BTW The set up is the same on all the GP series detectors, where Mono mode will provide some blanking effect (if the discrim is on you can also receive a blanking sound using a dedicated mono but it's not reliable)
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

DD's and discriminate Empty Re: DD's and discriminate

Post  deutran Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks Jonathan problem solved,never thought to do it that way.Ive been up at yambulla township lately going through hi-trash areas using DD's.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down