Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alluvial or reef?

3 posters

Go down

Alluvial or reef? Empty Alluvial or reef?

Post  Bol Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 am

Gday one and all.
A question for the members.If you had a choice to go detecting,would you head to an alluvial gold field on the river flats or detect around some of the old reef mines up in the hills?
Which do you think would poduce the most targets?
Cheers.
Bol What a Face
Bol
Bol
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Alluvial or reef? Empty Re: Alluvial or reef?

Post  kon61 Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Well, according to the little man called gravity,most targets gold including man made leftover junk,will over time congregate to what I call,the bottom of the jar,in on alluvial flats surrounding rivers,creeks and gullies.As for the elluviul gold shed from gold bearing reefs higher up on the hill top flats or sides,given enough time,they to will shed their gold and leftover man made junk,once again to the bottom of the jar (alluvial flats).
As for an answer to your question,If one had a choice to go detecting on an alluvial gold field or the adjacent reef mines higher up on the hills,the answer is,to inspect or do both.For if the gully,creek or river bellow was found to be rich in gold bearing wash,I can assure you,it shed from a near by hill,or hill side surrounding.

Cheers Kon. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 pm

...I would be doing the slopes between the reef and the alluvial field, as the area at the lowest point would probable be outside the depth of detectors because of the amount of soil that has weathered down over the past million years and collected. I would be looking for those suckers that hopefully been caught in the bedrock on their way down to the lowest point. I would also be paying particular attention to the drop-off areas on the slopes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 pm

When I go to any spot I like detecting all the bedrock or any very shallow ground or creekbeds where bedrock outcrops, be it up the hill or at the bottom of slopes. I would do the bottom of any small gullies second. I also agree with the other posts on this thread. In regard to the number of targets, many creeks and alluvial diggings are full of non gold targets...but that's a good sign. Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Bol Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies guys Very Happy
Much appreciated Very Happy

Bol What a Face
Bol
Bol
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down