Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets?

3 posters

Go down

Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Empty Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets?

Post  Shinegold Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:10 am

Lets say, the smallest coil on a GP/GPX detector, a 6" round or a 10" elip in mono mode (which ever's more sensitive). How small in nugget size can they go?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Empty Re: Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets?

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 am

My smallest? 0.05grams using a 4000 and a 12" NF Advantage mono. Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Affraid Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Affraid Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Affraid Several bits between 0.07 and 0.10. All no deeper than 2".

Marvelous coil. So is the 16" version. Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Icon_cheers Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Icon_cheers Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Icon_cheers

Robert

Back to top Go down

Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets? Empty Re: Can a GP/GPX with smallest coil match a VLF for small nuggets?

Post  Shinegold Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Last trip I found 3 nuggets that didn't register on the scale, 2 with the 14" e goldstalker and 1 with the 18" elip goldstalker. My scales only do increments of .1, so assuming that it rounds things off (it might not?) then that would mean that those three nuggets would have been less than .05!? I found about six .1 grammers as well all with the 3000.

Your scales must be good, and if you say that there were several between .07 and .1 with the 12" NFA (elip I'm assuming) than that's a good coil although it would also stand to reason that a next size down coil will get smaller nuggets.

I wonder how people with the 6" round or 10dd elip in mono are going?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I own a VLF machine and I have had a few weekends detecting with gp and gpx users. I can tell you that the pi detectors win hands down. The only time vlf are better is in very trashy ground or under power lines/ over telstra lines etc.. They are still very good detectors don't get me wrong. I've detected a .2 gram split shot sinker with an 18" coil. But one night I saw a gp extreme detect a tiny bit o rust from about 3 inches which didn't even register on the field scales. I weighed it on diamond scales and it came in at .010 grams. My detector didn't even register it.

dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 pm

chopppacalamari wrote:I own a VLF machine and I have had a few weekends detecting with gp and gpx users. I can tell you that the pi detectors win hands down. The only time vlf are better is in very trashy ground or under power lines/ over telstra lines etc.. They are still very good detectors don't get me wrong. I've detected a .2 gram split shot sinker with an 18" coil. But one night I saw a gp extreme detect a tiny bit o rust from about 3 inches which didn't even register on the field scales. I weighed it on diamond scales and it came in at .010 grams. My detector didn't even register it.

dicko..

What VLF machine do you own?

You really need to be comparing nuggets to nuggets.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:20 pm

Sorry I have the Whites MXT E series. I have a 6" mono coil, a 6 x 10 DD coil and the 15x18" dd sef butterfly coil.

I have heard that the GMT is better than the MXT for small bits.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:13 am

No, it's a round NF. Yes, my scales are very accurate.
Just a tip for weighing very small nuggets.
Place a nugget of at least 0.2 grams on your scales and then place the little bit on.
This won't work unless your scales can read to 2 decimal places.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  captain 101 Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:32 am

Hi all for your info when I was using my 3000 I found a small run were I took 11 nuggets for 1gm I was using the standard 11" DD that come with the machine and switch was in DD. Since upgrading to the 4500 I have found gold that I have missed with the 3000 so I can only asume that the 4500 should take gold deeper and smaller. Note I have several small species with only specks of gold in them cannot confirm how much gold was in them as I haen,t dollied them but the species about the size of my fingernail.

captain 101
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down