Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts

+2
LONE WOLF XLIX
bicter
6 posters

Go down

Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts Empty Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts

Post  bicter Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi all,
Seeing the latest comment on the eTrex20 makes me wonder if anyone is using the Explorist 510 from Magellan.
At the moment it's available from Dick Smith for $299 with free topo maps via redemption (ends 15Jan13) plus I get a further 5% staff discount Smile .
If you're using this unit, could you please provide feedback on its pro's & cons.
I'm considering this for its touch screen interface and readable fonts (dont need to put glasses on to read the thing).
DSE tells me that it will interface with Google Earth seamlessly as well which is an added bonus.
If you know of a better unit for a lower price, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks
Terry
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts Empty Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts

Post  LONE WOLF XLIX Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi
I cant say about the one your asking about , But i have a explorist 600 and have found it to be reliable , hard to destroy ( eg dropping ) very accurate,
and interfaces with lots maps etc. batt life was and still is good.I have cards i swap for diff places for maps and diff states and no props changing these when needed.even used it in N.Z. and was great. so thats all i can say for that brand. HAD TO ASK ABOUT A PROBLEM I HAD USEING IT AND FOUND BACKUP GREAT FROM COMPANY. Good luck with what ever you get.
LONE WOLF XLIX
LONE WOLF XLIX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2012-07-14

Back to top Go down

Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts Empty Re: Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts

Post  Aussiedetecting Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 pm

I use the 710 & as a dealer I've played around with the 510. In my experience they are worth every cent. Not just for the bush but for everywhere. If you're thinking of getting it, do it. You won't regret it. Plus the desk top interface is great for adding way points on the next spot. Zooming in you can see all the surfacing & ground changes. I wouldn't be without it.
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts Empty Re: Magellan Explorist 510 - Your thoughts

Post  Narrawa Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 am

510 operator here, perfect GPS for marking out the lease boundaries while working in WA.
Iv had to shuv it in the face of those who claim your on their lease only to have them back down due to their stupidity of not knowing their own boundary.
Get the lat & long from tengraph and away you go....do all the work on the PC and upload it to the GPS for in the field operations. Build a rout round the boundary of the pending ground or other, and join the dots... Name the rout and save it and your done...perfect.!.
I use a small 10.1" Eee-Pc for all my mapping and the unit couples well with google earth and Vantage Point for real time moving maps. I dont use ozi-exsplorer so cant comment.

Simply to use touch screen , battery life on Alkaline is ok but i find i get a much better run by using Sanyo Eneloop AAs.

The Suspend mode is absolutely brilliant, this alone will see the batteries last a lot longer than the given 16hrs in the specs.

The camera is not a Panasonic lumix but its usable. Laughing
Take a pic of your nugget in the location you found it and it adds it to the way-point for latter reference.
Bread crumb is a top feature which is still active while in Suspend....so you can always see where you've been..back track is also available if you need to follow your footsteps back in case you dropped something.

Bad points.
Screen is not the best in direct sunlight, nor were the Garmin's iv used. In my opinion they are about the same in direct sunlight. Explorist i believe is bigger tho.???
Touch screen is not always responsive....i can live with it.
Back up service in oz is fine...if your put through to the Philippines for any reason.... poke yourself in the eye repeatedly...its less painful.

I found by stuffing around with mine a secret menu system thats mind blowing...PM me if your interested...im not game to fiddle with it. Laughing

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks for the reply folks,
Especially Narrawa, nice report. One question for you though is what software program is provided with the 510 for doing the preparatory work?
Thanks
TErry
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 pm

One question for you though is what software program is provided with the 510 for doing the preparatory work?
Vantage point.....download from their website free.
All the detailed maps from the GPS will than load onto Vantage point.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Just been down town and got one of the GPS Magellan 510 the old Magellan explorist 500 still works but may be getting a bit fragile Laughing

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Have fun mate. If you need help just shout out
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks, no worries. I've been doing a bit of this since I opened the packet study

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Did you get the adventure pack?
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Aussiedetecting wrote:Did you get the adventure pack?

Yes, the adventure pack comes with the redemption stuff that you fill in and get the bonus that way, should be good. This 510 looks like a much fancier version of the explorist 500 that we have been using for 8 or more years.

I think we will be very happy with it. Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi davsgold,
Did you get the adventure pack with the redemption stuff for $299? The Dick Smith webpage has it for $299 but doesn't say anything about free redemption topo maps.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 pm

When I was at DSE on Thursday, the magellan rep was there and I asked and he confirmed the map upgrade was available if bought from DSE
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 pm

When I was at DSE on Thursday, the magellan rep was there and I asked and he confirmed the map upgrade was available if bought from DSE
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Not just at DSE, all Magellan dealers. Like us santa
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks bicter, how long's the "special price" for, before it's back to normal price (and what is normal price)?
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks bicter, how long's the "special price" for, before it's back to normal price (and what is normal price)?
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussiedetecting Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Normal price is $349 for the 510. The special is you get the adventure pack worth $168.95. Special finishes 15/1/13
Aussiedetecting
Aussiedetecting
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for that Brad, sounds all very tempting. Suppose I better do some research and then see if there's anything left in the kitty, or visa-versa...
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:53 pm

CostasDee wrote:Hi davsgold,
Did you get the adventure pack with the redemption stuff for $299? The Dick Smith webpage has it for $299 but doesn't say anything about free redemption topo maps.
Cheers

Yes Costas $299 from the local Dick Smith shop with the adventure pack when you send in the redemption stuff.

Sorry Brad I didn't know you had them on special also. Sad

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Excalibur63 Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Bicter,
I purchased a 510 two months ago, I'll agree with Narra, great unit, the only thing I find, and thats because of my eye sight is I need to wear glasses adn because of the size of my fingers, I use an ear bud to navigate the screen, all in all, for the price your getting a "big bang for buck" opportunity.

Cheers
Gordon Smile
Excalibur63
Excalibur63
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-05

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum