Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD?

3 posters

Go down

Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD? Empty Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD?

Post  Shinegold Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 pm

I have been contemplating this lately, I would like to chase nuggets that are in the larger range, 10g - 30g range. I know that so would everyone else Twisted Evil , but I cannot afford GP or GPX series and I myself never have found anything larger than 4g with a 3000 that I previously owned. I do not live in an area where you can chase fly-specks unless I have a VLF (which I sold) and I'm not interested in fly-specks anymore.

There's talk with different serial numbers for the 2200 performing differently, which is annoying as perhaps if the 2200 doesn't fall in the 45xxxx/69xxxx range then will it might not be worth it.

There's two options I'm considering:

1: SD 22000 for use with 18DD,

2: SD2000 modded by Ismael, for use with 18DD.

How much do DDs quieten SD machines?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD? Empty Re: Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD?

Post  kon61 Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Substantially.Super quiet on a standard 2000.Both the 2100 and 2200d are pretty much on par with one another,the difference being whether you prefer manual or auto ground balance.Have not used a modded 2000 so can't tell you how deep it will go with an 18 inch DD coil.Depth really depends on how mineralized the ground conditions are,and of course the size,type and orientation of nugget.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD? Empty Re: Which SD to buy for use with 18 DD?

Post  Shinegold Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks Kon61.

I have purchased an SD 2000 so I am looking for a niche coil for that detector. I have been thinking about the 14" DD, or an 18" DD, but which brand, old/new, Q factor...
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Shinegold,
The following opinions are my own and what works for me. Your needs may differ so you much be the judge of your own requirements. Firstly I run an SD2200d. With DD coils, they are not quite as sensitive as mono coils, so you must look at the ground that you are going to detect and decide which coil to use. If you use a 18DD or a 24DD in shallow ground which me more than likely favour the smaller nuggets, then because the large DDs are not as sensitive as the smaller DDs, you will miss the smaller nuggets that are more than likely in the shallower ground. In this ground, I tend to use the 11DD. Of course the 11DD though will give you more sensitivity, but will not penetrate as deep as the larger DD coils. If I know the ground is deep, I will use the 18DD and if I think it's that deep that's it's beyond detector range, I will use the 24DD and have my fingers crossed to maybe hear a very faint deep signal. But as my all round everyday coil, when I'm walking over both shallow and deep and rocky and silt, when I'm not ealy sure what the ground really is, then I use a 14"DD Coiltek Elite coil. I find it a great all rounder and not as heavy as the larger coils but can reach almost as deep and not quite as sensitive as the 11DD but not too far behind.
Anyway that's what works for me.....
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks Costas,

I agree, that seems to be the general gist of it. I already have a mini-ufo which is quiet on my SD, I opted for an 18" DD Pro. I have used a larger mono in my area with the SD and it got deep ground noise. I was always a mono man but it's time I started discovering the magic of DDs Idea
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum