Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news)

4 posters

Go down

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news) Empty SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news)

Post  NorthernLights Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:02 am

Over the past couple of days I have been putting the 'Seben Extreme' metal detector through its paces to see if it measures up to the maker's claims of it's professionalism, but I have to say that this machine failed dismally in every area.

After conducting a number of tests with this machine I was forced to conclude that it is nothing more than a rather expensive child's toy.

The manufacturer makes huge claims for the machine, but I found it was not capable of recognising any non-ferrous item smaller than an Australian 50 cent coin lying on top of the ground within the 'control area', let alone buried within the ground itself.

The construction of the machine itself also leaves a great deal to be desired.
It is quite flimsy by other detector manufacturer's standards and I serious doubt it would last very long at all before developing serious issues.

In conclusion I am forced to recommend that anyone considering purchasing any of the Seben ranmge of metal detectors should give them a BIG miss.

NorthernLights

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Back to top Go down

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news) Empty Re: SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news)

Post  Guest Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 am

A pity you had to buy one to find out. Seben detectors are renowned for their inferior performance.

Back to top Go down

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news) Empty re seben

Post  gold digger Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:37 pm

i bought one on ebay and you are correct not worth the effort cheers steve

gold digger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-20

http://airlie79@yahoo.com.au

Back to top Go down

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news) Empty Seben Extreme

Post  buzzbuzzjanko Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 am

Northem Lights. I wonder if you switched the seben Detecto on by testing it. You are saying that it would not find every nonferous metal smaller that AUS. 50 cent. Here is my test: i have a small nugget burried in my backyard to test my Garret ACE 350, it is 4 inches deep the nuget is 2.9 grams. Thats the size of 3 matcheads together (approx.) The seben finding it, but not every time. That makes it useles. But the beep is just as strong as the one on my Garret ACE 350. Normaly it beeps by the left to the right motion, than back to the left motion it keeps quiet. So , noone gona sweep the same are twice or 3 times I guess. I would describe as capable to find, but unstable or unreliable. cheers

buzzbuzzjanko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news) Empty Seben professional

Post  buzzbuzzjanko Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 am

Hi folks. Sorry for bothering you with my bad spelling again. But there is a lot more to say about the seben metal detector. I did a good look and more tests with it. My conclusion is that the Seben Professional is an unfinished product. The housing or assembly is plastic shells clipped together , and its sort of screeching in my hand as I sweep over the ground. The plug that holds the coil to the controll box is a same plug as you find id on old computer mouse or keyboards. It is deffenitely not connected securely, and becomes disconnected many times during sweeps. It has a handy 12 volts unit with 8 D cells batteries on a shoulder strap and a plug to plug it to the controll box. That 12 volt plug is also inferior and loose. But it will detect metal, gold and silver sometimes. Yes sometimes. Most people here know here that I have a small gold nugget burried in my backyard 4 inches deep , suspended by a fishing line. The nugget is 2.9 grams. It depands on my ajustments, sometimes the beep komes to late, or delay. It means : the beep comes after I passed the target by about 8 inches and same thing as I pass back to the other way. Yesterday I turned both knobs clockwise to the end and it makes hell of the noise but than by lovering the detector close to the ground, it stops the noise totaly, and beeps perfectly over the little nugget. I mean perfectly, with very clear beep and loud. But only for a whyle than the noise returns. To me, it looks as if there is not enough controlls . Why I'm spending so much time with thr Seben detector is that, I have worked in germany for more than 16 years, and I just can not believe that the germans would make such inferior produckt. I will tell you a little story from my experience when I was working in Germany about 40 years ago. I was driving my own small Truck (2 Ton) in the Citty of Hamburg. One day I had to pick up small portable televisions from the Harbour that just arrived fom Japan by Ship. The television units had all a silver sticker ,,sayng,, Made in Germany, But they just arrived from Japan. Well I bought my Seben By e-bay and was send to me from Berlin , Germany. But maybe is the same situation as the televisions, They let some cheap country manufacture them. Hey I'm not defending Germany just blindly or without reason. Just look at the Cars like Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen ect. That have good reputation internationaly. So the Seben is taking the shine out of german precision, and they shout stop selling them , or complete rthem. Cheers and happy new year.
buzz

buzzbuzzjanko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

SEBEN EXTREME metal detector (Bad news) Empty UPDATE

Post  Blazeorange Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

I want to update the public on this detector. Guys, Guys, Guys! These are nothing more than repackaged versions of the vintage 70's, 80's MD's from the U.S. and Europe of which some were (very)hard to adjust. Granted they (are) made out of some cheap, flimsy plastics; some of the cheapest plastics around(They should have used a thicker, harder, ABS-type plastic if they were going to make something in plastic) but the principles for manually ground-balancing of a machine of this type go back decades ago. (Like) the complicated MD's of many years ago, it takes skill to set up the Seben Extreme Power correctly. If not adjusted (perfectly) it will (NOT) detect properly and will be lucky to detect pass the surface at all. (IF) it (is) set up properly, it should be able to go fairly deep (10"+). It'll eliminate certain trash at this point but it (HAS) to be set up precisely. I would (NOT) recommend this MD to someone who's a beginner to metal detecting or someone who is new to this particular machine. Even if one (does) know what they're doing, this detector is unforgiving. Try it out; be adventuresome, but with this machine, just be careful and make sure you're set up in the specific area you want to hunt and most importantly, don't expect this detector to last for more than a week at best, LOL. Cheap Chinese knockoffs. As far as build quality goes? ABSOLUTE JUNK and you may have to break out the epoxy and start shoring it up, Ha, Ha. LOL. Question  santa 

Blazeorange

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-07-10

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum