Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goldstalker 14"x9" on SD/GP

+3
CJ
Granite
Fisherman
7 posters

Go down

Goldstalker 14"x9" on SD/GP Empty Goldstalker 14"x9" on SD/GP

Post  Fisherman Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

G day all
Anyone using the new Goldstalker 14"x9" coil on a SD or GP and if so is it any quieter than the old monos?
How does it compare to the mini ufo?
Thanks
Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Goldstalker 14"x9" on SD/GP Empty Re: Goldstalker 14"x9" on SD/GP

Post  Fisherman Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:22 am

Maybe someone with a SD/GP can give me a comparison between the mini ufo and the 11" commander mono.
Reason that i ask is i'm finding the commander 8" round mono more stable than the mini ufo but i'm looking for a bit more coverage.
Also some interesting news on Ismael's site on modded detectors, looks like minelabs had enough.
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 pm

We have found the 14" eliptical goldstalker a fantastic coil on both the 4000 and 4500 we now use them almost exclusively here in WA. They will easily find bits under .1 of a gram at 2" to 3" as well as bigger bits down much deeper. The best we have found at depth was a 17 grammer at 16" and it was a good signal. Love 'em and won't change until something better comes along. Found over 9oz this month alone with them. Mostly small stuff but some better bits up to 44grams.

Cheers, Jim. cheers

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 pm

In theory a 11ins round mono should have the about the same performance as the 14 x9 elliptcal mono.

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Yes CJ, that is about right but you get a much wider area with the 14". That extra 3" over the course of the day means a great deal more ground covered. More ground covered means more gold.

Cheers, Jim. cheers

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Have to agree Mr Granite
On recent inground tests here in Vic gave an impressive read on the equivalent of 20 Ozs at 33 inches.Its next on my shpping list.Didnt think you could get the best of both worlds with one coil.Less feedback from Emi and mineralisation than a 16 round and great depth.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Gday Guys
I'm running a 14x9 eliptical NF Advantage mono on a 4500 most of the time now. Fantastic coil, smooth as silk, great on sub gram and deeper pieces and quiet as. I'm pretty certain that the emi levels are markedly lower than other coils I've used, perhaps with the exception of the Commander 8" mono.
As Granite says, much better coverage than the smaller coils though.
It's definitely quieter than the Coiltek mini UFO.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:34 pm

There's more than a few people who consider the Goldstalker ranger to be the "UFO coil for the GPX". I think the sensitivity is very similar and the UFO is better suited to the SDs and GPs whereas the Goldstalker Coilteks are promarily aimed at the GPXs whilst working nicely on the earlier detectors.

Mulgadansa
, you're quite right. The new Advantage Series coils are deliberately shielded against EMI (more effectively than their prior series of NF coils. It howls on larger, deeper gold but is AMAZING on the subgrammers. I find this coil works particularly well if you set the swing speed on your detector to "slow". Seems to be as sensitive as the 8" Commander on the little bits. You've probably done well with your coil if you've already gotten used to the 8" Commander.

This coil should work fine with the SDs and GPs. They're currently considered to be hard to obtain at the moment. Should be some more hitting the stores over the next week or so - if they haven't already. I've got three from this series but the 14x9 is the preferred favourite for searching.

NOTES:
* These coils seem to produce a barely audible 'whine' that you can hear with your ears if close enough. Curious.
* The new Advantage series is water tested to 0.5 meters.
* When the Advantage coils hit a VERY small target, the EMF "locks on" to the target as the field from the coil anchors to it. The first pass might be faint if you swing the coil fast ... but after a slower swing back over the target, the coil+detector really seems to latch on. The downside is that I once detected a minute, 3mm flake of metal from what I suspect was probably a trail bike. I wasted nearly 20 minutes trying to find what I thought was a little 0.5 gram nugget.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Interesting stuff Nero.
Food for thought, the 14x9 vs the 11" mono, one covers more ground one way while the other covers it in depth.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:02 am

Dig24crt wrote:Have to agree Mr Granite
On recent inground tests here in Vic gave an impressive read on the equivalent of 20 Ozs at 33 inches.Its next on my shpping list.Didnt think you could get the best of both worlds with one coil.Less feedback from Emi and mineralisation than a 16 round and great depth.
Cheers Dig

I would think a 16" round mono would be a better choice than a 14x9" mono, BUT Dig explains it above. The 16" round mono should get the small stuff too and also punch down deeper. Would the 14x9" get smaller pieces at a deeper depth than the 16" ??

Last edited by Beer Beeper on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:54 am

Gday

I have used the nf 14x9 advantage mono on the gpx4500, it is without doubt a great coil, with excellent depth and sensitivity, its a good coil for general seaching but I do believe that it would not have the same depth capability of the 14" nf advantage round coil which I have also.

More often than not I found myself going back to the Minelab 11" commander mono coil, with which I seem to be finding the majority of my gold with these days, firsly I prefer round coils to eliptical ones, and found the 14x9 to be awkward to use, particularly when looking for a small piece, as it is an open spoked coil it is harder to sort the piece from the dirt, with the solid 11"mono I just dribble the handful of dirt on to the top of the coil until the pieces sounds off, cant do that with the 14x9, I tried to get a solid skid plate for it but there were none available at the time.

Also in rocky and rubbly ground the 11" commander is easier to get down in between the rocks and rubble, making the target easier to hear, depth wise I would have to say that it would be equally as good as the 11X9 from what I have found with it to date, sure the ground covereage is not the same but it all depends on the conditions that you are using it in , I am often surprised at the sizes of the nuggets I get with it and at the depth it will detect them at.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:54 am

I use elliptcal coils 99.9% of the time as they are the best for the rough areas I work, not some much to cover more ground but to be able to poke around in tight spots

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 am

Stayer you are right no way would 14x9 have the same depth as the 14ins round, the 14ins round has an area of 154sq.ins. the 14x9 99sq.ins. they say you can use the area as a rule of thumb when compareing round with elliptcal, mind you other things most likely come into it build quality ext.

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 am

Cheers Dig

G day Dig was this with a gpx?

cheers Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:30 pm

By stayyer> I have used the nf 14x9 advantage mono on the gpx4500, it is without doubt a great coil, with excellent depth and sensitivity, its a good coil for general seaching but I do believe that it would not have the same depth capability of the 14" nf advantage round coil which I have also.

By CJ> Stayer you are right no way would 14x9 have the same depth as the 14ins round, the 14ins round has an area of 154sq.ins. the 14x9 99sq.ins. they say you can use the area as a rule of thumb when compareing round with elliptcal, mind you other things most likely come into it build quality ext.

stayyer and CJ, yes you are both right the round 14" is deeper that the elliptical 14" on larger nuggets, BUT the elliptical 14" might be deeper than the round 14" on smaller nuggets less than about 2 grams or so.

Also stayyer, if you love the round 11" Commander mono you may try the round NF 12" Advantage mono, but would it really be any better?

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 pm

It has often been quoted that the diameter of a round coil is the coils depth limit but how do you arrive at this limit with an eliptical mono coil?

And how is it that you can find a 17 grammer at 16" with a 14" eliptial mono? Or a 4oz speci containing an oz at 14" with an 11" round mono?

It all works in theory or in testing but not when you are in the field. When in the field every nugget is different. Every operator is different. Every detector is different, and there is no testing that can replicate being out there amongst the real gold that is in the ground where it has lain for maybe millions of years.

We love our 4500's and our Coiltek 14" eliptical Goldstalkers they have found us over half a kilo this year and that is in a total time of less than 2 months work.

But what the heck its not just the gold, its being out here that counts. cheers

Cheers, Jim

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 am

Jim you compare the area of the coils an 11ins round is 95sq.ins the 14x9 is 99sq.ins so you would expect them to have about the same depth.

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:55 am

Hi All
The Test that Raymond J and I did where done to see what to see primarily what works best for us in Vic to reach the 36 inch mark.And to get the confidence in our equipment that if we were going to detect areas of that depth at least we were hitting the bottom.We ran a good sd2200 set ch 2 and deep with an 18dd pro over first.To get the signal to aim for.We ran also a gp3000 and a gpx4000.We ran also the following coils a Nuggetfinder 25 Mono Nuggetfinder 16 round Mono Nugget finder 16dd.Our choices we made on the following criteria.Which coil gave the best result for its size and weight and had less feedback from mineralisation and emi.In DDs the 18dd coiltek pro The trouble is they are heavy.The nuggetfinder 16dd lightweight gave a slightly lesser signal but stopable but you could swing it all day so we rated it No 1.In Monos the 25 mono nuggetfinder gave to much feeback.The 16 round mono gave a good read but the 14 x9 was quiter.We have made the following choices for Victoria .A 14x9 mono for the best of both worlds.A 16 lightweight DD for when emi and mineralisation is to strong.For greater search area up the specs on the dd to a lightweight 18dd for monos 16 round mono or larger elipical.The above test was only done to be confident in reach the mid 30 inch mark.
Fisherman did not test the gpx4500.
The best read for the gp4000 was in general on the front end cap set in "sensitive "smooth did not pick up target at all.
Perhaps someone can inform whether enhance has the same effect on the gpx4500
Cheers Dig
PS I wont be drawn on a brand war.Nuggetfinder Lightweight 16 dd was chosen buy us because of it weight .As for the others mentioned its not by brand but configuration.

Last edited by Dig24crt on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 am

Hi All

...is enhance on the 4500 the same as sensitive smooth on the 4000 .. as what the above test told us was deep down sensitive smooth did not pick up the target at all... (33inches @ 20ozs).

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm

....Less feedback from Emi and mineralisation than a 16 round and great depth.

Dig, was that 16" coil from the Advantage series?

Beer Beeper wrote:
I would think a 16" round mono would be a better choice than a 14x9" mono, BUT Dig explains it above. The 16" round mono should get the small stuff too and also punch down deeper. Would the 14x9" get smaller pieces at a deeper depth than the 16" ??

My 16" Round Advantage Mono just arrived... yet to try it out. Technically the smaller elliptical 14x9" monoloop coil should find smaller bits at depth although the 16" should certainly go deeper. The 16" is supposed to be the maximum size before interference & ground noise kicks in to unacceptable levels. Still, plenty of good gold have been won with 18" and larger coils.

JP got his hands on an 18" AND a 16" monoloop coils from the Advantage
series... he may chime in here soon to tell us how he found them. I
believe he did nicely in WA with these coils.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for sharing some test results Dig and to everyone else.
I've decided to give the mini ufo one more go next week on some quieter ground.
If that does'nt work then the 14"x9" will be on the shopping list after i get rid of a few coils no point in keeping them all if you never use them.

Thanks Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down