Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others

+8
buck06
Granite
forester01
gollstar
Grandfather Johnson
gim
Big Ozzie Man
Celeste
12 posters

Go down

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others Empty Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi All,
Just a quick question to see who puts their detector coil over holes left by others... I do and investigate when I get a signal. To the person that left a hole open out on the Dunolly Fields recently without filling it in then Karma got you.... this is what u walked away from. I came up and investigated the sound.....
5 grams of the good stuff... Trying to upload picture.. hows it done

Ray

Last edited by raymondj on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trying to upload pict.)

Back to top Go down

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others Empty Re: Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 pm

hi
 yes i do.
 got a 2 grammer in a open hole in tarnagulla a month ago

Last edited by day one on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others Empty Re: Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others

Post  Celeste Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:34 pm

This just sounds so 'dirty'. Embarassed Can't stop laughing. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Celeste
Celeste
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Ozzie Man Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I've seen numerous nuggets over the years come out of old holes, left open by mostly newbie's.
Big Ozzie Man
Big Ozzie Man
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:50 pm

yes but only ever found junk in them.

Back to top Go down

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others Empty holes dug by others

Post  gim Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:33 pm

yes, 2 half grammers in two holes about a 1m apart...john...

gim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Just this past weekend I got two small (under.5g) bits from old dig holes / scrapings.

Both holes appeared to be a few years old, possibly earlier detectors or a largish coil picking up a slight signal and after a rough investigation being dismissed as ground noise? The 4500 with an 11" mono loves the tiny bits!

Back to top Go down

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others Empty in other peoples holes

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi All,
The very first nuggy i ever found .3gr, I'd just walked about 6km and was just going to go over the last hill to get back to camp and woop-woop. Dropped all the gear, run over the hill to get the missus and told her to bring her gear to hear the sound, anyway i took my nuggy up and she checks in the hole again and woop-woop she's cracked one outer me hole.To make it worse the nuggies shaped as if someone is holding up two fingers with the other fingers folded, i said fair go, she said piss off this is my spot now, and told me to rack off and go and find your own. I went off parallel with the hill and walked straight into another woop-woop, picked up a large rock, about 3-4" square and tossed it checked the hole -nothing ,swung over the rock and one side had a layer of quartz about 6mm thick peppered with gold(the moral of the story- listen to what your wife tells you), anyway we've picked out about 12 nuggies for about 1oz+, the largest 8gr.We keep going back to that spot and always manage to find one more, just outside the perimeters we used before,the last one was the first we found at depth @ 7"", about 5gr attached to ironstone totally covered in quartz with just a few windows of ironstone poking thru, with the gold sticking out of one corner, the rock being about 2" square.
So the other moral to the story is to check all the holes wether there yours or not!!
Regards Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:13 am

Gday

I have found lots of small pieces in old dig holes, very often on exposed scrapings, so I have just concluded that the original operator was using a big coil that lacked sensitivity and once the piece was disturbed from its resting place they could not hear it any more so they moved on.

The other thing is to always put your coil back over a dig hole when you have taken a piece from it as there have been lots of times when there has been another piece in there with it, sometimes there might be a bit of tin or something with it too.

A well known prospector from the Cue area told me how he walked upon a fairly fresh dig hole, and he saw an old coke can standing in the mound of dirt at the side of the hole, on reaching it and still swinging he booted the can away and ran the coil back over the hole, he got a a clear signal from the hole, thinking it was another can in someones rubbish hole he half heartedly started to dig, a bit further down was a quartz specimen nugget that contained seven ounces of gold. Very Happy

Same thing has happened to me except I dug further down for the coke can Mad

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:22 pm

About 11 or 12 years ago when i started detecting i had been going for about a month with only a couple match head sized nuggets for my efforts Mad and i started to think all i had read in the Gold Gem and Treasure may not be true Embarassed ,anyway i was walking past a fresh detector hole so i waved the coil over it and got a low moan,i did'nt know if it was a signal or ground noise but decided to dig a bit out, waved the coil again and it came up real loud,after a five minutes it was out of the hole and i was holding a solid seven a half once nugget Surprised Shocked Very Happy Laughing , i have found several in holes since but none as big as my first and it is still the biggest i have found.I felt sorry for the poor bugger who left it there But not for long Smile .
Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Sunday, a 1.2g nugget from an old hole and a 16g speckie yeilding 2.5g of the good stuff when smooshed from not 6 inches away Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 am

christ on a crutch ray you had me worried for a second but i fill in my holes, but i did meet two kiwis over here for 2 weeks both had hired gpx 45s,tell me it wasnt around inkerman i highly doubt it could be me but it could have been the kiwis,
p.s where has that big yellow grader gone to next,ive got a propasition for the driver.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm

Hey gollstar...
yep it was inkerman.. just off rock of ages track...

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  forester01 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Celeste wrote:This just sounds so 'dirty'. Embarassed Can't stop laughing. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Celeste,
you have a sense of humour similar to that of my missis. She also saw the ironic side of it.

Forester
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others Empty Prospecting Holes Left by Others

Post  forester01 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Yes Ray,
I've made a habit of this, depending how tired I am. But so far all I've found is the junk left by the lazy skates who left their holes unfilled. But hope remains.

Mike W
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Today, Mt Magnet. First boot scrape a few days old gave a signal. 2 nuggets, .9 and 1.1. Two metres away another boot scrape and a 1.2 nugget. Then there was the little plastic scoop in a tree beside the scrapes. Lovely people who had been there before me marked the gold and left a little scoop to help find the gold. What more could you ask for. cheers

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Nice Jim
You can keep the nugs ,but could I have my scoop back
Cheers Noel

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:04 am

last sunday only gold i got was from fresh digs from the day before not mine Very Happy in the dirt round the dig holes all under a gram . total 1.8 grams . thanks to who ever dug then for me . cheers using 4500 and a joe coil plus headphones cheers buck lol! lol! lol!
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:20 am

I found this yesterday in someones left open dighole.

JP

200 grams total, hopefully half gold.

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others IMG_3526-1 Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others IMG_3527-1

Do u put your coil into/over holes dug by others IMG_3486-1
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:40 am

nice! that's one for the dollypot or alibrite

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 am

I did over at Dunolly two weeks ago and ended up with a dollar coin at the bottom of the hole,I'm sure it was placed for a joke and yes the gold flash had me going for a second pale
It did bring me luck however as the remainder of the trip went well after that find and found several nice bits of yellow.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:51 am

G day all
I can't believe the size of some of these nuggets, what's wrong with people.
I've always thought that you will only find tiny pickers were someones using a big coil and has lost the target once disturbed it's happened to me.
O well serve themselves right for not filling their hole.

Brett
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  gildedprospects Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 pm

MS wrote:I did over at Dunolly two weeks ago and ended up with a dollar coin at the bottom of the hole,I'm sure it was placed for a joke and yes the gold flash had me going for a second pale

Someone with a sense of humour! Better than another ringpull at least Laughing

gildedprospects
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down