Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold bug 10' eliptical DD

3 posters

Go down

Gold bug 10' eliptical DD  Empty Gold bug 10' eliptical DD

Post  1864hatter Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey guys just bought a 10' DD coil for the gold bug. Has anyone ever used one of these?

1864hatter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2012-05-18

Back to top Go down

Gold bug 10' eliptical DD  Empty Re: Gold bug 10' eliptical DD

Post  kon61 Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm

G'day 1864hatter.Are we talking for the original GB or GB2 or the DP Pro? A little more info would help here chum.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  1864hatter Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:08 am

Hey there mate its the newest version of the gold bug. It is the one with the lcd screen and operates at 18.75khz. comes standard with the 5'DD which ive used for around a year. hope that helps Very Happy

1864hatter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 pm

G'day 1864Hatter.

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of using the new 10 inch fisher DD on the gold bug Pro,due to parting with my similar in apearance special edition God Bug,prior to its introduction.The new Fisher 10x5 dd elliptical was not available at that Time(referring to about a year or so back) and I was forced to use the 11 inch ribbed open spoke DD that was available for the Technetics T2 at the time.I know which one your referring to,the new Fisher 10x5 dd with the bright gold lettering on top of coil stamped Gold Bug.A freind of mine has and uses this coil on his Fisher F5 and found it to run reasonably well over hot ground but at no more than half gain,even though his F5 runs on 7.8khz.The thing I like to state here is that,this new DD coil by Fisher themselves has been wound to suit the 19khz frequency of your machine,not like the 13khz 11 dd that was given to me at the time.Not straying off the subject,your new coil should be right on par with its sibbling brother(the 5 inch round).It will have a little less sensitivity to gold below 0.1gm but punch deeper than the 5 inch on nuggets above the gram mark.I don't know the ground conditions of where you intend prospecting there in NZ,but here in Vic,swinging over the hotter more highly mineralized sections of ground causes all VLFs to become very noisy forcing one to run the Gold Bug Pro mostly in discriminate mode.So if your ground where gold lies is reasonably quiet of mineralization,you'll find the new gold bug a treat.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm using a 10x5"DD on a Gold Bug-Pro, works well on the ground I've had it on even on pickers smaller than 0.1gram.
With a long lower shaft extended it will reach well up/down a creek bank.
It will not outperform a PI unit on hot ground, but it can be carried as an excelent pinpointer or used as a stand alone detector where PI's are cumbersome.
It's also a lovely park/beach detector, 10" coil is perfect size on play grounds.
Gold bug 10' eliptical DD  GoldBugPro_Coils
The NEL 12x13"DD also 19kHz is sweet for beach work.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  1864hatter Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Cheers guys thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Ive used the 5'inch coil in the area where Im going to use the 10inch. I never had any problem with it there and was able to run the detector with virtually full gain. Im going to spend a week or so giving the new coil a workout, will post my finds after the trip. I mostly bought the 10inch because I wanted something with a bit more depth which the new coil seems well suited to..
Thanks again

1864hatter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down