Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPextreme question

2 posters

Go down

GPextreme question Empty GPextreme question

Post  TuronYellowFever Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Headed out to my usual hunting ground with my gpextreme, beautiful cool day, inspected some good looking ground and decided to get started. I rigged up and flicked the on switch but could hear nothing but a very fine constant signal. I thought maybe flat battery...no, tried my mates leads still nothing. Replaced my 8" mono for 11" dd and then got the usual sweet humming and thought oh well, my 8" coil is buggered. After getting started with an 11" fitted I realized after waiving it over a tin can that my detector was not detecting metal at all.

Does anyone know of a common problem with the extreme that can cause the above.

please help.

TuronYellowFever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

GPextreme question Empty Re: GPextreme question

Post  AraratGold Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Gidday TuronYellowFever ( a real name would be nice ),
I bought an extreme a few years ago from a lady who stated that the machine had a problem. It was the exact same problem you describe. The machine had a threshhold but would not detect even my pick head. Shocked
Sent it back to Minelab and it came back fixed. I would suggest you do the same. Make sure you give a detailed description of what the problem is and what you have done by way of coil changing etc.
Cheers,
Rick in Ararat
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  TuronYellowFever Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks Ric

The names Matt btw. Do you know if Minelab have a standard fee for servicing and is there any other companies that perform repairs on Minelab machines ?

cheers.

Matt

TuronYellowFever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Matt,
I was a Minelab dealer in Alice Springs at the time, and the unit was still under the 5 year Aventure Club warranty, so no cost to me. From what I have heard though, most repairs don't amount to much more than about $100 plus post.
I believe Minelab are the only people that can repair any of the GP and GPX machines, as schematics are not available for them ( I will stand corrected if this not the case ).
Woody may be able to repair SD machines.
Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down