Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chasing the source

3 posters

Go down

Chasing the source Empty Chasing the source

Post  x-terra Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi
Just after some advice, I have found some small gold (pin head up to rice size) that rolls around the pan very easy. As it's not worn much would it be worth chasing the source or would it be to small to detect at the source. All input is much appreciated
Cherrs Tim

x-terra
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2011-09-30

Back to top Go down

Chasing the source Empty Re: Chasing the source

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:11 am

x-terra wrote:Hi
Just after some advice, I have found some small gold (pin head up to rice size) that rolls around the pan very easy. As it's not worn much would it be worth chasing the source or would it be to small to detect at the source. All input is much appreciated
Cherrs Tim

Gday Tim

If the gold particles can roll about in the pan that makes me think that they are worn and rounded, gold that is close to a source tends to be jagged and prickly, sharp to the touch even, if you have a jewellers loupe then close inspection of the pieces will give you the answer.

If you still think after examining them that they appear coarse then it may be worth your while to do further testing of the site, carry out some loaming, it would be almost impossible to use a detector for the really fine stuff but any pieces that are say rice sized should detectable with the right machine.

You can get a book called "Loaming for Gold" by SJ Cash, some detector shops carry the later version, it will explain how to go about loaming to find a source if it still exists.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Chasing the source Empty book

Post  starry Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:33 pm

hay X_Terra if you look on ebay there is a copy of that book on there now , just type into search box (loaming for gold) and you will find , plenty of good info in this book

Cheers Mick
starry
starry
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-08-02

http://tas-prospecting.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 pm

I've got the perfect book for ya Tim,

Come by and see me.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:27 am

G'day x-terra!

A very easy to follow short story about this sort of thing. It's from 1905 and is a good read: study

http://www.jacklondons.net/goldcanyon.html

Enjoy! flower

KAEOJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Yep. That is a great story! and a perfect example of loaming.

Makes you wonder how many locations may still be hiding due to personal injury? "Not a Gun shot".

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Back to top Go down