Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quattro

5 posters

Go down

Quattro Empty Re: Quattro

Post  foot69 Tue May 26, 2009 6:30 pm

I've been watching these on Ebay lately, the prices are sometimes more than the quatro's are selling for.
I thought it was 'nostalgia' kicking in after reading that spots that where cleared out with the XT's grew more nuggets when the SD2000's were walked over the same spots.
Is the Quattro the Pick of the XT series or would you go an 18000 or 17000 instead, prices seem to be similar.. (ie within a couple of hundred.)

foot69
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 pm

I think you'll find that the Quattro/E-trac won't ground-balance properly on the Goldfields (same with the Explorer/Safari) when compared to the older XT's. JP's right in that the XT 17000 was a great Gold machine and it was (and to a degree still is) a very good Gold detector. They do vary slightly in terms or sensitivity and I often find that one will be more sensitive than another. I don't know if this is due to age or mishandling though because this is in relation to second-hand detectors.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Quattro Empty Eureka!

Post  detectoraid Wed May 27, 2009 9:48 am

From a thread at nuggethunting.com

http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6087

Hi All,

I recently tested several VLF's on some very hot ground in AZ.

Gold Bug. Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Lobo, Garret Scorpion, Whites GMT, MXT, Minelab Eureka and Xterra 70.

The Gold Bugs, Lobo and Scorpion would not GB and were useless.

The Whites were chatty and had really no depth.

The Eureka and Xterra had no problem GB'ing to the test bed of ironstones altho the Xterra would overload on 1 large ironstone.

The test nugget was a solid round flat nugget @ 1/4 gram.

The Eureka Had the best depth @ 3'' followed by the Xterra and GMT at 2" If you didn't know the target was there you would have dismissed it as ground noise with the Whites.

My choice Minelab, unmatched in it's ability to GB and track hot ironstone rich ground.

nvchrishttp://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6087
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 11:01 am

The Eureka is a great VLF and definately a huge improvement over the XT's and I had a lot of fun with it. But now that I am using a 4500 I think it would drive me crazy with the ground noise. Used a Xterra 70 and although sensitive in Prospecting mode was a bit noisey but in coin mode in tracking was really good in mineralised ground and even if it did not pick up sub grammers it was perfect for the junk areas.
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Very interesting test detectoraid! Wow, so the Eureka Gold won 1st place in the test followed by the X-Terra 70(2nd place) in Prospecting Mode, which has the same performance in Prospecting Mode as the EG because I was told that by Minelab, but the EG will perform a bit better due to better adjustments and the 60 kHz.

I wish you would have tried a Sovereign GT in All-Metal Auto GB -Tracking mode in that test bed also??

Last edited by Beer Beeper on Fri May 29, 2009 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Wed May 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi, I would like to see a similar test of these detector's on some of the soil out here.
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down