Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition]

+7
TWO BOB
granite2
Flakmagnet
The Modern Day Prospector
byronbinalong
shelby23
nero_design
11 posters

Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty "Do not try to compete" [2012 edition]

Post  nero_design Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 am

I've never seen a need to repost an older thread but i think this one is worth a look at again. The information may be of interest the new members and I'd like re-post it... almost 3 years down the track on New Year's Eve: December 2011. Older members might appreciate it if they missed it the first time. I've corrected some grammatical errors that I spotted from the first posting and I have also added further quotes from the article titled "Know What You Are Doing" by J. Gladdis. Surprisingly we were discussing the use of camouflaged gear at the time for some reason (I guess some things never change). The picture below was taken by me on a trip some years ago - of an old detecting friend who gave up the hobby after becoming frustrated in finding little gold on the same day this picture was taken. This was our last trip out together detecting.

Post nero_design on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:10 am
KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
(extract) by J. Gladdis

"J. Gladdis wrote an article for beginners which was probably penned when he was at Minelab ... and on the first page he said you can't believe anything people tell you about coil depth or detector performance because it's all subject to a great deal of exaggeration and even nuggets are often not found where people will swear they dug them simply because "a fib has been told". This is something he has observed when a person claims to have found a nugget and then their partner or friend has come along with their own detector to wave around the refilled hole, finding nothing. Thus giving the impression that "perhaps the equipment was at fault."

"The very first considerations are asking yourself why you are detecting and how serious you are and then adjust your line of thinking as such. If you are a hobbyist, treat detecting as a hobby and enjoy doing it. If you decide to become more professional, then treat detecting as such, remember that you only get out what you put in; frame of mind and approach is everything."

"Research is very important before heading off to an area to detect whether it is for gold or for coins. It is no good going into an area looking for nuggets if the only gold found there is too fine; as this will not be detectable. Many times over the years I have received phone calls from people saying that they have only picked up bullets and rubbish and cannot understand why they have not found gold. After questioning them on location I explain why. Just having a detector and being in the a Goldfield does not guarantee Gold. In fact being in the right area does not guarantee Gold with a detector, but at least it is on the right track. Learn to read the country and what flora is there, believe me it all helps to find gold. Then get your detector on the ground and use it; time spent is gold got."

"Get to know your detector. Know what makes it work for you, what it does, and what it can do. Let it become and extension of yourself. Relax and enjoy what you are doing. Do not be overly influenced by what other people tell you. Have confidence in your own ability and in your own detector."

He continues:"Do not try to compete with others, do your own thing and enjoy what you are doing. The one thing people do when they get together on a Gold field is to compare their findings. In school, this is called "show and tell"; I call it "one up man-ship". For someone new this can be quite demoralizing. They can feel that they are not performing, not knowing what they are doing and/or that their own equipment is inferior, therefore not having a chance at all. We have all been there and felt this. Most of us have also had days where we have not found gold and query our own equipment."

"Do not be completely influenced by these helpful tips and hints, Just remember them and keep them in the back of your mind. Maybe tomorrow is your turn to find the big one; this usually means you have to walk over the right spot. If someone tells you that they found something at a particular depth and you test your machine over the same depth and you do not hear anything, do not panic. This could simply mean that a fib has been told, his hearing may be better than yours, or he has been using other equipment. We all get excited from time to time and over exaggerate a little. Just remember, that this type of behavior is just to put people off and to upset others. Do not let this bother you because in this game others make themselves look better and feel good by simply stretching the truth."

I thought these words might be encouraging to new detectorists venturing out. Don't be discouraged by the stories you read of the success of others and what they've found, or the articles in magazines that are often the highlights of a single person's research and expenses (and commitment) in the goldfields. Something I try to impress upon people who want to pursue a hobby or even a professional interest in Gold Nugget hunting is that Gold is actually a lot harder to find than the publications and internet stories would have you believe. The price of Gold is usually an indication of just how much effort is involved in finding it. If it was easy to find, the price wouldn't be nearly as high as it is. We're very lucky to have the rich Goldfields that we have in Australia and our detecting cousins from overseas must feel a little disenchanted when they see what sort of riches we can find in our backyards.

There's a very competitive nature in Gold Prospecting which seems to draw out a lot of bad behaviors in people... leading to fights among friends and even family. I'm not even talking about internet arguments either! Some psychologists suggest that males are wired to be competitive in all things related to "hunting" and Nuggeting is clearly in that realm. Otherwise it's possible you wouldn't see as much cammo gear available for detecting (eg. Cammo Control Boxes, Cammo Vests & Battery Harnesses, Cammo hats etc). I'm not complaining though because I wear some of it myself but mainly because it hides a lot of dirt stains. But others admit to wearing cammo so they can operate "quietly". Anything that gives them an edge is something they'll consider.

But isn't it really about having fun? Even when the full-time professionals talk about their better days, they usually describe a euphoric experience after finding something pretty spectacular. Any detectorist (and probably panner/sluicer) always seems to remember their first gold. For some of the best pros out there, it took over a year or more to find their first piece. If there's anything to be learned in recent years, trying not to be competitive and simply enjoying the experience is really what it's all about."

Cheers,

Marco

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Large

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty Re: "Do not try to compete" [2012 edition]

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:02 am

Strewth Marco,

What was in your Xmas Pudding, LMAO

Have a happy New Year.

DINGO

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty Hi from Neale in Biloela Queensland

Post  shelby23 Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:25 am

Hi
I think it is a great Post.
Thank you.

Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty Re: "Do not try to compete" [2012 edition]

Post  byronbinalong Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:45 am

Thank you Nero
You are spot on with the "male" brain workings = a mate had to have the best Rolling Eyes if he lost,if it was on motor bikes,shooting,hunting what ever What a Face he blamed the equip and went out and bought bigger,better and faster .... still lost affraid not so interested in pursuing these hobbies anymore ... just sits at home with the fastest and biggest computer now and yes he wins with the puter now.

happy new year and may gold flow your way cheers cheers
BB
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:49 am

Good post again Nero, I took the following line out of your post ( There's a very competitive nature in Gold Prospecting which seems to draw out a lot of bad behaviors in people... leading to fights among friends and even family.) and I will add anything were money is involved, brings out the greed in people, I've seen people who are friends turn on each other and come to blows after a pokie win and they couldn't agree on splitting the money. I like the photo to Nero, looks like most of the ground here in Queensland you know there's gold there to be found but the grass is 10 foot high.
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:52 am

Gday

It is true that gold can cause issues for some people and I have seen this sort of thing first hand many times, its a bit sad really, I have seen people sulking after seeing someone else getting a nugget, I have seen them pretend to have not found a nugget so as not to have to share it with you as per the agreement and still stick their hand out for a share of what you have found.

It seems that gold can bring the very worst out of some people and the very best out of others, the only advice I can give the new player in regards to this is to do one of two things, first thing is to be absolutely sure of the people you partner up with, if you start getting suspicious due to their behaviour or what they say contradicts what they have told you in the past then you need to be cautious and dont put yourself in the position of being ripped off.

Secondly make sure that you have an agreement between you before you start, either to share your combined finds or go finders keepers, I have done the share things with people and have been dissapointed, probably the finders keepers agreement is the way to go and at least that way you dont have to be concerned and wonder what they are up to.

One other point I would make is that there are people about that make a point of latching on to new detectorists and people that could possibly show them areas that they are unfamiliar with, these types are easily recognise as they will push you to go the the spots you know but will be reluctant to take you to any of theirs, new detectorist are often more eager to walk the ground an do the hard yards than some older ones are and they are simply using you to cover ground, the first indication is you will get is when you get on to a patch or something and they swoop in for the clean up, sometimes even trying to guide you away from it to somewhere else so that they can come back at a later date themselves.

These types are only in a very small percentage but be warned that the longer you are at this hobby and the more people you are in contact with, you will possibly at some time get involved with someone like that, I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt as you should, and I think its a bit unfair to treat people with suspicion due to the actions of others, its much easier to be straight up and honest with people, in order to be a good liar you have to have an excellent memory, as the details of a lie are harder to remember than the truth and invariably a liar will bring themselves undone by changing the details of their story each time its told so it usually wont take them long to expose themselves.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Nero

Another thoughtful and interesting post.
You have a nice eye for material that is relevant.

I have met some of the smartest most honest and funniest people I know
through my hunt for gold. I wish that for everyone.

Happy New Year and thank you.
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:22 am

Hi Nero, I read that publication by John Gladdis just after wrote it and always thought that John was one of the most knowlegable prospector on the fields. He was, and still is a magnet for gold and can find the stuff where no one else could. I have known john for about 30 years and can say he is one of natures gentlemen. The first time I met him was when he arrived at our club campfire one night at Ararat. We had been doing OK but John insisted he show us some good spots and we did much better. I couldn't believe that anyone would show a mob of people he didn't know where to find gold, but John has been doing it ever since that day back in the early 80's and continues even today.

Over the years we have had a lot of great times with John and still consider him one of our best friends and probably the most knowledgable person in Australia on designing and making search coils. Some of his prototypes and designs have never seen the market and now he has retired probably never will but I can tell you that if they did it would be unlikely there would anything out there to match them on performance.

The coil and detecting industry has seen an incredible amount of input by John since he joined Minelab and later when he was the driving force behind the huge Coiltek success story. The industry, and all prospectors, owe him a huge debt of gratitude and I for one am proud to know him.

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:13 am

"Gold does funny things to people",never a truer line has been spoken.
I enjoy just being out the bush,away from the crowds and everyday life of the city,where I can just relax and de-stress.
A mate of mine gets really competitive when it comes to Gold and can become a sook if he is outdone. The fact he hasnt updated his detector in 8 years and pisses most of his money against the wall dosent compute in his head Rolling Eyes . To each their own.
Another new chum I know wants to weigh up everyones nuggets at each break to compare finds. He then rants and raves about techniques (he has only been detecting for 14 mnths) and then goes into the tech workings of the detector,trying to tell us how all the different circuits and gizmos work.
To me its all BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. Razz

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty RE; "Do not try to compete" [ 2012 edition]

Post  TWO BOB Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 am

Hear, Hear.
Jim , Could not agree more about John Gladdis. Laughing Laughing
Nero, This post is great info for the new gold seeker. cheers cheers
"TWO BOB"
TWO BOB
TWO BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty Do Not Compete

Post  Grandfather Johnson Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am

(he has only been detecting 14 months) Many years ago i had a newbe contact me to explain the ins & outs of detecting for him,I did this a couple of times.Some six months later i ran into him & asked how he was going,He said he had been to the (triangle few times & up to Clermont but had'nt found any Gold as yet),He then went on to tell me what i was doing wrong and avised me what i could do to improve my technique Shocked .Talk about instant experts Evil or Very Mad ,BLAH BLAH BLAH clown

Just having a little rant,Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty RE; "Do not try to compete" [ 2012 edition]

Post  flyspecks Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:47 am

GREAT post nero,,sadly, it also happens in the game of golf Shocked Surprised
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 am

Ran into John 11 years ago in Adelaide when I bought my first machine,a 2200. "But what does it really look like John " Rummaged around in his briefcase and pulled out a .1 which he gave to me as a test piece. Sums up the mans values in one. Hope your well John.
DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Excellent Post Marco. We often think about what advice we should give to fellow propsectors and this extract from John Gladdis is spot on. We often forget that gold is a material object and gives us value and a reason for being there but a fellow human being gives us all of his emotion, so that is true gold we should endeavour to promote and encourage.

I have met John on a number of occasions and he is a true gentleman and goes out of his way to assist others. This extract along with the advice of Stayer and others is great advice

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4517
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:17 pm

John is not a well man these days and only gets out on the odd occasion, but you can bump into him at Coiltek for a coffee and a chat as he drops in about very 3 or 4 days.
Wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

"Do not try to compete" [2012 edition] Empty RE:"DO NOT TRY TO COMPETE" [ 2012 EDITION]

Post  Hey presto Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for the post, would have never found the original. Maybe a good idea to repost every year or so to ground balance our minds for the year ahead.
Hey presto
Hey presto
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down