Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....."SNAKES ALIVE"..........

+4
mullockgrubber
glenno
trianglemal
kon61
8 posters

Go down

....."SNAKES ALIVE".......... Empty ....."SNAKES ALIVE"..........

Post  kon61 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:40 pm

G'day fellow prospectors.

Apart from the usual "Take care on the roads over the Christmas/New Year break",do watch out for snakes sunbaking in and out on the banks of creeks,gullies and flats(especially when traversing through grassy or rocky type environments).It's a bumper year for them considering the abundance of water and food life available. I've never seen them bigger and fatter.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

....."SNAKES ALIVE".......... Empty your not wrong

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:46 pm

i.d just bought a 16''nf three months ago,so i put a xl shaft on it .thank god .i was out wehla and bumped a tree stump the same time a six foot brown snake must have been coming out ,it went straight up in the air and back down the hole in came out of.being a hour from anywhere i didnt accidently drop my pick..theres a lot around here and they seem to be coming out earlier..i was pushing foxes last year along a creek it was still winter,my jack russel grabbed a six foot browny and accidently killed it,i tried to save it but wasnt quick enough.i keep an eye out for them year round specially in wet years because its winter dont mean they are snoozin

Back to top Go down

....."SNAKES ALIVE".......... Empty Re: ....."SNAKES ALIVE"..........

Post  trianglemal Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Weve got this 5ft eastern brown living somewhere up the back yard near the clothes line. My wife first spotted it in November sliding across her path on her way up the back yard. The second time was earlier this month (Dec) when she spotted it trying to drag one of our shingey back lizards back into our paddock next door. After about 30 minutes with the snake trying every trick it knew it finally gave up and retreated. So much for the solar powered snake repellers nearby. Sorry about the video quality but you get to see some wriggles and you might be able to work out the snakes mouth around the head of the lizard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKhOQheJr8&feature=context&context=G2185337AUAAAAAAAAAA

trianglemal
trianglemal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  glenno Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:30 am

Yep there out in force this year well c'mon they just had 16 years of drought. Mind you so has just about every wild animal you can think about. ( so much for the greenstabators ) remember 12 to 15 years ago the green gooks were saying how the world is *** because all the frogs were dying ? well there back now and with them comes the predatory snakes . alien

So keep your eyes open people because there well feed and climbing in numbers. santa

Last edited by kon61 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Glenno please its almost Christmas we can all do without the "Foul Language".......)
glenno
glenno
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  mullockgrubber Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:57 am

A pair of canvas chaps are a useful thing when the slitherers are about.
mullockgrubber
mullockgrubber
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

....."SNAKES ALIVE".......... Empty re... snakes alive

Post  malcolm mclean Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:31 am

you know how the misses likes to put up decoration on the front door came home the other day had been out with the dog border collie and he is allways first to the door but not this time as i approached the door he stood back went to open the stainless steel suriety door and there was a nice 4 foot brown wrapped around xmas decoration steering me in the face I suppose he though he was Santa Claus I will check on him next year 2012 ex kiwi// afro

malcolm mclean
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:16 am

I was wandering through the bush when I saw a red belly crossing the track a metre or so ahead. I stopped and watched him (her) and then became aware of something walking across my left foot. It was another red belly. They just crossed the track, one wriggling over my foot, and both disappeared into the scrub.
I have had a number of snake encounters, mainly with red bellies but a few browns, and it seems if you leave them alone they will do likewise. But I've got a pair of canvas gaiters just in case.
C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:32 am

C. Nyal de Kaye wrote:I was wandering through the bush when I saw a red belly crossing the track a metre or so ahead. I stopped and watched him (her) and then became aware of something walking across my left foot. It was another red belly. They just crossed the track, one wriggling over my foot, and both disappeared into the scrub.
I have had a number of snake encounters, mainly with red bellies but a few browns, and it seems if you leave them alone they will do likewise.
But I've got a pair of canvas gaiters just in case.

And hopefully a spare pair of jocks!! What a Face

Last edited by paulf on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:43 am

Hello,

I was given a pair canvas gaiters of which I had to remove metal clips and buckles that attached a strap that ran under the arch of your boot. Each gaiter also have a string pull at the top.

I am concerned so would they stop penetration from a snake bite?

Also are these an Army gaiter as I am no sure?

WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  mullockgrubber Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm afraid not having seen your gaiters can't tell whether they are army or not. Judging by your description they seem similar to a pair of canvas type gaiters which almost came up to my knee which I bought many, many years ago when I did a lot of bushwalking.

Snake strikes are many and varied depending upon the type of snake and circumstances but they would provide some sort of protection.

Better to put them on when out in the field than have nothing. ('Smile')

mullockgrubber
mullockgrubber
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:13 am

paulf wrote:
C. Nyal de Kaye wrote:I was wandering through the bush when I saw a red belly crossing the track a metre or so ahead. I stopped and watched him (her) and then became aware of something walking across my left foot. It was another red belly. They just crossed the track, one wriggling over my foot, and both disappeared into the scrub.
I have had a number of snake encounters, mainly with red bellies but a few browns, and it seems if you leave them alone they will do likewise.
But I've got a pair of canvas gaiters just in case.

And hopefully a spare pair of jocks!! What a Face

I left that bit out Paul!

C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 am

Sorry mate, could not resist that one. Very Happy Funny thing is that I have only seen one snake whilst detecting and that was a baby that crawled past me as I was digging a target out but there have been heap of times when I have been detecting, keeping an eye then all of a sudden my coil is near a stumpy tail on the ground. Bit of a jump for a second until I realize it is a stumpy and not a snake. Other times I have been detecting and I get that feeling of being watched and look up to see a wallaby near by just watching as it feeds.
Cheers, Paul

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 am

That has happened to me too Paul. Some wallabies and 'roos seem to take little notice of you when detecting and, as you say, they just stand there looking at you. I had three emus do that as well. One afternoon my wife called me on the two way and said "Look up" and there they were only about 10 feet away looking at me. Emu's (like cows) are definitely sticky-beaks. Cheers Paul. Norm
C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Scary story the just happened:

http://www.news.com.au/national/python-tries-to-suffocate-boy-2-in-port-douglas-backyard/story-e6frfkvr-1226232539023

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down