Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek Li-ion Battery packs

+5
mallee00
Celeste
gray.nomad
MS
shanea1
9 posters

Go down

Coiltek Li-ion Battery packs Empty Coiltek Li-ion Battery packs

Post  shanea1 Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Does anyone know anything about these Batterys packs by Coiltek

http://www.nuggethunting.com/coiltek_li-ion_battery.htm cyclops

Aus Coiltek

http://www.coiltek.com.au/accessories.htm

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-05-27

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Li-ion Battery packs Empty Coiltek Li-ion battery

Post  MS Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Iv'e been using one for about 3 months on my 3500, they work well and are heaps lighter than the brick SLA battery.
When I bought mine form coiltek they sold them with 2 batteries and in the field they last around 5 to 6 hrs each.
They run at full voltage right up to the point of becoming flat and shut off.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Li-ion Battery packs Empty Re: Coiltek Li-ion Battery packs

Post  shanea1 Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Mark , How long do they take to charge

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi Shane,

I found it takes all night (up to 12 hours) to re-charge one battery.
Other than this, I like them.

See you up them thar hills,
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 pm

I agree with frank they do take a fair amount of time to charge, In a days detecting I usually run for 5 hrs and it takes about 8 hrs to charge from that amount.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Celeste Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 pm

70% of these Li-ion battery sets were returned to Coiltek for replacement or refund. The batteries are fine. The regulator they sit in is also fine. But the cheap garbage charger that was made in China is so poorly made that it either breaks after a single attempt to charge a battery or it doesn't work at all. Two of my friends returned theirs & the dealer said that this was normal & that he was sick of having to replace them. Sounds like you got one that worked. Another thing is that there's a switch on the Coiltek battery regulator to allow the user to switch between detectors. If the switch is in the wrong position when connected, the device will destroy the detector with an overvolt. There's a warning on the instructions to watch out for this.
Celeste
Celeste
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  mallee00 Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Celeste, you cant harm your detector by switching to the wrong voltage, the 7.3v setting is for SD models while the 6.7v is for the GP series. Even if you switch to 7.3v on a GP series detector you cant do any harm as the detectors are internally regulated. I put a small splitpin in the cover that protects the voltage switch so it can only be switched to 6.7v to suit my GP. mallee00 and the mutt

mallee00
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:44 pm

mallee00's right and you can buy the batteries WITH another 12v-240v charger for about $50 on ebay. Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:37 am

Have been using these for years and have had no trouble with them.Have always kept them fully charged when not in use.Have found that with mine charging time has been roughly the same as you use them.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:00 am

Gday

I used the coiltek li ion system on my gp extreme and on my 3500 for about 3 years, I had originally bought one set and had three batteries, later a mate bought the 4000 and went with the standard battery so I bought his set off him as well, with one battery, as I like to carry spares of everything.

In all this time I never had one failure, I cycled the 4 batteries so that I always had one on charge, I wanted the other set so that I had the spare charger and regulator mainly, but never had to rely on them, as the system never gave any trouble.

The main problem is that the system is not BOOFHEAD proof, by that I mean some people are really rough with their gear as well, and could do damage to a house brick if you left it with them long enough, so its no surprise that there have been failures, a bit of care and maintainence is all thats needed.

I am sure Coiltek would like to know that there has been a 70% failure rate, what crap, it sounds to me that someone is the victim of listening to someone thats selling their own version of a battery sytem, just as someone told me that Nuggetfinder coils had a 40% failure rate, flippin greenhorns, should spend a bit more time in the sticks so that they can learn about the products instead of talking crap.

Anyway if the sytem had been crap then coiltek would have heard from me about it, but I honestly have to say that from my experience I found it to work well, was super light weight and for me totally trouble free, as far as switching to the wrong voltage, mallee is absolutely right there is no way you can harm the machine, but placing a split pin through the switch protector stops you from switching the wrong way, one of the best things was that you could always carry a spare battery with you if you were out patch hunting, try doing that with a 6v gel cell battery, if a battery goes flat or dies then you can simply put the other one in, try doing that in the field with any other self contained type battery system, you cant, if you dont have a spare while in the bush then the shows over, if you dont buy spares then just be sure to take along your standard gel cell battery and charger just in case.

If I had been able to get it to work easily with the 4500 then I would have stuck with the system, the new minelab battery even though I felt it could be a bit smaller, is really good and has the inbuilt booster etc, so it was just easier to buy a back up spare.

Truthfully if I had to go back to an earlier minelab machine, the first thing I would get is another coiltek li ion battery system as I have a lot of confidence in them, and have no reason not to.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Yep I've been using one of these units for over 2 years now with no problems whatsoever.I detect every week sometimes 2 or 3 times a week and each time I come home they go on charge and charge up with no troubles.I would recommend these units to anyone based on my use of them.

My bad back loves them too Very Happy

Regards
Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  russcoit Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Gday all I use this system with my gp3000 and its great I always carry a spare next to unit in my battery pouch one thing to watch out for is dont turn your detector on and off as per original as it will trip your battery and then you need to reset it on a charger.Just remember to leave your detector switch in the on position and turn it on and off via your coiltek regulator(can catch you out when you first use it) I reckon there great no battery moaning and groaning just prior to being flat they go full stength and then flat no muckin around,I would recomend them just on weight ,be sure to buy a decent mAh they last longer,I was told if its a 7800mAh it should last about seven hours (not quite mine lasts a good 5 and a half).Tony Mills sells 7800mAh for about $60 something well worth it.Cheers Dave
russcoit
russcoit
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Do you people mount the CoilTek battery on the detector housing, arm rest, or on your belt? Do you mount the Detacc Sound Amplifier on the housing also?

Sounds like you prefer this one to Reeds Lucky Lark?

Also a third type of Li Ion system here:
http://www.minersden.com.au/default.asp?pageid=PRODUCTS&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=822&site=15

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Stayyer you are spot on I have seen many make a meal of the simple proccess of the down then slide loading of the battery
Dave about 50 percent of the early batteries tripped if you didnt turn your complete system on and off by the battery on/off switch and 50 percent didnt.I dont know if this was remidied in latter batteries.
Beer have tried mounting battery on machine but the balance didnt feel so just clip it to belt.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down