Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hearing Difficulty with 4500

5 posters

Go down

Hearing Difficulty with 4500 Empty Hearing Difficulty with 4500

Post  fredjrob Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Folks,

Just started detecting earlier this year and have been out three times with just a couple of small specimens found but it has been rewarding in other ways.

I have a significant hearing problem and was wondering if anyone with a similar problem might be able to offer up some advice with settings. For starters, I have to turn the threshold up to its fullest extent to hear any sort of a hum and from what I read that causes other setting problems.

I have hearing aids but would prefer to not use them if I can find away to compensate with settings or some other means. (Anyone who has to wear a hearing aid will understand the relief of not wearing them).

Given that many of the propsectors I have run into are retired, I was hoping there would be some sort of a modification that could be made, similar, I suppose to mobile phones that vibrate or a light indicating a signal, or a means of boosting the signal without causing other issues.

I have a 4500.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Fred

fredjrob
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-11-21

Back to top Go down

Hearing Difficulty with 4500 Empty Re: Hearing Difficulty with 4500

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi Fred, I do have good hearing and I have not thought about this too much and I may not be any help here but,

While you are waiting for someone to give you an answer that will help you, have a read through the discussion via the link below......

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t568-hearing-inaudible-nuggets-higher-frequencies

Are you using headphones or an external speaker?

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  fredjrob Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Goldstalker,

Thanks for the reply and I have visited and printed out the information contained in the site.

I am using headphones but also have an external speaker but hitherto, I have not used it.

No name to your email but thanks a lot, it's appreciated.

Regards,

Fred

fredjrob
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:58 am

G'day Fred

What your gonna need is an inline battery operated booster that runs on a 9v battery not the detectors battery,
such as the B&Z type booster, there are quiet a few on the market but make sure it has a bypass switch, and a
volume on/off switches..
Hearing Difficulty with 4500 Pics%5Csmall_475

You cant use an inline booster that runs on the 4500/5000 battery because it freaks out having 2 inline boosters
(one in GPX batttery, plus another external inline booster) connected at the same time....

Prices are usualy around $160.00 for these boosters and can be used on ANY detector as they plug directly
into the earphone socket on all detectors that have one...

Enough Volume with that set-up to knock Blowflies out cold Very Happy
and you'l be able to run your threshold at 1pm instead of flat out....

Cheers
Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 am

G'day Fred

I have helped several people with hearing aids setup there detectors (GPX) and find gold.

Using a B&Z booster as beepinpete has said is part of it, also use a twin external speaker system is a big help. and the next part is where the tone is set on the machine to suit the range you can still hear best at.

When you have got your self the booster and speakers setup you need to test over a target (piece of gold or lead) and keep adjusting the tone a bit at a time until you get to a spot that suit your hearing without your hearing aids. There are usually still some range of hearing that you will be able to hear quite well without your hearing aids.

This is basicly the methods that I used with helping a few people with hearing trouble.

Here is a link where you can get the B&Z and twin speaker setup,
http://nuggetsfromdownunder.com.au/main.asp?Category=22

hope some of this helps you as well.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 am

Hi,

Dave's method is exactly what I did to optimize my 5000 with my hearing.
I use a B&Z Booster as Pete suggests and have found it to be unbeatable.
Also use twin speaker's or, if it is too windy or I don't what to distract a hunting partner,
I use headphones with individual volume controls for each ear.

It can be done, best of luck with it.

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Hearing Difficulty with 4500 Empty Hi from Neale in Biloela Queensland

Post  shelby23 Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:04 am

Hi
If you were deaf you could have a fellow prospector with you and he could tell you when there was a gold indication from your GPX detector.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  fredjrob Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:37 pm

All,

Thank you very much for all the handy information.

Dave, I have looked up the site and will place an order in due course for the A&Z booster with the dual speaker system.

If anyone else has any ideas, including settings, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about them.

Althought the lack of gold thus far is a little disheartening, other aspects has led to three very enjoyable trips and I'm keen to continue.

Regards,

Fred

fredjrob
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:57 pm

G'day Fred

Seeing as Jonathan Porter manufactures the B&Z booster were talking about, here are some of his settings for use with the gPX4500 and a Mono coil. These settings will work well with the Minelab 11" Commander mono coil.

"Motion mode SLOW
Gain 8 (Gain can be increased if conditions allow up to 12)
Stabilizer 8
Timings ENHANCE
Signal 19
GB FIXED
Coil RX DD or MONO
Search Mode GENERAL (I recommend General because the FP's best represent the previous GP range for benchmark purposes)
Target Volume FP for Headphone use, less for speaker
Volume Limit 12 for inbuilt booster with correctly wired speaker or 8 with a B&Z booster or equivalent
Threshold 1 to 2 O'clock
Back light OFF (helps with signal response crispness)"

hope this is of further help.
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Hearing Difficulty with 4500 Empty Re: Hearing difficulty with 4500

Post  sandy2010 Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Fred,
I remember Alan talking about this when we were in camp ( but I'm damned if I can remember what he said could be done, other than it was very simple and cheap).
He may be home in a week or so.......I will try to make contact and let you know.
T.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  fredjrob Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:47 am

Sandy,

I've been away on holidays and only just returned - hence the late reply to your response.

I have bought a booster and two external speakers but yet to set it up.

Regards,

Fred

fredjrob
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down