Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher)

+2
koeh
TheGoldenChild
6 posters

Go down

Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher) Empty Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher)

Post  TheGoldenChild Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Thought i'll post this vid from earlier this year. Took the son out for his first lesson in gold prospecting, took him 5 seconds to dig out a 4 grammer from about 2-3 inches down then a whopping 15 minutes to scoop it up from the dirt pile. Geez it was fustrating, he was pushing the nug around in the dirt with the scoop. What a relief it was when he actually got it in the hand. He dug out another 2 grammer minutes later but just when I thought the Gold bug might have bitten him he decided he had done his days work and went back to the car for a nap. It's hard keeping these kids motivated these days.
Anyways had to edit this vid a fair bit, I didn't want to put you guys thru 15 minutes of pain waiting for him to scoop it up.
Also found out GPX's with large coils don't get along with Standard Camcorders, had to edit again so as not to give you guys an ear ache.
Enjoy.

TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher) Empty Re: Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher)

Post  koeh Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 pm

great vid,

now that is what you call patience.

congrats on the find.

cheers

koeh
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher) Empty Re: Maryborough Gold - Teaching son how to retrieve a target (obviously I'm not a good teacher)

Post  xenon Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Great piece,
If I was you I would invest in one of the $3 scoops from bunnings instead of that plastic spoon. A bigger scoop makes finding the target so much easier (and quicker). Liked the video TGC.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 am

Nice Vid!
Great to see the young ones get into it!

Question,
Is there to much EMI to hold the coil @ 90° and pinpoint with the edge?
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 am

Great video pal. Thanks for editting it down for us, but even the extra 15 minutes would've been ok - something about digging up nuggets, doesn't matter how long it takes, I can watch them all day.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks guys

xenon the apprentice always gets the spoon Razz , seriously there wasn't enough dirt to even fill the spoon let alone the proper scoop.
detectoraid there was heaps of EMI coming from the HandyCam in my other hand scratch , couldn't lift the coil up without making the detector squeal its head off. Since updated to the fixed Stem Camera, just have to remember to switch it on when I'm digging Smile .
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:08 am

TheGoldenChild wrote:but just when I thought the Gold bug might have bitten him he decided he had done his days work and went back to the car for a nap. It's hard keeping these kids motivated these days.

20 yrs ago i a nephew of mine did the same thing. i took him to a spot in NSW where we camped for a couple of days , he detected for all of 20 minutes , got a 2 grammer , and decided he had done enough.
never detected again.
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 pm

nice find mate well done, its a very nice nugget.

Last edited by Hasfoundthagold on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetninja69 Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Cool vid..thanks,
Need a bigger scoop I thinks.. rabbit
nuggetninja69
nuggetninja69
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Great vid Manny , Hope there will be a few more to add to that in the coming times ...
Great little spot for 4 grammers being unearthed - another one plucked out recently aye bro !!
Hold back the " X marks the spot " - Twisted Evil Very Happy silent Cheers
gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:12 pm

Great vid Manny , Hope there will be a few more to add to that in the coming times ...

as long as I remember to switch the bloody camera on Smile

Great little spot for 4 grammers being unearthed - another one plucked out recently aye bro !!

don't know what your talking about Suspect
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Mums the word silent silent silent silent hehehe

Back to top Go down