Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ISUZU D-MAX

+2
bunter9
shebabrock
6 posters

Go down

ISUZU D-MAX Empty ISUZU D-MAX

Post  shebabrock Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:27 am

Hi there im thinking of purchasing my very first ever 4x4(brand new)and was looking at the new Toyota hiluxs.I was wanting to get the top of the range with a canopy/bullbar fitted,but then saw it was going to cost around $60,thou on road.I then went and compared the Holden colorado and Isuzu D-max(the pair are virtually identicle).After looking at the top of the range for each vehicle,each had only a few minor things different to each other(more cosmetic more than anything).And both vehicles didnt have as much bling as the new Toyota hilux(nav-sat ect.).But both the holden/isuzu have good driveaway deals at the moment on there 2011 models as each has a new model out in 2012.After looking at the two fitted out with the extras i was wanting it worked out to be $14-15 thou cheaper than the toyota.Out of the two im leaning towards the isuzu(a little bit better of a deal,and i prefer the look of it over the colorado)so after all this i was wondering what if any feedback fellow forum members have on the isuzu d-max.Im not looking at doing any hardcore 4x4,but just want the capability of 4x4 if needed,i will also be towing a off road camper around with it.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,cheers.

shebabrock
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

ISUZU D-MAX Empty Re: ISUZU D-MAX

Post  Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:27 am

Join this forum and all your questions will be answered

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/index.php

Don't forget to have a look at the VW Amarok

http://www.caradvice.com.au/volkswagen/amarok/?gclid=CIaI8uWojKwCFQ-DpAod_wlsmQ

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  shebabrock Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Goldnomad wrote:Join this forum and all your questions will be answered

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/index.php

http://www.caradvice.com.au/volkswagen/amarok/?gclid=CIaI8uWojKwCFQ-DpAod_wlsmQ

Robert
Cheers,thanks for the reply "Goldnomad"i will join the forum site.I was thinking of taking a look at the Amarok,but i was chasing an auto,and i dont think the Amarok has a auto in its range.(I may be wrong though).

shebabrock
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

ISUZU D-MAX Empty ISUZU DMAX

Post  bunter9 Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi shebabrock,
My wife and I have a 2009 D Max crew cab 3lt. auto.
We have travelled 50,000 kms. including 28,000 kms. towing a 2,300kg. van, would highly recommend this vehicle,we love it.
Regards --Bunter9

Last edited by bunter9 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

bunter9
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

ISUZU D-MAX Empty Re: Isuzu Max/Other late model 4 x 4's

Post  Guest Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 pm

In similar position, currently looking at upgrading my prospecting vehicle (after years of living out on the back of a Hilux Ute - usually sleeping under a canvas canopy at night on camping/prospecting trips). I finally decided to look at new model 4x4’s (eg Hilux, Ford etc). Previously I would have only considered buying Toyota’s, however I admit I was a little disappointed with the features of the new model Hilux line up (such as the Hilux SR5 space cab being fitted with 15 inch wheels). I was more impressed by the new Ford Ranger XLT (with diff lock/towbar etc as standard features). Perhaps you could also consider the new Ford Ranger. I have however; been informed that Ford/Toyota/Holden/Isuzu etc all manufacture their popular four wheel drives in Thailand?? (now subjected to major/extensive flooding). The flooding has resulted in the closure of all their respective factories (ie very little current vehicle production for most of the popular 4 x 4 makes/models - including the Ford Ranger??). Perhaps other forum members could advise. Will also look at the Isuzu etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:49 pm

G'day shebabrock,

I bought a new space-cab Dmax in Feb. this year and am very happy with it, having had no problems at all in the first 19k kms. The engine became noticably stronger at about 12k kms. It has plenty of grunt, and I believe the Dmaxes are built more for longevity rather than outright performance, as they use the same engine as the 2 tonne Dmax "truck".
Let's face it, 360nm from 3 litres is nothing startling these days, but even loaded it has plenty of go.

Unladen it uses about 8.5 l/100k, and with a 750kg slide-on camper the fuel usage is averaging about 11 l/100k.

Having previously had a coil sprung Disco I find the suspension a bit harsh, but I believe the cab chassis models have a firmer set-up that the twin cab models.

I also bought it for off-road touring rather than adventure in the Vic high country, and reckon that it's an excellent vehicle for that use.

I also looked at the Hilux, but couldn't justify the price difference.

I also have a mate with a 2009 Dmax, also with a slide-on camper, and he hasn't had any troubles with his in about 30k kms.

I would happily buy another.

ISUZU D-MAX P1010329-1

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 am

Happy with the camper Phil?

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Goldnomad wrote:
Robert

Have a look at it, then go look at a decent vehicle.
I test drove that p.o.s.
Never in my life have I been so disappointed in a car, underpowered (twin turbo no less!)
Handled like a wheelbarrow full of walruses, garbage build quality etc.
No idea where they are built.(not Europe I'll bet) safe to say, in a third world country.
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:51 am

Musso, how much are the Amaroks?

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 am

Alan WA wrote:Happy with the camper Phil?
Alan

Extremely happy with it, Alan.

Build quality is excellent, it's comfortable, surprisingly spacious, airy, bright, and has too much storage area.
It doesn't cut back the fuel economy much, erects in literally 30 seconds, folds up in 45.
One of the good points is the fact you can see back through it when driving, although one of the rear treads on the fold-down steps blocks a bit of the view (since remedied with a periscope).

The manufacturer was "adventurous" with the dimensions, though; quoted weight was 460 kgs against 750 actual, quoted balance point was 600-700mm back from the front face (it is the longer model) where the actual balance point is exactly 1000mm, which required a $6500 chassis extension to get rid of the chassis flex Shocked Crying or Very sad Shocked

Due to the swarf from a drilled hole not being removed from the water tank the water pump was trying to pump plastic rather than water, so the pump was replaced under warranty, and after the replacement suffered the same fate a few days later I fixed it myself (if you want to do something properly, ......)

Overall, very happy with the Active Camper.

Am I right in remembering you have one ?

Phil

Last edited by lkyphl on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Brain fade)

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Phil.
Yes, I got the ute model on a duel cab Triton. Agree with all you say but
didnt have your problems. I did end up putting
air bags on but could have got away with out them.

Interesting what you say about fuel consumption.
A plus for the D-Max.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Goldnomad wrote:Musso, how much are the Amaroks?

Robert

Depends on the bells and whistles Robert, I was looking at the Highline originally, from memory with the options I had lines up, it was around 58k.
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 am

Whoa!!! Too much. Thanks Musso. After all it's just a VW Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  shebabrock Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:21 pm

bunter9 wrote:Hi shebabrock,
My wife and I have a 2009 D Max crew cab 3lt. auto.
We have travelled 50,000 kms. including 28,000 kms. towing a 2,300kg. van, would highly recommend this vehicle,we love it.
Regards --Bunter9
Hi "bunter9",just wanted to thankyou for your feedback,and im glad you are happy with your D-Max.After a few sleepless nights and a fair bit of research/talking to different people i decided to go the D-Max myself cheers

shebabrock
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  shebabrock Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:28 pm

lkyphl wrote:G'day shebabrock,

I bought a new space-cab Dmax in Feb. this year and am very happy with it, having had no problems at all in the first 19k kms. The engine became noticably stronger at about 12k kms. It has plenty of grunt, and I believe the Dmaxes are built more for longevity rather than outright performance, as they use the same engine as the 2 tonne Dmax "truck".
Let's face it, 360nm from 3 litres is nothing startling these days, but even loaded it has plenty of go.

Unladen it uses about 8.5 l/100k, and with a 750kg slide-on camper the fuel usage is averaging about 11 l/100k.

Having previously had a coil sprung Disco I find the suspension a bit harsh, but I believe the cab chassis models have a firmer set-up that the twin cab models.

I also bought it for off-road touring rather than adventure in the Vic high country, and reckon that it's an excellent vehicle for that use.
I also looked at the Hilux, but couldn't justify the price difference.

I also have a mate with a 2009 Dmax, also with a slide-on camper, and he hasn't had any troubles with his in about 30k kms.

I would happily buy another.

ISUZU D-MAX P1010329-1

Phil
Hi "Ikyphl"just wanted to thankyou for your comments also and im glad both you and your mate are happy with your D-maxs.And i decided myself to go the D-max way,cheers.

shebabrock
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  the escape club Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:35 pm

I bought one new in September after selling my 100 series. I'm really liking it, the only thing I'm not liking is the trouble I'm having getting a canopy for it. From the dealership I got the steel bar, towbar, sidesteps, weather shields and tub liner as far as the canopy goes they have been pathetic. I've now decided to get one through Opposite Lock in Kal, the problem now is I have to wait until at least mid Feb for the one I want. The lady suggested that the floods in Thailand could be causing havoc with the manufacture of them.

I'm hoping that when it turns up and I've got it fitted that the dealership calls to say that the other one has arrived Twisted Evil

the escape club
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  shebabrock Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 am

the escape club wrote:I bought one new in September after selling my 100 series. I'm really liking it, the only thing I'm not liking is the trouble I'm having getting a canopy for it. From the dealership I got the steel bar, towbar, sidesteps, weather shields and tub liner as far as the canopy goes they have been pathetic. I've now decided to get one through Opposite Lock in Kal, the problem now is I have to wait until at least mid Feb for the one I want. The lady suggested that the floods in Thailand could be causing havoc with the manufacture of them.

I'm hoping that when it turns up and I've got it fitted that the dealership calls to say that the other one has arrived Twisted Evil
I got the canopy as well/fitted by the local dealership,without any problems.The dealer told me that they are actually just ARB:canopys with the d max decal on them.He also did mention that there was a back log of orders due to the floods in Thailand,on many items.

shebabrock
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxEffort Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:06 pm

musso wrote:
Goldnomad wrote:
Robert

Have a look at it, then go look at a decent vehicle.
I test drove that p.o.s.
Never in my life have I been so disappointed in a car, underpowered (twin turbo no less!)
Handled like a wheelbarrow full of walruses, garbage build quality etc.
No idea where they are built.(not Europe I'll bet) safe to say, in a third world country.

I think they are assembled in Argentina.

MaxEffort

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum