Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Placer Gold

3 posters

Go down

Placer Gold Empty Placer Gold

Post  All-AU Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:19 am

In preparing my Trip to Oz I have done some very valuable reading on this forum, I think it’s the best out there, and found extensive information to build up on, and yes, reading the forum I also found Aussi’s have a very pristine humor. Very Happy
However, during my research I came across some interesting web sites I want to contribute to all readers.

It’s about panning and dredging. A really good read with lots of information’s for those who want to get in to it.

Geology of placer gold

More links, same Page

Cheers

All -AU
All-AU
All-AU
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Placer Gold Empty Re: Placer Gold

Post  maka Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:29 am

I love dredging vids, Pity its illegal here. It would be great to do in 40 degree days...
I wish people could lobby somehow, to get the law changed to maybe maximum 2 inch dredge with X amount of suction etc, Have some strict regs on them...
It would open a complete new avenue for the hobby and a new industry in production....
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  All-AU Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:56 pm

I see, I wasn't aware of it but than I have looked more into the regulations for dry land detecting than river panning.
Well I guess if the industry would get its way for heavy dredging they soon would turn every river upside down with all the chemical mess comes with it on industrial standards.
The economist would be for it, the ecologists would be against it, might worth to make a separated thread to discuss the pro, cons and implication of it.
For hobbyist I believe it would be fair and nice to dive in the waters during the heat period.

Cheers
All-AU

All-AU
All-AU
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Dont get me wrong i think dredging in the wrong circumstances is wrong, especially on a large scale..
But if it was regulated, with proper dredges that caught silt etc. On private property or you could lease a section or a dam or stream providing your sediment was fully under control, and not causing any damage to the environment.
If a farmers dam was silted up and it was legal to dredge it, instead of digging it back out with an excavator, i would do the service for free..
I.e The dredge feeds a highbanker with proper silt retension measures in place, and no silt enters the waterway, it would be a blessing to anyone who loves swimming, sluicing or panning...
The silt is spread out evenly and seeded stopping any erosion near the dam/ creek.
Regs on flora protection, etc could and should come into the equation..
If done on a small scale and done properly it doesnt have to be environmental vandalism.
It could be done with 12 volt pumps etc.
I guess people stuffed it years ago being reckless and greedy..
What i do like is no one will touch the dredging issue, or voice their opinion as to how to do it cleanly, safely, environmentally friendly etc.
Looks like parts of the USA is losing its fight to dredge, but they still carry hand guns???
C'Mon work out how to do it and keep the greenies happy, and in doing so keep the fossickers happy.
P.S i am a member of Green peace, and the Wilderness society and have been for over 20 years. And want nature for my children and yours to enjoy in the future, but if there was a way to get dredging happening here under strict regs i would jump at the chance to design and build a dredge/ sluice combo that traps every particle and stops water pollution.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:55 am

With you 110% on this one Maka,
I couldn’t think of anything better to do on a hot Ozy day than sit in a creek somewhere cleaning out crevices and finding my own little bit of yellow.
And lets face it the amount of rock/mud/wood that ripped down the Macquarie last year would take every person in NSW flogging a 4inch dredge for a thousand years to do what mother nature did in one week.
Just like guns in Oz, if you licence it, control it, monitor it and if the government think they can make a dollar off it Suspect you’d be amazed what could change on the subject!
Just my 2c,
Cheers Hoff
Smile
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-04-26

http://www.thebeardedprospectors.com

Back to top Go down