Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinpointers & battery saving

3 posters

Go down

Pinpointers & battery saving Empty Pinpointers & battery saving

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 am

Hi

Do you think a stud finder from bunnings will be Ok to use for a pinpointer if I dont have the time to wait for an ebay delivery?

When digging holes, is it a good idea to turn the detector off to save battery power, or does turning it back on burn more energy starting it up than leaving it on?

I ask the battery question as when I was sold the unit, I was told it had a 3 month warranty, but not on the battery, this makes me think they either become worn out quickly or this one has issues?

Rob

Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Pinpointers & battery saving Empty Re: Pinpointers & battery saving

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 am

G'day Rob B.

If your machine was supplied with a smaller coil,then use it till your true pinpointer arrives. Stud finders just don't cut it on the smaller targets especially on a mineralized battlefield.
No point in switching your machine on and off every time you stop to dig a target,in order to save battery life.This you'll find not only annoying but detrimental to the machine over time. If your battery is a for instance 10amp/hr gell cell and not giving you at least 6hrs constant use,time to buy a new one.Now unless you've got the dome type,Jay Car Electronics sells the Diamec 6v12 amp/hr which will give you a comfortable 10+hrs running time for $30 bucks.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks, I'll wait for a proper pointer.

the battery is a gel of some sort, but not sure of the amp.. I have been out for 6hrs at a time without getting a low battery signal so I suppose its in reasonable condition. I was more concerned about camping & doing 2 days detecting. There is a car charger, but Im a bit uneasy about leaving the accessories switched on overnight in the bush. But for $30 or so, a back up battery seems a reasonable thing to have.

My 1st gold is only 256 nails, 407 bullets, 200 groung signals & 864 holes away!

Thanks again
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:33 pm

I use an X-Terra 70 with a 6" coil for a stud finder but I wouldn't ever bother using a studfinder as a pinpointer. For pinpointing with a gold detector (GPX-4000, GPX-4500 & GPX-5000) we use a Coiltek pinpointer probe. For shallow areas or creek beds, I might use a Garrett probe for convenience although it only has a very shallow depth ability of around an inch +/-

Finding gold is a tedious enough process as it is. Cutting corners will simply result in wasted time. I would suggest that you learn to pinpoint with your coil. Another alternative is to buy a probe that is specifically designed for nugget hunting rather than one for coin hunting or stud finding. There's really only one to choose and it works with SD series detectors (not sure which model yours is)... http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/pinpointer.html They come in two sizes but I'd recommend the 8" version. Depth is quite a few inches. If you have any questions, call Coiltek and ask them. These probes are 'dangled' over the target rather than held like a wand.

The main reason I use a probe is to quickly identify a target and move on to the next one. Sometimes I use them because it's hard to pinpoint a target easily when using a large coil. Generally speaking, they are a very useful tool but they are not essential. Learning to pinpoint with your coil is an essential skill that you will need to master.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Nero

Locating the area of a target with the edge of the coil is something Ive been playing with. I think whats throwing me off line is Im still digging holes where the signal vanishes, so when I try pinpoint it, it doesnt make sense as its everywhere.

I havent dug anything up yet that has been deeper than 2 inches or so, so when Ive tried pinpointing deeper targets with the coil edge I think its been minerals & everywhere.

I'm slowly learning, & I dont mind digging... Every hole = Gold until I find the nail.

I wonder if anyone will ever invent a detector in the soles of boots, so all you need to do is walk around the bush! I think its agreat idea.

Rob
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:20 pm

G'day Rob

When pinpointing with the edge of the coil, tilt the coil at about 45deg and just use the edge closest to the ground, (mono coil) that way your not getting the signal from everywhere around the coil, just the edge that is closest to your target.

If your getting signal/noise form the whole lot of dirt/heap you have dug out, then try ground balancing near or on the heap and see if it is still there, this works with the later machines not to sure how easy it is to do this with the earlier SD type machines.

Plenty of practice and you will soon get to know.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Thank davs

I'll toy with 45 deg tomorrow

Rob
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:23 pm

My pore old Garrett Pro Pinpointer just packed up a few days ago. I think the switch is broken, but dropping it down a high imbankment would not have helped. Shocked Sad I'll have to try and get it fixed, as it is a great little helper.

wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:12 pm

hi Wombat

Do you detect local or head out to other areas?

Rob
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Rob
Both mate. I just moved up to Maryborough and getting to know likely spots. Went out to Alma today just for a drive and a look. What I do for a while is get onto Google Maps and check out an area and then drive out and have a closer look, and also relate it all to Tully maps of the area.

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Wombat wrote: Hi Rob
Both mate. I just moved up to Maryborough and getting to know likely spots. Went out to Alma today just for a drive and a look. What I do for a while is get onto Google Maps and check out an area and then drive out and have a closer look, and also relate it all to Tully maps of the area.

Wombat
G:day Wombat. What you are doing is spot on, as that is exactly what I used to do and still do. keep doing your homework and ground work and it pays off in the end. I have found some really nice nuggets in the maryborough area.
Cheers m8 and best of luck. Steve.

Back to top Go down