Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

testing the sluice

2 posters

Go down

testing the sluice Empty testing the sluice

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:31 pm

i tryed out the sluice in the back yard with some dirt that i had got from a mates farm. eveything was running sweet until i seen a bit off a gap between the sluice and the ribbed matting. i had a look and they hadn't cut it straight. so i might have to go back to the carpet. i did find a few nice little bits tho.

cheers
stoppsy

Last edited by stoppsy on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

testing the sluice Empty Re: testing the sluice

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 pm

good stuff stoppsy Very Happy
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:59 pm

thanks mate going to be taking it out tomorrow for it's first big run. dad's going to be running it so i'll be detecting. should be a great day out.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

testing the sluice Empty RE: testing the sluice

Post  flyspecks Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:22 pm

hi stoppsy .... that set up looks bloody great.... hope all goes well on the big run Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy i noticed your sons yellow and orange earth moving equipment....that might come in handy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing cheers Smile
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:29 pm

lol! the young fella is comming out i should get him to chop down the diggings with them and move some dirt around lol!
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Stoppsy I have PM you
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Stoppsy mate well done i do like the setup you have. All you need to do now is get it out in the field. That unit will not disappoint you have a ball with it mate. it may take a bit to work out all the little odds and ends but that is nothing really. cheers and well done.
James 101

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Looks good Stoppsy. That pump has plenty of power. A few questions mate, because I have no idea about wet setups. I know you are new to this stuff, but just roughly, How often do you turn it off and check for gold? Do you slowly put a shovel full in the top? Do you have a concentrates bucket nearby, and how do you get any gold from the sluice into the bucket? Basically mate, How does it work?? scratch scratch Sorry about all the questions mate,(from West Aus) cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

piston broke wrote:Looks good Stoppsy. That pump has plenty of power. A few questions mate, because I have no idea about wet setups. I know you are new to this stuff, but just roughly, How often do you turn it off and check for gold? Do you slowly put a shovel full in the top? Do you have a concentrates bucket nearby, and how do you get any gold from the sluice into the bucket? Basically mate, How does it work?? Smile Smile ? ps sorry for all the questions buddy but I haven't seen or used one. cheers Pete. (from WA)
thanks guys should be good fun... PB i have just kept it running untill there was no rocks and loose dirt had stopped running down it. you can go slowly i dumpped a good pile off dirt on it to see how it would go and it just slowly pushed it all down. i have a bucket close by for when i have finished as you take out the grate and then your matting. you put the matting into the bucket and wash it down so the dirt and gold is on the matting is put into the bucket. after you have done that you pan off the dirt to get to the gold... pretty easy but will just take a little time to work out what hight i have to have it sitting at...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:20 pm

hey wombat PM hasn't come in mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Ok mate I stuffed up coming soon Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm

lol! no probs mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Stoppsy. I think your best bet for set up is to use clean water so you can see what's going on!
Not sure where i heard this term, may have been here! Shovel in dirt etc, If it takes 20 seconds for your riffles to clear then the angle is not enough, If your riffles clear in 10 seconds the angle is too steep! I recon that's pretty good info because it makes you notice changes that may occur due to digging changes in soil/rocks/gold??
Looks like a nice set up mate and good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 pm

thanks for that someday, the water was clean for a start then i just kept running the same water through it so it wasn't wasting any...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 pm

That water flow is too fast and will toss out fine gold.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm

The ten & 20 seconds, or the video!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm

The video

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 pm

It's sitting on way to big an angle in the video! Pretty sure once it set at the right angle it will be a different story.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:07 pm

i'll work it all out tomorrow when i'm out giving it a good run. this was realy the 1st time i have used it. just going to take the time to work out how low or how high to run it. it just like leaning how to detect in away again
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 pm

From zero to 2 inch slope per foot on the bottom sluice! I can't tell how high the riffles are, there's a lot of water movement so I can only imagine there around one inch?
I'd suggest laying some mesh on the hopper to classify smaller so water isn't an issue!

Back to top Go down