Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilbara newbie

3 posters

Go down

Pilbara newbie Empty Pilbara newbie

Post  pilbarachad Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Gday everyone,

Im new to the forum and to gold detecting, I live in Hedland and hope to get out and see as much of the Pilbara as i can over the next few years and hopefully find some gold aswell. Ive just recieved a second hand GP extreme so real keen to get out amongst it and have a crack. It would be real great to hear some hints/tips/stories from any one else up in the Pilbara. Im real green and have to admit i dont know a real heap, been trying to find as much info online as possible about detecting in the Pilbara but i gotta say there aint a whole heap on the net.

Anyway looking forward to learning alot from every one on the forum and hopefully ill be able to post some of my success stories in the future aswell!

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Pilbara newbie Empty Re: Pilbara newbie

Post  the speciman Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 pm

GDAY PILBARACHAD

welcome to the forum if i was you i would try and get a copy of DDH'S GOLD AND GHOSTS VOL 1 and have a read of that!!!

then do a bit of reserch of the areas that are accessible to you and your car (car and reliability and safety are parramount in the pilbara)

same as fishin offshore tell people where your goin and what time your comin back!!!!!!

then get on google have a look at spots that david has found gold in the pilbara and go a little bit outside the square?

ie EGINA,MT SATIRIST,YANDEYARRA,TOM PRICE,BALLA BALLA,, PEWAH,GOLDEN VALLEY,LOUDENS PATCH,MALINA STATION (ring first) ABYDOS STATION ETC ETC but there is defantly no gold around karratha baloney has found it all !!!!!!!!!! ha ha

good scratchin

cheers the speciman

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Specimen,

Thers quite a few spots in your list of places that havent turned up in my research so cheers for that. As for Gold and Ghosts ive recently found out the local library here has a copy so im going to go check that out as soon as i get a chance.

Im actually off to Marble Bar with the family for the day, so hopefully i can bag myself my first nugget!

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  flying kiwi Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:34 pm

good luck mate

i seem to be able to find enough around here to keep me out of the pub on the weekend

go hard before it starts to get too hot!

if you down load this google earth file on WA it will give you a few spots to try near you

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2273-historical-gold-mines-in-google-earth
flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks flying kiwi thats an awesome tool and will definately come in handy. Peawah, mallina and a couple others areas are pretty close to me so i may go check them out soon. Do i need to obtain permission from anyone before checking them out?

On a side note i spent a few hours at the 4 mile diggings just out of Marble Bar today- no gold found but had a ball and definately got to know my GP extreme a bit better, definately want to head back that way in the not too distant future.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Pilbara newbie Empty re:Pilbara newbie

Post  Guest Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:48 am

If you r goin on station country - phone them and tell em you will be scratchin on there-- where ever.
Dont light a fire -- The cops are investigation an incident down on Mallina Station as we speak. Go buy a few books--go to the local library they have a wealth of knowledge---Arm yourself with info -a small laptop--gps and both Geo maps and Topo maps and you will be on the money...THats what most of us have done and when confronted by a new bloke of the block thats the first thing I ask them---have you read anything--why not?
Most seasoned prospectors are loathed to help you unless you show you have done something to make the initial start.

If you go bush in your vehicle you go prepaired--Absolutely no difference---Good luck

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Gday Oneday and thanks for the reply.

Ive been reading everything i can get my hands on in regards to prospecting up here, ive spent hours and hours online reading old newspaper articles, forum posts, looking on google maps etc also bought a book online that im still waiting to get. Ive tasked the missus with photocopying some pages out of the local libraries copy of gold and ghosts aswell.

Ive been having some dramas getting onto tengraph aswell- cant get it working for some reason? I was a bit concerned that if around peawah, malina i might be on someone elses tenement- i take it thats not the case?

Also- yeah i got myself a reliable 4wd-still need to get a GPS though.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  flying kiwi Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:29 pm

cant realy add much to what oneday has said, has realy hit the nail on the head,

except you "still gotta walk over it" and "gold is where you find it" and "low and slow" and and and "they never get it all" i think that all the sayings Very Happy Very Happy

might be pokeing around over that way in the next few weeks PM me if you want to hook up
flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down