Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Three Amigos return

+6
Frog
kon61
au79
TheH0ward
TheGoldenChild
piston broke
10 posters

Go down

The Three Amigos return Empty The Three Amigos return

Post  piston broke Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 am

Well we had a short but successful trip away. It was decided this time to camp on the gold, which was excellent until the rain set in and we made a real hasty retreat to avoid sinking in the mud which was developing rather quickly.
We arrived at 5.30 pm and quickly started setting up camp whilst sipping on a Jacks and coke. Ok so beds ready , fire lit , wood collected, time to relax for the night. No way!! I'm off to do a Stoppsy night swing yippee. I quickly geared up the 5000 with an 18inch mono and walked a whole 30 metres to the patch.
Now before I left Perth I messaged JP in the hope of some deep settings to maybe find another big one.He kindly responded with some amazing settings, but warned me the machine would be noisy.
Noisy? it was chaos through the headphones, but I trusted his judgement and some 5 minutes later I scratched an "x" on the ground because amongst the constant chatter something possibly sounded different.
The boys wandered down and decided they would scrape 100mm off the"x". A swing over the ground revealed nothing worthwhile but they insisted on removing another 100. A reswing had me suddenly interested and sharing the headphones around to confirm the now audible signal.
So there we were in the dark lying on our guts to dig to our new friend some 600mm below using our trusty Chinese pick (just for you Flying Kiwi) .
A big thanks to you JP as we had been over that spot a hundred times. It was only 2 metres from where we found "WA Gold Happy Days." cheers Pete
The Three Amigos return Rsz_pr10The Three Amigos return Rsz_pr11The Three Amigos return Rsz_pr12

Last edited by piston broke on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

The Three Amigos return Empty Re: The Three Amigos return

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 am

bloody awesome mate, what did you think off the night run? i love doing the nights but even better in the summer.... that's one nice big chunk....
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 am

I loved it mate. Before I went I was telling the boys about your night runs and how I wanted to do one. It's so quiet by yourself and I reckon I can concentrate better. It was a bright moon that night too. cheers Pete

Last edited by piston broke on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:27 am

it's awesome as it's that qiuiet you can pick out evey little signal that the detector makes no EMI nothing....i'm glad you tryed it and it paid off for you....did you video this one?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 am

What a great find, terrific work! Considering that to some degree the unearthing of this lovely chunk involved the help of others how is it decided who will keep it or how the proceeds from it be divvied up?

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 am

Another amazing bit, well done piston broke or should I be saying "The Three Amigos" cheers , hope you got it on video.
Would be interested to know the "amazing settings" used with the 18" coil.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 am

wow wow wow affraid another huge one! Well done... awesome stuff there.
ok, im just packing my bags, be over soon Wink
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  au79 Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 am

Gday Piston and not so broke what a great way to start of your trip instantly into it good one cheers Au Laughing
au79
au79
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 am

Once again,well done Pete.Just goes to show,there's always something left lurking around at depth.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:13 am

good stuff Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  Frog Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 am

Well done Pete nice find.I like the way you measure the hole in coke cans Very Happy

Frog
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Byteman, we share all gold found regardless of who finds it. We are in it together, sharing fuel costs, food costs, alcohol costs, everything. It makes for a happy camp and I wouldnt even go if it was any different. cheers Pete.
Golden child, I cant really share the settings out of respect for JP ,because they were sent via personal message.
I made a really thin auger before the trip and tested the detector by lowering a big lead ingot down the hole to differing depths.
With factory settings , the deepest it would pick up the signal was 450 mm. We changed to JPs settings and the signal was audible at a depth of 650 mm, quite amazing but as I said noisy to work with.The Three Amigos return Rsz_pr13

Last edited by piston broke on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 am

Well done Pete
As you would know gold of that size is a rariety,Have you started chaining it yet
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:40 am

hey PB, why would the detector run ratty if it was in the settings that JP sent you? should run smooth shouldn't it? did you try them in the day and was it any worse than the night run? i can't figger that one out as you can get the other detectors to run pretty smooth in deep mode...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 am

Hey Stoppsy, This is what JP said quote " There will be more feedback from the ground in these timings,but the signals will really stand out compared to Enhance or Fine Gold."
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 am

thanks PB, did you try any other detecors over it? it would be good to see if the other detectors would pick the same signal, like a 45 and a 4000....befor you done the night run had you been over that spot in the day? sorry for all the questions mate... i know i had been in a few spots in the day and went back at night and picked up heap more signals where i had been...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 am

piston broke wrote:Hey Stoppsy, This is what JP said quote " There will be more feedback from the ground in these timings,but the signals will really stand out compared to Enhance or Fine Gold."

G'day piston broke

Well done on another very successful trip.

From what we have noticed with a bit of testing is that the "Salt Gold" or "Normal" timing will get about 200mm more depth on a big target at depth compared to "Enhance" or "Fine Gold".

If chasing small shallow gold then "Enhance" or "Fine Gold" wins hands down.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  flying kiwi Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:08 pm

nice one mate Cool

dont ya love it when you put a plan into action and come up trumps!

was wondering if you would pull any more good chunks off that patch Very Happy bet theres still more to be got too with a few more adjusments
flying kiwi
flying kiwi
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnynugget Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:59 pm

I bet the jacks and coke tasted nice after digging that up. Well done, and good help JP. That's why I
Like this forum , where you guys can share the joy of success. I hope one day to do the same.

Newbie question: how does a nice chunk end up there like that, all alone. Wouldn't there be more around it at a similar depth. Prolly a stupid question but I'm new to detecting.
johnnynugget
johnnynugget
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

The Three Amigos return Empty Settings

Post  rarebreed Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:55 pm

davsgold wrote:
piston broke wrote:Hey Stoppsy, This is what JP said quote " There will be more feedback from the ground in these timings,but the signals will really stand out compared to Enhance or Fine Gold."

G'day piston broke

Well done on another very successful trip.

From what we have noticed with a bit of testing is that the "Salt Gold" or "Normal" timing will get about 200mm more depth on a big target at depth compared to "Enhance" or "Fine Gold".

If chasing small shallow gold then "Enhance" or "Fine Gold" wins hands down.

cheers dave

Dave is Correct,
I suspect they had there detector running on a Normal timing with a higher end RX Gain of 14+ and fairly high stabilizing setting to get as much feed back from targets, Also enabling the "Deep" switch which inverts target signals so you can hear the high peak most of us associate with targets instead of trying to listen for that "Negative" sound a lot of the guys would be familiar with on older detectors.

The issue when running in settings like this is the fact you would get huge amounts of false positives on ground that is "Hot" and highly mineralised, making it very hard to hear targets.

Really nice piece of gold PB, Icing on the cake as it were, getting out to the bush with great mates and then finding great gold, well done to you and your mates.

Cheers for sharing Smile

Last edited by rarebreed on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
rarebreed
rarebreed
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:00 pm

another thing to do PB is dig the dirt from around where the nugget was and pan it. a bloke told me to do this if i ever found one that size. he done this and found heaps of gold flakes off a nugget that he found... keep up the night hunts mate you'll never look back...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:06 pm

I suspect you and Dave are on the right track rarebreed, but if you want the max depth try Sharp timing with high Gain and the Audio set to boost.
Just be prepared for a lot of ground noise and sore ears by days end.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 am

Wow Wow Wow, Congratulations ...
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

The Three Amigos return Empty The Three Amigos return

Post  Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 am

Fantastic find there cheers what a buzz that must have been digging that nugget up Smile NICE ONE congratulations.

Cheers
Eureka Dreams

Back to top Go down