Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handheld GPS Mapping

2 posters

Go down

Handheld GPS Mapping Empty Handheld GPS Mapping

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:13 am

Just bought a New GPS unit, A Magellan Explorist 500. Now lets load the SD card with some maps, what maps are everybody using? what do you recommend? What is compatible with Google Earth? How much is this software? Is Oziexplorist the way to go? Regards Johnny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Handheld GPS Mapping Empty Re: Handheld GPS Mapping

Post  Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Hobo's Gold,
I don’t know what facilities your system provides!
I currently use a Garmin GPS which is connected to my laptop which uses OziExplorer.
I have found OziExplorer a very versatile program, it has one advantage for people like us in that you can make your own maps. I have found this very handy when exploring the Golden Triangle. Having moving map enabled lets you see exactly where you are on the goldfields.
Other than making your own maps, most map shops will have CD’s with maps compatible for OziExplorer. As an example there is a Natmap Digital Map CD available for the whole of Australia price approx $99.00. The latest 2008 version has the Australian map (scale 1:250,000) as one file which can be used on the PC version of OZIExplorer. This file is too large for the CE version of OZIExplorer so it also contains this map broken up into six zones (six separate files). These are small enough to work with the CE version.
Regards
Scrat.

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks Scrat, Just purchased Ozi Explorer on the net from the Ozi Explorer webb site ($130.00), and hopefully I,ll get it in the post shortly and I,m looking forward to setting it up and putting my way points on the lap top and my GPS. The other GPS unit I,ve got is a Lowrance Finder Go, which is a very good unit but you can,t load maps on to it. It has done the job for me, colecting way points and keeping track of my cars location. Its For Sale if anybody wants it ($50.00 ) Cheers Regards Johnny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rheo Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Hobo

I have a magellan explorist 600, best hand held GPS I have ever used. Go online to WWW.next destination.com.au and down load MAPSEND LITE. This will give you maps of all of Australia compatible with your Explorist 500 and its free. OR you can purchase an SDcard with the same info from Next Destination for about $200

John

Rheo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down