Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Understanding Information.

Go down

Understanding Information. Empty Understanding Information.

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 am

Understanding Information.

When you read these old articles what information do you get from them? Me well they tell me heaps read the below article and see what you can get out of it. The old articles have a wealth of information locked away in them it is how you interpret this information that is the point. Once you have read the below article scroll down and I will show the information I retrieved from the article. Can you add to it? cheers

GOLD has been discovered in some strange circumstances; in fact, it may be safely said that a very big percentage of the big discoveries were made quite by accident. Dreams have ever been the means of discovering it. Two old fossickers discovered good gold in the rough country at the head of the Snowy River, and left their picks to mark the spot. After returning to civilisation one man died of heart failure, and the other failed to re discover the gold. The finding of two old rusty picks in this country will certainly mean a fortune to someone. On one occasion a stockman's horse became lame, and, on dismounting to ascertain the cause of the lameness, a small nugget of almost pure gold was found lodged in the frog of the horse's hoof. That stockman spent days searching the country over which he had travelled. Sheep slaughtered for mutton have been found to have gold in their teeth, picked up while grazing on short grass. This has led to rich discoveries. Road makers put ting through new roads, and linesmen putting through new telegraph lines, have all played their part in the discovery of gold. Once a sundowner actually lit his fire alongside a nugget of gold. Many sundowners, even to-day, pass away the time waiting for the billy to boil by fossicking about for gold. The Australian natives have also played a prominent part in gold discoveries. When shown gold, they frequently knew where plenty of the yellow stuff was to be found. Round campfires and home fires men sit and tell of the gold they could discover, if they only had the financial backing. Quite a number I know are just waiting to strike something in the Golden Casket to enable them to go after the gold that they know exists. Millions of pounds' worth of gold will certainly be discovered if ever these men strike a big prize.—One wonders if £6000 would cure them of the gold fever. —

Newspaper Article
The Advertiser
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ 

GOLD has been discovered in some strange circumstances; in fact, it may be safely said that a very big percentage of the big discoveries were made quite by accident. Dreams have ever been the means of discovering it. Two old fossickers discovered good gold in the rough country at the head of the Snowy River, {location} and left their picks to mark the spot. {spot was marked} After returning to civilisation one man died of heart failure, and the other failed to re discover the gold. {spot never worked} The finding of two old rusty picks in this country will certainly mean a fortune to someone. On one occasion a stockman's horse became lame, and, on dismounting to ascertain the cause of the lameness, a small nugget of almost pure gold was found lodged in the frog of the horse's hoof. {good spot for detecting} That stockman spent days searching the country over which he had travelled. Sheep slaughtered for mutton have been found to have gold in their teeth, picked up while grazing on short grass. This has led to rich discoveries. Road makers putting through new roads, and linesmen putting through new telegraph lines, have all played their part in the discovery of gold. Once a sundowner actually lit his fire alongside a nugget of gold. Many sundowners, even to-day, pass away the time waiting for the billy to boil by fossicking about for gold. {people are still looking} The Australian natives have also played a prominent part in gold discoveries. When shown gold, they frequently knew where plenty of the yellow stuff was to be found. {listen to what the Aborigines have to say} Round campfires and home fires men sit and tell of the gold they could discover, if they only had the financial backing. Quite a number I know are just waiting to strike something in the Golden Casket to enable them to go after the gold that they know exists. Millions of pounds' worth of gold will certainly be discovered if ever these men strike a big prize.—One wonders if £6000 would cure them of the gold fever. —

I withhold permission for this article to be cut and pasted or duplicated onto any other web site. The reproduction of this account must include the attribution of authorship and the associated copyright notice which follows the account. You may not modify, alter, add to, adapt, edit, abridge, condense or repackage this account without the written permission of the author. 
© JB 2011

Back to top Go down

Understanding Information. Empty Re: Understanding Information.

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Good one James --you could say "reading between the lines" lol! the smart prospector today will know when the council or shire is grading tracks through gold areas !! enough said and I dont mean DIGGING HOLES IN THE TRACK!!! Evil or Very Mad but the grader has taken dirt to the sides of the track ! hasn't it?

Back to top Go down