Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Original Miners Ten Commandments,

Go down

The Original Miners Ten Commandments, Empty The Original Miners Ten Commandments,

Post  Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 am

The Original Miners Ten Commandments, below is an extract the web page where this came from is very much worth the look. Click the below link for the full ten commandments. cheers

THE MINERS' TEN COMMANDMENTS

A man spake these words, and said: I am a miner, who wandered "from a way downeast," and came to sojourn in a strange land, and "see the elephant." And behold I saw him, and bear witness, that from the key of this trunk to the end of his tail, his whole body has passed before me; and I followed him until his huge feet stood still before a clapboard shanty; then with his trunk extended, he pointed to a candle card tacked upon a shingle, as though he would say Read, and I read the MINERS' TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Thou shalt not kill thy body by working in the rain, even though thou shalt make enough to buy physic and attendance with. Neither shalt thou kill thy neighbor's body in a duel; for by "keeping cool," thou canst save his life and thy conscience. Neither shalt thou destroy thyself by getting "tight," nor "stewed," nor "high," nor "corned," nor "half-seas over," nor "three sheets in the wind," by drinking smoothly down "brandy slings," "gin cocktails," "whisky punches," "rum-toddies," nor "egg nogs." Neither shalt thou suck "mint-julips," nor "sherry-cobblers," through a straw, nor gurgle from a bottle the "raw material," nor "take it neat" from a decanter; for, while thou are swallowing down thy purse, and thy coat from off thy back, thou art burning the coat from off thy stomach; and, if thou couldst see the houses and lands, and gold dust, and home comforts already lying there, "a huge pile," thou shouldst feel a choking in thy throat; and when to that thou addest thy crooked walkings and hiccuping talkings, of lodgings in the gutter, of broilings in the sun, or prospect-holes half full of water, and of shafts and ditches, from which thou hast emerged like a drowning rat, thou wilt feel disgusted with thyself, and inquire, "Is thy servant a dog that he doeth these things?" verily I will say, Farewell, old bottle, I will kiss thy gurgling lips no more. And thou, slings, cocktails, punches, smashes, cobblers, nogs, toddies, sangarees, and julips, forever farewell. Thy remembrance shames me; henceforth, "I cut thy acquaintance," and headaches, tremblings, heart burnings, blue devils, and all the unholy catalogue of evils that follow in thy train. My wife's smiles and my children's merry-hearted laugh, shall charm and reward me for having the manly firmness and courage to say no. I wish thee an eternal farewell.

Thanks to Harry Marnell
Link
http://www.notfrisco.com/calmem/goldrush/index.html

Back to top Go down

The Original Miners Ten Commandments, Empty Re: The Original Miners Ten Commandments,

Post  Billy Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for that James, a few very true words there for sure.

Don't say nothin bout beer though cheers cheers
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

The Original Miners Ten Commandments, Empty Re: The Original Miners Ten Commandments,

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:04 am

Billy mate if you get to have a look at that Web page, check out The Miner's Sunday yarn. Man it is good!
cheers
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:50 pm

James 101 wrote:Billy mate if you get to have a look at that Web page, check out The Miner's Sunday yarn. Man it is good!
cheers
cheers

Just had a read of that James, and felt like I was there at the bar with the ol miner. Top story for sure and how well does the writer sum up the feeling of a Sunday. Simpler times for sure.
Thanks again mate for sharing.
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 am

Mate some time ago I read an article in regards to the Snowy Goldfields. That article was very simular to the miners Sunday. I guess that many of the early prospectors from Australia went to the U.S goldfields and brought back not only the knowledge on how to work gold but the pass times as well. Interesting indeed.
Cheers mate
cheers

Back to top Go down