Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE

4 posters

Go down

COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE Empty COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE

Post  goldquest Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi boys, I need some advice on how to use a 1x8 Coiltek "pinpoint probe That I bought new last week from Coiltek, have some of you used it, I tried to use it but it 's very noisy and I do not know how to adjust the volume or ground balance it.
Thank you
Cheers Crying or Very sad
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE Empty Re: COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 pm

GQ

What model detector are you running the probe on mate

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 pm

beepinpete wrote:GQ

What model detector are you running the probe on mate

Pete in WA Cool

Sorry I forgot to tell the model of my metal detector, GPX 4500. Embarassed
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

fencejumper wrote:just follow the instruction sheet.

to balance, its just like a coil, put detector in tracking then raise and lower probe to ground right next to hole then put detector in fixed.
you don't need to touch ground when pinpointing like the small handheld pinpointers as the coiltek probe detects at a good distance.

to turn volume down just use the volume control in detector.(you should not need to, just keep probe close to ground but not touching)

think of it as a mini coil and use it just like a normal coil

cheers

Thank you fencejumper, for your explanation, I will try tomorrow, I hope is not to difficult, I was tempted to buy a Garrett Pro Point and then I decided for something Australian and local.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

GQ

Fencejumper hit the nail on the head, i would also be turning down the RX gain to 1 - 3
and also flick it into Deep mode to smooth out the noises caused by coil saturation...
the Coiltek pinpoint probe has a 1cm wide mono coil wound onto the ferrite which
can make it a tad hard to control on the GPX models...

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:I'm glad the garrett pro point was included in this discussion, I was wondering how much better the coiltek probe is, and was considering buying one, but then I wouldn't have a probe for the relic detector, which is why I thought the pro pointer to service both machines.
thoughts?......
What would you do?

Cheers

Hi GoldstalkerGPX, for coin and relics I use an X terra 70 and I am happy the way pinpoint the targets, that is way I bought a Coiltek probe, because I only needed for my GPX4500. Smile
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 pm

For dum-dum beginners like me, could we start from the beginning please? Firstly, when connecting a pinpointer whether Coiltex or Garrett, do we just disconnect the current coil connection at the box and replace it with one of these pinpointers which we can use loosehand in the hole? And when we are done with the pin-pointing, can we replace our usual coil no problem?

Secondly, I've heard the Garrett pinpointers are the best, but since I could be attending the Coiltex sponsored forum get-together at Laanecoorie in June, naturally I'm open to all suggestions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 12:40 am

marigold

the 2 are very far different from each other, the coiltek probes need to be dissconnected from the
coil socket to be used, and the garrett pro-pointer is a stand alone probe that runs on a single 9v batery.

advantages and diss advantages of both

garrett probe will not go as deep as the coiltek job, but also is very handy cause it just needs
whipping out the holster and used.
The coiltek probes goes deeper but has the dis advantage of needing to be connected by undoing the coil
and connecting the probe, also the settings will need changing to "TAME" the probe down on the 45 and 5000
so it doesnt squeel off its nut at the ground.

So you will see each has its good and bad points, so weigh up which will suit your personal job.

I have been chasing the weight for over 39 yrs now and i can tell you mate, there is nothing more
stressy or harder on the body than digging a 3-4ft target and the bludger is only 2ft down in the
side of the hole Evil or Very Mad

At the moment i run the 5000 and use the garrett pro-pointer, so far so good and geez the amount of digging it has saved me would fill the Kal SuPER PIT....

Dont forget the coiltek probe was the 1st and the deepest seeking probe but hey..
Coiltek also make a groovy switch block to fit to your detector shaft, and that lil ripper has a
2 socket end for the coil and probe, and the socket at the other end goes into the coil socket on the detector box,
and all that is needed to do is when the probe is needed is to SWITCH the detector OFF before turning the switch
onto the probe and re booting the machine, if this is not followed the detector could get harmed real bad.

Hope this was of some help mate but if more is needed
please feel free to give Trevo or Tony a call at Coiltek manufacturing
in Adelaide, im sure they will only be to happy to help, and there is nothing
like hearing it from the horses gob ay.....

Pete in WA Cool

Last edited by beepinpete on Sat May 28, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat May 28, 2011 11:40 am

GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for your informative explanation of the difference between those pinpointers beepinpete. Looks like Garrett might be the go for me since it is run independently meaning no mucking around changing leads etc. Thanks again. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Sat May 28, 2011 11:24 pm

I have both probes and find the Garrett a lot handier.I have the switch block as well for the coiltek and found that even when i had it switched to the main coil if metal was moved around the probe i could hear noises.I lost my Garrett for a month over Avoca way and went back to the C probe while it was missing.It made me appreciate how easy to use the garrett is.

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 29, 2011 7:05 pm

fencejumper wrote:just be aware that the garrets interfere with some machines even when turned off....theres a fair bit of info about it in here somewhere

cheers

Today I went to a training day at Talbot, Russell, the instructor showned us that Garrett Pro point interfere with the machine even when turned off and makes the metal detector very noisy, practically useless. Crying or Very sad
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 7:45 pm

goldquest wrote: Today I went to a training day at Talbot, Russell, the instructor showned us that Garrett Pro point interfere with the machine even when turned off and makes the metal detector very noisy, practically useless. Crying or Very sad
Cheers, Goldquest
Which machine were you using goldquest?

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Marigold wrote:
goldquest wrote: Today I went to a training day at Talbot, Russell, the instructor showned us that Garrett Pro point interfere with the machine even when turned off and makes the metal detector very noisy, practically useless. Crying or Very sad
Cheers, Goldquest
Which machine were you using goldquest?

IT wasn't my machine, was a brand new GPX5000.

Last edited by goldquest on Sun May 29, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 pm

I am fairly normal height,5'10, i can put my garrett above my head when turned off and still hear it when directly above a C 14" mono on my 45. I put it on my belt behind me and it doesn't seem to interfere.

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for that goldquest. From what you're saying, the GPX-5000 you were using had some problems with the Garrett pinpointer. But Rwork's 4500 seems to be okay if he positions it correctly, and I'm hoping my 4000 is okay with it too.

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Marigold wrote:Thanks for that goldquest. From what you're saying, the GPX-5000 you were using had some problems with the Garrett pinpointer. But Rwork's 4500 seems to be okay if he positions it correctly, and I'm hoping my 4000 is okay with it too.

Hi Marigold, seems to me that you already made ​​your decision, the money is yours, but from what I saw today I would buy a Coiltek probe, I did, mine works very well and is not as complicated as it seems. Wink
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks Goldquest, I don't want to risk damage to the leads by frequent plugging/unplugging. I've already noticed some slight damage to one of the main leads and would prefer to avoid costly lead wear-and-tear. I was hoping you might say it was only the 5000 that was sensitive to the Garrett pinpointer, but I'll take my chances with the 4000.

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 am

Hi All,
Just thought i would chime in to mention a few points about our Pinpointer. So far BeepinPete has described its use well and he knows how to run it well.

Firstly, it is designed as a MONO coil so it will behave like a mono in mineralised ground. Secondly it is ultra-sensitive due to the way it is manufactured. Therefore there are some techniques to using this probe which i hope will help those who have one or are thinking about getting one at some stage: (I plan to have a youtube demo video up very soon on this)

Use the probe like a pendulum: when using the probe, hold it just above the strain relief by the cable and slowly balance the end of the probe to the ground as you would any normal coil. The main detection area is at the end of the probe - the field goes out the end and around the sides of the bottom 2-3 inches of the probe.

To use the probe, slowly lower it into the hole or desired area so it hovers around 1 inch above the ground. It is best to not touch the soil or rocks. This is due to the sensitivity of the unit as it becomes touch sensitive when knocked. The wires and internals are fully sealed with epoxy resin so it is also waterproof but due to the nature of the beast, any knocks can trouble the unit.

Move around the open hole or soil until you get the loudest response, remembering to hover and hold the probe by the cable.

As Pete mentioned, you do need to turn off your detector if using a switch block before you switch between the probe/coil.

It is by far the deepest searching probe on the market but does take a little getting used to. By reducing GAIN on the later model GPX units you can reduce some sensitivity of the probe to ground changes or knocks but moving slowly with the unit helps alot. Once the technique is mastered or at least understood it will help direct your dig towards the right stuff!

Also, it can be used horizontally to the ground, held at the cable entry point, but you will need to keep the relationship to the ground consistent. By this i mean do not change the angle of the probe to the ground as you will hear a ground noise due to the magnetic field going out of balance. Waving the probe around like a wand will create loads of noise again due to the magnetic field of the probe to the earth. I find the best method the pendulum style.

If you have any questions please contact me for more info. As i mentioned, i inted to have a short demo video uploaded soon to help explain how to use it to its full potential.

Of course this product will not suit everyones purpose but we are here to help if you do have or get one.

HAve fun!
Trevor.

Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 11:58 am

Trev

Good explanation of the correct method of use mate, im sure that it will help the members
really good.

I might also add that the Coiltek probe also comes in a 500mm length for ease of use in the
deeper holes, and it costs just a pitance more than the smaller model, this size is fantastic
for guys who may be having troubles getting down on their knees or bellies Razz
Due to back/leg problems, or excessive self medication drunken drunken Razz Razz

Look, these gadgets (pin-pointers) regardless of brand, really do help retreive that deep
target with ease, and help us to get it out &
get on with the job of finding more of that lovely yellow metal.
Just like the Anti-interference coils, everybody should try to have these 2 items as a standard
part of their kit..

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Well said mate and thanks for the kind words.

I hope WA is treating you well and your getting out and getting some...

colour of course...

Not much gold here in the Adelaide hills unless you get onto some private property (with permission of course) silent .

Only found two specs so far this year! Sad Must admit, most of my time in the field lately is testing and not searching! Due for a good trip soon i reckon.

I love hearing about all the finds on the forums but it surely makes me realise i am deficient in GOLD WEIGHT! Wink

Take care.
Trev

Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Trev

Yeah its gettin a little harder in the hills there but my boy seems to always come home
with a few nuggets, he is thinkin of doin a tibooburra trip soon so i told him to hunt down
the "peanut spitter" Razz and hook up with him to get up to tibby cause he knows that
area like no other does..

Have a goody Trev & the rest of the old crew.

P.S Nullagine is still givin up plenty Wink

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down