Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting shoes

+19
Swedes63
rarebreed
Jigalong
TWO BOB
C. Nyal de Kaye
TutC
tharhills
Narrawa
VK3MNM
Geronimo Reilly
kon61
mariner3800
Billy
hoolahoopa
artrix
HOBO'S Gold
byronbinalong
GoldstalkerGPX
wahoo
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

detecting shoes Empty detecting shoes

Post  wahoo Thu May 19, 2011 7:15 pm

what suggestions are there for a good pair of detecting shoes or boots
just trying to get some gear together and work out my budget
thanks Very Happy
wahoo

wahoo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

detecting shoes Empty Re: detecting shoes

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Redback boots no steel at all and comfy as well.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu May 19, 2011 7:21 pm

G'day Wahoo, these are the go.... http://www.inventionreaction.com/weird-inventions/Metal-Detecting-Sandals

Nah, seriously, I have redback boots, they are a work boot without the steel caps and are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.....for the record I don't do shoes, I'm a work boot man.

Link here REDBACKS

Oh, and I think I paid about $90 Question from Rays Outdoors

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Thu May 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I have blunstones and they are good also ... just went into "rivers" today and seen GR8 looking boots, lots more robust than the blunnies and bloody cheaper too at $70 ... slip on boots I am talking about cheers cheers
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Here here to redback boots they have a softer sole than other boots and are very comfortable i paid $85 for them at assie disposals about 6 months ago and they seem to be wearing ok so far. Good thing i found is they have 1/2 sizes like 8 1/2 and so on , which is good for us who have feet size's in between and can help us who like to wear nice thick socks. The only thing i had to adjust to was not being able to see if my rig was still working by waving my old steel caps close by...

Kind Regards
Dani

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu May 19, 2011 7:46 pm

I wear Red Backs, I wear them at work, I wear them in the Gold fields, I wear them at home, I wear them 7 days a week, My wife told me off the other day because I was wearing them in the bedroom Evil or Very Mad And I'm not joking

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Thu May 19, 2011 7:48 pm

What model redback boot

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi i dont know the model but if u go to the nuggets from down under web site they have pictures in the boots section there to veiw but no model number but a quick visual of the sole shows up as being kind of transparent when new and very light to hold Hope this help..

Regards
Dani

Last edited by zacaboy on Thu May 19, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu May 19, 2011 7:58 pm

artrix wrote:What model redback boot

Artrix, mine are from the classic range UBOK the best thing about redbacks are they are Australian made cheers

EDIT: while we are on the topic I will add that I use a leather conditioner on my redbacks that is also made in our triangle, these people are great to deal with and make a fantastic product.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NATURAL-AUSTRALIAN-BEESWAX-LEATHER-VINYL-CONDITIONER-/150562054502?pt=AU_Housekeeping&hash=item230e32a166
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Yep the model is UBOK for the dark brown ones or UBBK for black ones.

http://www.redback.net.au/atw.html

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 pm

used to use blundstones but now use macks. these are much nicer to wear all day. http://www.mackboots.com.au/content_common/pr-safety-footwear-other_mackdingo.seo
cheers
hoolahoopa

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Thu May 19, 2011 9:17 pm

HOBO'S Gold wrote:I wear Red Backs, I wear them at work, I wear them in the Gold fields, I wear them at home, I wear them 7 days a week, My wife told me off the other day because I was wearing them in the bedroom Evil or Very Mad And I'm not joking

Regards Johnny sunny

Everything Johnny said apart from the wife telling him off (no one tells me off when I wear them in the bedroom) Basketball
I also wear my trusty RedbacK boots whilst fishing/boating, going to the pub, and have even polished em up real good and attended a wedding Razz
Not sure what the oliver boots are like these days but when I owned several pairs over the years I found them to be on my feet more often than not too.
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Got some great advise from GPA on my first trip REDBACK boots and have not looked back, much better tread patten than my old Blunnies and heaps more support.

Can pick them up from Aussie Disposals for $80.00 and Rays if you use your discount card for $75.00

Go The Redbacks

Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 pm

G'day Gents.

Id have to agree with most of you on the Red Backs.Tough as nails,comfortable and the toughest longest lasting tread Iv ever encounted on a boot.I recently tried a boot called "Mongrel" which(even though cost a little more than my Red Backs) offered a similar silicon/see through tread with a thicker softer ride in the sole,but after 3 months of wear, the soft rubber surrounding the boots started to come unstuck round the sides of both boots.So back to the Red Backs we go. Only one draw back Ive found with the RedBacks that I never encounted with either the Blundstones nor the Mongrels is that they tend to slip more over wet smooth slate or rocks.Has anyone else sensed similar or am i just imagining things and all boots do the same over wet rocks?.

Cheers guys kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Geronimo Reilly Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 pm

HOBO'S Gold wrote:I wear Red Backs, I wear them at work, I wear them in the Gold fields, I wear them at home, I wear them 7 days a week, My wife told me off the other day because I was wearing them in the bedroom Evil or Very Mad And I'm not joking

Regards Johnny sunny
Seems you like to put the boot in, eh, Johnny !!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Geronimo
Geronimo Reilly
Geronimo Reilly
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  VK3MNM Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 pm

I was a die hard Blunstone bloke but gave em the boot for the Redbacks.
Most comfortable boot i have ever worn, i also wear them everywhere, even out for dinner.
They are tough as nails, go for it.

Cheers Ill
VK3MNM
VK3MNM
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri May 20, 2011 4:39 am

Iv done the red back thing and after tormenting a few pairs iv settled on the Mongrels. They have a much wider area on the side of the boot where you use to scrape the ground.
They also have a light metal shank in the heel section which to date have not effected this blokes stance, that being 6'1" using a full otto shaft swinging 16" and 24x12" coils.. Infact you have to actually wave the rear of the boot over the coil to get a signal.

However, just like the red backs and other brands, they all melt when to close to the fire to which i have a fetish. Be it mostly the first night out round the campfire and i'll break them in this way warming my feet ... and usually while gloating to the others about my new boots.Rolling Eyes
Last trip out with a good friend, he was showing us how his red-backs soul had separated from the rest of the boot, they had only done a few ks.....May God have mercy on their souls.

Mongrel to the bone....and my partner will back that up.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  tharhills Fri May 20, 2011 6:53 am

Love my rossi boots !!
They fit like a glove (and i have very wide feet).
They're the only shoes i've owned for the last 15 years ( gone through 4 or 5 pairs, of course).
And they seem to last even though I put them through hell.
About a 100 dollars and not steel capped

tharhills
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  TutC Fri May 20, 2011 7:27 am

Got to be Rossi Mulga's for me. They're lace ups, but the brass eyelets are handy to check your detector if it is quiet on the gold front.
Comfortable and tough as old boots! Very Happy
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34

prk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 7:49 am

Gday

Redback UBOK boots, my current ones are about 3-4 seasons old and ready for retirement like me, they are a perfect fit for my type of foot, they dont seem to stretch like other boots I have had that seemed a good fit initially, and then I found them starting to slip about on my feet, once that happens then you get sore spots in your feet, if you are walking many klms a day in the bush you will suffer from foot problems and blisters.

Your boots should not only give you good grip and a non slip fit but should also give you support for your ankles, twisted ankles and knees are the main injuries you will get from walking rocky ground, and a poor fitting boot will not help and could in fact cause further injury.

I love Rivers shoes and boots also, but the steel capped work boots I bought to try out did the same thing, they are too soft in the construction around the ankle and soon became so loose that two pairs of socks are needed, if you look at the Rivers ones I would recommend that you first try a size smaller than you normally take.

Also if you rub Dubbin into your boots it will soften the leather and also help to waterproof them as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 am

I will enthusiastically add my vote for Redbacks. My current "detecting" boots are almost three years old - very comfortable and still have a lot of life in them yet. I now have several pairs of Redbacks and wear them everyday. So, get yourself some Redbacks!
C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 am

About five years ago, I bought two pairs of "T-boots" made by Enoch Taylor and Co. These are an All Australian elastic sided boot with no metal whatsoever.
One pair is still brand new and the other looks like they will never wear out. I wear them most days of the week and have probably walked twice around the planet in them. Very tough and well under $100. haed to find but well worth the hunt. SUPER comfortable right from ther get-go

C. Nyal de Kaye wrote:I will enthusiastically add my vote for Redbacks. My current "detecting" boots are almost three years old - very comfortable and still have a lot of life in them yet. I now have several pairs of Redbacks and wear them everyday. So, get yourself some Redbacks!

How many legs have you got C??? Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 3:25 pm

re boot sizes all half sizes are for extra width not length im told! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Fri May 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Murachu wrote:re boot sizes all half sizes are for extra width not length im told! Very Happy

That is correct .... 1/2 size IS for width Very Happy Very Happy
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Sat May 21, 2011 7:56 am

Well picked up Robert. Razz

Can I correct it to say, "I now have several pairs of Redbacks and wear ONE PAIR every day."
C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 9:20 am

Ah... that's better C. I had a sneaking suspicion that you had only two legs Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

detecting shoes Empty detecting boots

Post  TWO BOB Sat May 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi , I also love REDBACK boots. The lase up type support the ankle's better than the slip on. So I drill out the metal eyelets.
After wearing boots of all types working & detecting for over 30 yrs. I find the REDBACKS are the best Laughing Laughing
"TWO BOB"
TWO BOB
TWO BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 am

Thought i'd share a photo of the R bacKs and the Blundstones gettin cosy by the fire.

detecting shoes Editedforgforum

Another suggestion is the Taipans. Have found them to be a comfortable, long wearing boot.

P.S. Did you end up getting a pair of detecting boots?

Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sun May 22, 2011 7:34 am

"Hi , I also love REDBACK boots. The lase up type support the ankle's better than the slip on. So I drill out the metal eyelets.
After wearing boots of all types working & detecting for over 30 yrs. I find the REDBACKS are the best "
TWO BOB.

TWO BOB,

I also like lace ups - my feet tend to slip around too much in slip on boots. How long do the lace up Redbacks last without the metal eyelets ?

Thanks,

Jialong.

Last edited by Jigalong on Sun May 22, 2011 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : carnt spel)
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

detecting shoes Empty thanks guys

Post  wahoo Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks Guys for your comments
I havent brought any yet but i will check out all your suggestions
i always thought that steel caps and steel lace holes were a no no but some of you guys use them to check your detector??
catch ya Very Happy
wahoo Basketball

wahoo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next