Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallaby DD-17" UFO

3 posters

Go down

Wallaby DD-17" UFO Empty Wallaby DD-17" UFO

Post  seb1008 Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:17 pm

Hello, First of all, I am totaly newbi to gold hunting. Could some one tell me the difference in depth in say a Wallaby DD coil compared to a 17" UFO. Are we talking 3-4 inches or maybe 1/2+ inches? The reason I am wondering is that say you used the DD in moderate ground and was able to miss the hot rocks that you might check out with the mono by the end of the day ypu would probably have covered more ground and so had more chance of hitting more gold. Is this reasonable or should a person get both the mono and dd? I already have a Platypus mono and a 6" goldstalker. I will be detecting in northern Alaska in very rocky and brushy wet area. Thank you for your help. Seb

seb1008
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Wallaby DD-17" UFO Empty Re: Wallaby DD-17" UFO

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:53 am

It's all relative, if for instance the ground noise is severe then the DD will be less problematic because they tend to run quieter, however DD's also have to be used at a much slower pace due to the design (the way they generate their target response). Mono coils punch much deeper, are far more sensitive and can be used with a much faster coil sweep speed which equates to more ground covered in a day.

You haven't mentioned what Minelab machine you are planning to use the coils on, if it is a GPX range machine then they have an option with Mono coils of dealing with the vast majority of hot rocks and ground noise with less reduction in outright performance than a DD option (they can also use the DDs as well if you have a previous model and want to upgrade in the future). Generally speaking most serious operators have coils of similar sizes in both coil type designs (DD and Monos).

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  seb1008 Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:54 am

Thank you Jonathan. Sorry I forgot to say it is a SD2100 with a pocket rocket. I am going to get a 17" and 24" UFO I guess if I got the wallaby DD then I would have it pretty well covered depending on the ground and size of the gold. Take care, Seb

seb1008
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:59 am

Good luck in Alaska! Bring along both monos and DD's along as JP said. Have at least one DD that is bigger than your stock 11" DD.

Thanks, JP or anyone, yes Monos have a much faster coil sweep speed than a DD, which equates to more ground covered in a day. BUT a DD needs much less overlapping so will cover more ground in that respect too. But with same sized coils, overall and all things considered, will the mono still cover more ground than a DD in a day?

Also not many people talk about or use the NF 24" elliptical(24x12) mono it seems. I want to buy that one in the new NF Advantage. Why? The best of both worlds. Better on small nuggets than a 16" or 18" round mono and better coverage. Yes the 14 elliptical mono is better on small nuggets and yes the 16" or 18" round mono is better on deeper gold but like I said the best of both worlds in a compromise is the 24" elliptical mono.

I feel the 24" elliptical mono would also need less overlapping than a big round mono coil since it is elliptical with a longer or elongated hot spot in the middle as compared to a round coils single center hot spot. An Elliptical Mono coil needs less overlapping than a Round Mono coil due to that elongated hot spot. Therefore using a big elliptical mono to cover more ground in a day than a big round mono coil. But correct me if I am wrong of course.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum