Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more depth

+2
Rwork
march
6 posters

Go down

more depth Empty more depth

Post  march Wed May 18, 2011 10:49 am

Hi guys, can anyone tell me how to get more depth without changing the coil?
I got a 5000 and using a 11" mono. It just seems to only detect around 2 inches.
I had it pretty good for a while and was finding a few little nuggets but then one day, i bought a coilteck 14" x 7 ufo and it was making a racket.
A fellow come up to me and we had a chat and he noticed that the machine was very unstable. He made a few changes and it was much better but i changed back to the 11" mono and now its only detecting very shallow and i forgot the old settings.
Please help, ive been out for 4 days and have found nothing. Its got to be the machine's performance.
Cheers March

march
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

more depth Empty Re: more depth

Post  Rwork Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 am

Do a reset by holding the on switch On. Some of the 11" minelab coils supplied with the 5000 had a fault.Someone will have a list of the seriel numbers.Rwork

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Wed May 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Make sure its in MONO mode on the front panel, sounds like it might be in CANCEL mode. Do as Rwork said and RESET the digital menu to default. If that doesn't work and since you have tried 2 coils and still having problems I suspect it is a problem with your machine. Unfortunately it might have to go back to Minelab.

PS: if you are lucky you may have copped a bad day or area for EMI, try again tomorrow or find another area. Also check the socket on your unit where the coil plugs in, sometimes they loosen up and cause problems.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

I would say its your settings. You can go to Minelabs site and they have a listing of the bad serial numbers on the coils. I would not let someone else change my settings on my machine. I would take advise from anyone and make the changes myself so I know what is going on and what changes were made. Other than that I would do a total reset and start over. Hope that works for you.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm

How fast are you swinging? Depth depends on slowness os swing more than anything else IMHO.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  march Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Ok, thanks guys. If i up the gain, will that enhance the depth?

march
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Hmm, Hmm and more Hmm! march do as suggested by doing the factory pre set and air test a 5 cent piece, You should have a response at a foot or more and make sure your front panel coil RX switch is set to mono arrrrrrrr, Then try your double d coil, it should be very similar.
If your results are poor, meaning only a couple of inch's, SEND IT BACK TO MINELAB.
Cheers and good luck. Chris Evil or Very Mad Sad Very Happy bounce affraid pale king

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 am

Turning the gain up can give you more depth depending on the ground. You can adjust the gain and stabilizer to help in depth but only if the ground can handle it. If you try adjusting in to much you will get alot of chatter and false signals, Not only that but alot depends on your other settings too.
Most of the time you need to adjust other settings after messing with the gain and/or stabilizer, they all go together overall for the best performance.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

more depth Empty deep settings

Post  dazza gold Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:34 pm

hi wyelee could you help me.i have a minelab5000with a 22inch monocoiltek coil.would you no how i would run my settings with this coil for max deepth.eny help woul help thanks daryl.

dazza gold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down