Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hockey Stick Coil

3 posters

Go down

Hockey Stick Coil Empty Hockey Stick Coil

Post  echidnadigger Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Running off the back of recent talk about coil design and the functional parameters of coils and some very good explanations. Particularly JP's in depth outline.
There has been a product displayed in the GG&T magazine that has me a little exited. Its a product that I have always wished a coil would look like.
Secon, has a treasure hunting or gold detecting? coil that looks like a hockey stick. Its displayed with their Trex 204.
Is this something we may see as technological advances in coil technology in the future? (Talk about a vacuum cleaner for gold LOL)
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Hockey Stick Coil Empty Re: Hockey Stick Coil

Post  nero_design Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

If earlier discussions on coil shape are to be considered, the Trex is going to have some problems relating to field emission due to the shape. I have no doubt it would work for shallow targets (might even be super sensitive due to field density) but it looks a little too narrow and I would imagine that this might cause the field to implode slightly instead of extend itself for greater depth.

On the Trex: Ebinger designed this coil 40 years ago (1966) and called it "The Hockey Stick" back then... these wands were attached to bomb and explosive sensing equipment and the recent Trex 204 is based on this early design. Apparently it operates at 14khz and that would imply strongly that it's a VLF detector. The coil was re-designed for relic hunting in the UK and Europe. The detector (not the coil itself) lacks Ground Balancing abilities and I've already heard from numerous sources that these German detectors were unsuitable for Australian soils. The Trex was reviewed for an overseas magazine and the review can also be found online... the depth stated in the review was 8 inches in the Lowest Sensitivity Range and 12" in All Ranges... becoming somewhat "iffy" with discrimination active.

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:49 am

Marco,
I can now see the sense in this type of coil. I hope it gets developed further but it sounds like decades of research has found its limitations.
Mixing the old (VLF) with the new (PI) could bring a hockey stick coil forward that might just be the ultimate shallow nugget finder.
Is it possible ?
Thoughts from yourself or others would be interesting.
As this is a topic of projection into the future there is no right or wrong. Lets just say its a bit of a brain storming exercise.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  IBGold Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi all I have been building and using 3 x 1 Rectangular Mono and DD coils for a couple of years both on my SD2000 and GP3500 and they ae very sensitive and have a blade like field in the US I believe they are called "Big Foot coils". The 3 x 1 ratio is the best performer, I run a 3.5" x 10.5" a 4" x 12"a 5" x 15" and a 7" x 21" all work extremely well. Regards Very Happy Ian.

Last edited by IBGold on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Did not make sence)

IBGold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down