Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man Winter Is Here.

Go down

Man Winter Is Here. Empty Man Winter Is Here.

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Man Winter Is Here.

Thursday morning saw me on my way back out to an area I have been working for the last few weeks. The gold has been good not flash but good around ¼ gram an hour at times running to ½ gram an hour. Due to the coolness of the weather I am running at 5 hour days with a return of 1.5 to 2 gram of gold per day just payable. Thursday night was -6 and boy did it feel every bit of it. At the area I am working wood is an issue but I got a load on my way in and was I glad I did so. Friday night was -4 and the same for Saturday night. I have seen a few post where people are asking about prospecting in the winter months.
I think 99.9 percent of prospectors prospect in the winter and I also think the single most important fact is to sleep warm I reckon this would have to be the most important fact about prospecting in the winter. Everything else you can live with but if you are cold when you sleep your buggered the next day. And this will end your trip in no time flat. As for your gear {I am referring to wet water prospecting} you must pack it up and place it under cover. Never leave your pump set or your lay flat run out if you do and the frost comes in well you can give the idea away of using it the next day. It is also a good idea when you are setting your pump after a very frosty night to give the motor a pull to see if it will turn over and the impeller is not frozen which can result in a broken pump shaft. One last point is the shovel you use where the rounded bit is that you put your foot on to drive the shovel into the wash. You must round the ends off or they will hole the bottom of your boot real quick, and there is nothing like a wet foot on a cold day grin.
cheers James 101

Man Winter Is Here. Gold

I withhold permission for this article to be cut and pasted or duplicated onto any other web site. The reproduction of this account must include the attribution of authorship and the associated copyright notice which follows the account. You may not modify, alter, add to, adapt, edit, abridge, condense or repackage this account without the written permission of the author.
©️ JB 9/5/2011

cheers

Back to top Go down

Man Winter Is Here. Empty Re: Man Winter Is Here.

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 7:39 pm

James

Well done mate, not a bad days work if i do say so.
Must be bloody cold on the hands at the moment for you,
coldest i can remember was having to break the thin ice to
get my pan in the water and thats when a rum toddy is the
best breakfast you can get, oh! and a good bacon sanga too Razz

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Man Winter Is Here. Empty Re: Man Winter Is Here.

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Pete the days are just right but mate getting up on a -5 foggy morning oh my god. Grin ya get dressed very fast indeed ah then the rum toddy & breakfast. You know that rum thing dose work. cheers mate
cheers

Back to top Go down