Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong.

Go down

Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong. Empty Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong.

Post  Billy Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:57 am

Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong. IMGP6250editedforGF

This photo was taken in April 2010, where myself and a mate camped for 3 nights. Any suggestions on the origin/purpose of the cuttings (for want of a better word) cut into the bank of the river (Macquarie) would be much appreciated. Am led to believe that it was the work of the Chinese, who also had alot of success (not without alot of hard work as well) further up the creek. The amount of gold that they retrieved after it was declared "worked out" is quite amazing and sort of mirrors our own Aussie attitude of never say die.
Plus I bet my left teat that they had the gold fever too clown

One year on and the spot where the photo was taken is less than 150 mt from the waters edge!!

Good for other hobbies cheers

Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong. Worked1editedforGF
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong. Empty Re: Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong.

Post  Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 am

G'day Billy

Those cuttings that you describe could have been made by the old dredges that worked up and down the river from Wellington to above Mookerawa.

One still sits on the bank rusting away behind Wellington.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong. Empty Re: Low tide workings at Lower Burrendong.

Post  Billy Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 am

That sounds more likely Dave.
Its a shame that important pieces of our history, like the dredge you mention are just left to rust.
Guess they are a bit big to do much with.
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down