Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting

5 posters

Go down

Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting Empty Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting

Post  Goldbait Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Ok. so here is the thing... I want to get into treasure hunting.

In the blue corner is a Garrett GTI 2500 vs the red corner a Minelab 705

Which one do you go for. both units are about the same $$$. The garrett is 100% coins and relics, then 705 is 75% coins/relics 25% gold.

I currently have a GP extreme.. should i just get a smaller coil for this?
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting Empty Re: Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting

Post  Ash100456 Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 pm

I do coin/relic hunting as well as golding, Weapons of choice for Coins/Relics = Minelab Soverign GT and golding = GPX4500.
Your choices are both good & there will be pro's & con's for either machines, What ever machine, you cant really go wrong, just learn to use it to its strenghts & you will be rewarded with many a great find.
Not sure with your current machine but certainly give it a try, what have you got to lose.
I am sure you will get more replies from learned forum members.
P.S. I do have a 705 for the wife but we have yet to try it out.
Cheers
Ash
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting Empty Re: Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting

Post  Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Both company's have been around for years and both have very good reputations. I my self look at it this way, Garrett is American, Minelab is Australian, so my choice would be the Minelab and keep the money in Australia, and also as being made here they would be made for Australian conditions. But first I would just keep your Extreme as this can still be used also as a treasure hunting machine with the standard coil. And if your not happy then I would look at the Minelab 705.
Others may have better advice.

Cheers Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Roaring Days Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Need to ask a few questions; where do you intend to use it? are you wanting a machine to do both or specifically coins and relics? is there a budget your working with?
The Extreme is a good gold detector but the discrimination leaves a lot to be desired. Remember that they only discriminate with DD coils.
I use an Etrac for coins and it is awesome in heavily trash infested areas. Not spectacular depth but it's not pulse induction.

Glenn
Roaring Days
Roaring Days
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:56 pm

would be used at the beach
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Roaring Days Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 pm

OK that's me out! I've never beach detected. Take a look at White's detectors too.
All the best with your quest & keep us posted on how you go once you've taken the plunge!

Glenn
Roaring Days
Roaring Days
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 pm

I use a 705, beach and field work. Depth at the beach is amazing, discrimination great, tid wonderful, and using the beach tracking mode makes going from dry sand to wet sand a breeze. I use a dd coil although most people prefer the concentric (but I have 4 coils to choose from).
Anyway, thats just my opinion on what I use and like, lol. Very Happy
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:24 am

Gday

The best machine I have used for coin and relic hunting is the minelab sovereign gt, it can be effectively used on beaches, in parks, and in the goldfields.

One of its best features is its descrimination ability, and I also like the way it is set up on a straight shaft in the same way the minelab pi's detectors are, also you are able to get several coils for it, the standard coil you get with it is waterproof and you can even get a 15" coil for it as well, which is brilliant on the beach for covering more area and getting better depth.

Another feature is you can run it in a silent mode so that you dont have to contend with any level of noise until you get a target, it has a very good depth ability on coins and I was often surprised at just how deep I had to dig for some targets.

It comes with a rechargeable battery pack and standard charger, and there are car chargers available for them as well and also another battery pack that you can put AA batteries in and carry as a backup.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 am

Here Here ! StayerAU Completely agree, Soverign GT is a goal kicker on the beach, My weapon of choice coupled with the 15" WOT Coil. Lots of coins & other interesting items, Some at 20" depth. Also used the Soverign GT with the standard coil at Wedderburn Jamboree ( This year ), 4 Tokens, 1 penny, 1 Chinese coin, Button & Buckle ( See Wedderburn Finds on this forum )
Cheers
Ashley

Last edited by Ash100456 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Garrett vs Minelab - Treasure hunting Empty choice

Post  charcoal_chaser Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 am

There,s only one choice for me , for a one eyed view see www.minelabowners.com

charcoal_chaser
Contributor