Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it a pocket?

2 posters

Go down

Is it a pocket? Empty Is it a pocket?

Post  skysite Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey guys
I've been working a spot for a few trips now and getting lots of fine gold and is the same for about 50m along the bank the bank is about 1-2 metres high and Then there is a flat for around 30m how do I know if the gold is washed down the river or if it has come from a pocket above me....?....should I check the flat spot for larger pieces??????
Dave
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Is it a pocket? Empty Re: Is it a pocket?

Post  Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Dave that sounds like your on a leader mate. Have you checked the top benches on the bank? They don’t need to be very big, I panned an ounce in a day from such a spot which was no bigger than 6 inches wide and about 30 feet long but man was it rich. I then spent two weeks looking for the lead with no luck. Have you checked to see how wide the lead is? Can you vision what the water flow is like when the area is in full flood? What side of the area is the silt bars placed? Is there any rock bars in the area? There are a lot of factors involved when it comes to where dose the gold come from question. that’s the best I can do mate without looking at the area.
Cheers James 101

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Now James i had to delete what i was writing lol!! snap! yes Dave a little more exploration is needed and if you give me the co ordinates of the spot ,gps way points will do, James and I will go and work eeeeerrrrr i mean test the spot for you!!! Shocked cheers lol! only joking Dave !! well done for finding the spot and asking questions cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Murachu ya clown Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:14 pm

G'day Skysite!

A true case of "Pocket Gold" is where a Gold vein breaks the surface and weathers out for a long time. As the rock disintegrates the loose material slowly washes / slides downhill until it eventually enters a stream or river. The larger nugets of Gold remain behind at the source because the forces moving the material downhill are too weak to move the heavier nuggets. That short story, "All Gold Canyon" does a most noble job of describing that situation, as well as the tried and true system to track the source down.

James 101 is certainly correct on your specific situation here, and Murachu is hot on his heels, too.

Best of luck to you, you seem to have a grand winner there! Smile

Back to top Go down

Is it a pocket? Empty Is it a pocket?

Post  goldrocs Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Dave look out for some of these guys they might want jump your spot
i'll be up there on the weekend and there is still good gold coming from that area
going to try the other side where that rock bar is and up that little creek thanks
for the spot try to leave some for you.... Wink
Goldrocs....
goldrocs
goldrocs
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 am

goldrocs wrote:Dave look out for some of these guys they might want jump your spot.... Wink
Goldrocs....

I dont think so!
We respect the rights of other prospectors. A bucket left in a hole or X sticks indicates work being carried out - it is bad form to take advantage of someone else's hard work. This type of marking your dig is quite prevalent in the Queensland gem fields and respected by most other prospectors through out the rest of the states. But there are those who disregard this respect and make a mockery of a time honoured tradition amongst fellow prospectors.

james 101 cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:04 am

Goldrocs i do hope your comment was in jest!! as mine was in the previous answer to skysite ,if so make sure you use a smiley Very Happy a wink is way to ambiguous cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

calm down guys ive known davrocs for a long time i know its all in good fun......
Dave Very Happy
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 am

Grin I thought so cheers mate cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:29 am

ahh ok thanks skysite cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

goldrocs wrote:Dave look out for some of these guys they might want jump your spot
i'll be up there on the weekend and there is still good gold coming from that area
going to try the other side where that rock bar is and up that little creek thanks
for the spot try to leave some for you.... Wink
Goldrocs....
dave check down stream from that hole and above on the flat that water went through there pretty high and would have cut that corner a fair bit....was going to head up but getting the new kitchen and rooftop camper sorted out this weekend might take the young bloke next weekend... cheers
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 am

Murachu wrote:ahh ok thanks skysite cheers
davrocs is just a bit old and seniel mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 am

skysite wrote:
Murachu wrote:ahh ok thanks skysite cheers
davrocs is just a bit old and seniel mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

and as one to another "whats wrong with dat" Twisted Evil Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Is it a pocket? Empty Is it a pocket

Post  goldrocs Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey guys,
Hope i didn't upset any of my fellow prospectors with my comment as it was intended in jest Murachu
thanks for pointing that out.
i wll be catching up with skysite soon ill give him old and senial..
Dave ill have a look at those spots you menitoned and get back to you'
YOU YOUNG WHIPER SNAPPER Smile
Goldrocs cheers cheers

PS how do you upload pics to this site thanks....
goldrocs
goldrocs
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Photobucket Pictures

Post Jefgold on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:25 pm
There is a site called http://photobucket.com/ . This is where you can upload any amount of photos and videos and you can link them into your discussions like this. (You can also use any other link you want - this is how I entered the graphs in the Gold Price)

Join PhotoBucket then enter Gold Detecting in images Search box and Search. This will show you many photos and you can then go to the Gold Detecting Group, where you can upload your photo. After this is done, open up your photo and one the right side you will see the link address or URL for your photo.

Copy the link url and when you are having your discussion at the point you want the photo you click on the image icon at the top of the discussion page and paste the link in there.

You dont need large pics on the web so in nearly all cases make your photos postcard size which is quite sufficient when uploading to any web site. This make the picture easy to see and the quality is reasonable as well. (See our pics in the Gallery as an example)

If you right click on the picture in this message and look at properties you will see the size of the picture and this will give a guide to its size (448 x 336 pixels, 52kb)

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:16 pm

alls good goldrocs!! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Laughing Goldrocs all's cool mate cheers

Back to top Go down