Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields? Empty Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields?

Post  Shinegold Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Not long ago, I had purchased an Infinium for beach detecting and it's good at that. I know it's not the most popular for gold prospecting, I just want to get an idea as to what it's like and how it compares to any other detector. Now before you say anything, I have used search functions in a lot of gold prospecting forums, but most descriptions seem to be of faulty or old Infiniums, before any upgrades etc. Mine isn't faulty so it would be interesting to know how a working Infinium compares and performes in the fields.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields? Empty Re: Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 am

The infinium would be good in the goldfields,
after digging a big hole on a signal you get with a minelab you could
use the infinium as a pin pointer Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields? Empty Re: Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25 am

Had one a couple of years back and one day a mate buried a small target a few inches down and his Extreme screamed on it and with the Infinium I could not hear it. The next week the Infinium was gone and I had a minelab. You will find gold with the Infinium but it will not pick up small gold or go as deep as a minelab. The minelab has a huge range of coils and aftermarket products and the Infinium does not. The standard coil on the Infinium weighs a ton and the main shaft is too weak and as a gold detector it is not in the same class as a Minelab.
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am

They are not good. They are noisy and it gets worse as the ground does. Better than nothing though and I owuld prefer to be out there with an Infinium than nothing but Minelab PIs walk all over them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 pm

That's ok, I use it at the beach and it seems to be good there. I read somewhere that they are good on bigger targets since the pulse rate is different, dunno. If I ever get back to the goldfields, I won't go with anything older than a 3000, at least the Infinium will be a good backup. Anyone tested these on large targets?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Anyone here used an Infinium in the goldfields? Empty Comparisons

Post  Gold1 Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:48 pm

I have both an infinium and an minelab GPX 4500 . I use both only for gold .
Here are some comparisons . I have found very small and bigger gold with both machines . There is a belief out there that infiniums are not good on small gold . Thats not my experience . The infinium has a much slower swing speed than the minelab which may account for this . The minelab has a host of larger coils to choose from . The infinium does not have any larger than an 11 x14 .
Nugget tests can be very misleading with the infinium . Often it will NOT register a shallow test nugget you bury . I have witnessed this myself . A freshly buried nugget apparently has no haylow effect that an undisturbed piece of gold has . However the minelab has no issue here at all , where the infinium does . The only way to test the infinium accurately is on an original undisturbed target .
I have taken the minelab to an area of both EMI and high mineralisation , previously visited by the infinium . I've had to work hard with the minelab to get it to run as quiet as the infinium here . Yes that was surprising .
I can often work right underneath the mother of all power line towers with the infinium , yes those big suckers with the huge cables without having to touch the infinium ,where again, I have had to work to get the 4500 to run anything like that quiet . again somewhat surprised .
The infinium is definitely heavier at the end of the day especially , but its waterproof . I can take it up creeks and continue detecting in heavy rain when I'd be running for cover with the big buck minelab . If there is gold underwater I can dive with it in a river .
The minelab runs an external speaker which I love . The infinium does not .
Hopefully the minelab will find a truck load more gold cos it cost a truck load more. ..But the infinium is not far behind on the gold talley. Ultimately the biggest differences are not with machines but with users and their level of experience .
Hope this helps .

Last edited by Gold1 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Gold1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down