Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground

Go down

14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground Empty 14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground

Post  mickb Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 pm

looking to buy this coil mainly for salt lake work (which i have done very little of) but i have heard the AI coils can be very good on highly mineralised ground, i have a few gold patches on very noisy ground that would be well worth another going over
i have a GPX4500 detector
has anyboday any feed back or advice on the AI coils?? before i commit to buy one
kind regards
Mick
mickb
mickb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground Empty Re: 14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:42 am

G'day Mick

The Anti-interference coils are a great coil & everybody should have at least
one in their gear, they originaly where named "Salt" coils but as they are also very useful
at cancelling out interference from electrical EMI the name was changed to Anti-interference.

The sensetivity of these coils is appx half way between a DD & Mono and you can also use the discrimination
on your detector should you want to (Not advised).

However they do not handle the highly mineralised ground as good as a DD coil but with your 4500
you should be able to handle that type of ground even using a Mono coil with the right settings used.
I would advise you to use a Mono coil in high mineral areas rather than a DD as the sens and depth will
be severely cut back using a DD coil to quieten the detector down, the same applies to using "cancel" mode
instead of an anti-interference coil on salt lakes and under power lines, we dont ever really want to use
cancel mode and should only use it as a last bitter resort.

The 14" round and the 17"x11" Elliptical are the two most popular sizes used but the little 11" is very
good for tight scrubby and rocky areas...

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground Empty Re: 14"coiltek anti interference coil for salt and high mineralised ground

Post  mickb Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 pm

thanks for the reply and valuble info Pete

I currently use a 12" NF mono nearly all the time its my favorite coil and on the 4500 its an awesome setup for highly mineralized ground
but i have done no salt work at all and while thinking of buying this coil for salt work i thought it may be another good option/back up for the high mineralized ground, but from what you are saying the AI coil would be better purchased for use only on salt

regards
mick
mickb
mickb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  mickb Tue May 10, 2011 7:14 pm

ok i have ordered my 14" AI coil and gonna try it out 1st week in june
can anyone suggest any settings to use on my GPX4500 using this coil on salt lakes
any tips for salt lake detecting would also be humbly received
thanks in advance

kind regards
mick
mickb
mickb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 pm

G'day Mick

Mate you just need to run the Coiltek Ai coils as if running a normal DD coil.. you can get the gain up around
11-12 on them and run them in Deep mode also set the stabilizer to around 8 or so for smooth operation.
there is only one main thing you can do wrong and that is to NOT RUN IN DD mode..
if this is not done the coil will go absolutely spazzo on the lakes and around areas of heavy EMI...

Good luck on the lakes and shorelines of them and any soakage areas close to lakes also.
Have a look at this vid on the coiltek Ai coils on salt areas too

http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/coiltek-ai-coils.html

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  mickb Fri May 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks pete

will let you know how i get on early june

kind regards

mick
mickb
mickb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  mickb Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 pm

hi all
been detecting on a salt lake for a few days
i found no gold but a friend found a small nugget
the salt coil ran quiet as a mouse even with the gain cranked up to 14
the lake was quite dry and not boggy
i did a lot of testing on a buried nugget, a 1/2 gramer at 80mm deep(3")
and found that sens smooth was less noisey than salt course and was very little differnce in signal sound
for anyone thats interested these are the settings that i found best on my GPX 4500
diffent salt lakes will vary

vol limit 11
GB type in general
special timings in sens smooth
man tune 100
motion slow
gain 14
audio normal
stabilzer 6
signal 13
target vol 14
tracking slow