Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ross river has hit

+7
U308
TheH0ward
dannyvic
vasilis
Alan WA
gef50
gibbs
11 posters

Go down

ross river has hit Empty ross river has hit

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:20 pm

well a member off the forum dannyvic has just gone up to the hossie as he most likley has ross river. we were out detecting and was saying that he had sore leggs and all that. i went up to see him tonight to see how he was and then i had a funny feeling he had it. so off to get checked out to see .... the nurse on line said that it sounds mostly he does.... get better soon mate.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

ross river has hit Empty Re: ross river has hit

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 pm

With some people the Ross River virus can affect a person for many years, tiredness, swollen limbs and joints and rashes. It effects everyone differently. With this sort of weather on the entire east coast ross river is now being found in mossies in northern areas of NSW also.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 pm

it's getting around alot at the moment. a few people in town have had it or have it now. i'v been covering up pretty well with jackets and hate ect it don't matter how hot i get...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  gibbs Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 am

Thats bad news, hope he copes well with it. As said Ross River can be completely horrible for some but others cope ok with it.

I was getting terribly eaten the other night so i called it quites. Skeetas are everywhere in the WA goldies also, although last i smashed on the troppo strength and they stayed away.

gibbs (still goldless)

gibbs
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 am

they have gone mad this year bloody things. i'll see how he is doing today. they have been attacking me even when i have used aerogaurd but as they say swetting don't help so you should just spray your cloths.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:27 am

Hope he recovers quickly stoppsy.
I thought that mineshafts were the only hazzard in the goldfields, but them mozzies are becoming a bit of a worry nowdays. I always use a insect spray, but keep wondering what all these chemicals are going to do to me? I don't get any reaction to mozzie bites (no lumps or itches) just the annoying buzzing and that they are stealing my blood Mad

Might have to start using my anti mozzie iPhone application Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:41 am

I think I might just stay indoors.

Reprinted courtesy of the University of Sydney's Department of Entomology

"Mosquito-borne diseases in Australia
Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes in Australia include Dengue fever, Australian encephalitis, Ross River virus disease and Barmah Forerst virus disease. Dengue is the most important viral disease transmitted by mosquitoes afflicting humans in a world context. Clinical symptoms range from mild fevers, to a severe and potentially life threatening haemorrhagic disease. In Australia, Dengue fever is restricted to Quensland where the major vector Aedes aegypti occurs. "Australian encephalitis" (AE), or "Murray Valley encephalitis" are synonyms for a clinical syndrome caused by infection with Murray Valley encephalitis virus or Kunjin virus. Symptoms are variable, from mild to severe with permanent impaired neurological functions, to sometimes fatal. Cases of AE occur sporadically in northern Australia and especially in the northwest of WA, but there have been no cases of MVE recorded in southeastern Australia since 1974. Ross River (RR) and Barmah Forest (BF) disease have been collectively known as "Epidemic Polyarthritis", however the two diseases have a slightly different clinical picture. A wide variety of symptoms may occur from rashes with fevers, to arthritis that can last from months to years with RR virus infection. RR disease is the most commonly reported mosquito transmitted disease to humans (over 6,500 cases in 1997) and occurs in all states of Australia. There are occassional local epidemics with hundreds to thousands of infections, with many going unreported. BF disease occurs in most states of Australia, although the annual number of cases are around 1/10th that of RR disease. A series of outbreaks during the early 1990's has highlighted the increasing importance of BF disease. Malaria in Australia has been endemic, but was declared eradicated from the country in 1981. However, approximately 700-800 cases are imported annually from travellers infected elsewhere."
Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:47 am

hey FB, i was the same i never use to lump up or anything like that but these days it's changed i lump up and itch something bad. You never know what these sprays can do to you in the long run..
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 am

Goldnomad thanks for that info.... bugger staying inside i'll take my chance and keep detecting as i'm headding out today.... i'll just stay keep on my jacket and that just to keep then away from my arms and back.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 am

Had this about 6 years ago . .. a combo of Ross River and Bama Forrest .. quite bad ..and was parallised for a couple of days .. it started at my elbows and went down to my knee joints .. as soon as I moved anything all the pain was localised to my knee joints. I would not wish it on anyone.
stay healthy and cover up when outdoors.
gef50
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 am

you poor bugger gef50 it sounds bad, dannyvic had pain in his arm the other week and now it's down his legs that's what made me think he had it.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 pm

My wife and I both got a few years ago.
Was painfull in the mornings but got better as the day went on.

The way we found out is my wife had severe pain in a wrist so she
went to the Dr. Carpel tunnel was diagnosed and arrangements started for surgery.
She also had a swollen ankle that wasn't causing problems but luckily she mentioned
it to the Dr so she took blood samples.
A week or so later it came back RRV.

Very close to an un-necessary operation!!!

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 pm

sad to hear about all who get the bug from mozzies. I also had something when living in Darwin and it knocked me for 3 months.
Since then I have it against the mozzie so I will plug at my new import of the Mozzie Swatter. It takes 2 AA batteries.
Practice your tennis swing and swipe all the mozzies off your back. let me know if you want to buy one or bulk for retail. cheers.
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

ross river has hit Empty ROSS RIVER HAS HIT

Post  dannyvic Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi all well i went to the docs today again they think it may be RRV i am going for all the bloods tommorow testing for everything,,i'll keep you all posted..................

Thanks for all the concerns Danny
dannyvic
dannyvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:09 pm

get well soon danny flower
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Something that is well worth the time to look into is the many case's of Ross River Virus which have been cured ( Yes cured!! you read that right) The cure is......The exciting electric fence!! all one has to do is grab hold of it.

Have a look into it, ask Google.

If you delve deep enough you will also find info in Medical Journals. study

Edit: Before one goes out grabbing hold of the nearest electric fence, have a talk to the doc just to make sure the system will be able to handle it..............Make no mistake a cattle electric fence will give you a kick you won't forget in a hurry!!

On a wet day whilst walking next to a electric fence the spark jumped an inch from the fence onto my leg and left a bruise with the circumference of two inches Shocked
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

ross river has hit Empty re ross river

Post  goldrocs Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Was in cardwell with the NSWSES last week heaps of mossies
got bitten a few times as you could not keep mossie replent on
beacuse of the heat as you sweat that much,how have a two day
wait to find out if i've got it.....hope not... Rolling Eyes
goldrocs
goldrocs
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

try riding a quad along a fence with your hand jammed between the handle bar of the bike and the electric wire and there aint sh#t you can do about it till you gather your senses, try ignore the pain and turn the bike in the opposite direction. Well, im sure the cows were laughing that day!
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 pm

lol the way my dogs react when they get a hit off the fence, aint no way I am going to grab it. Owooooo

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 pm

lol! a friend and me went bush bashing and he need to do a p#ss stop. he jusmped out and stood near the fence and the next thing i know he's on the ground... i went up to see if he was okay and all i could get out off him was i just got a big shock off the fence... i dropped tothe ground laughing as i seen it was a electric fence... poor bugger
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

ross river has hit Empty Rare virus being spread through mosquitoes

Post  shelby23 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am

Latest News

RESIDENTS in southern New South Wales have been urged to take extra precautions against mosquitoes after a rare and potentially fatal virus was detected near the Victorian border.

Murray Valley Encephalitis (MVE) virus has been detected in chickens in the Victorian towns of Mildura, Robinvale, Kerang and Barmah, but also in Tooleybuc in NSW, near Swan Hill.

NSW Health Protection acting director Dr Michael Staff says it's a timely reminder for all people to cover up and avoid mosquito bites.

"While Murray Valley Encephalitis or MVE is rare, and most people will not develop symptoms, it is still a serious mosquito-borne disease that can lead to permanent brain damage and may be fatal in severe cases," Dr Staff said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rare-virus-being-spread-through-mosquitoes/story-e6frfku0-1226010513238#ixzz1EjGeJtS0

A DEADLY mosquito-borne disease has been detected in north and northwestern Victoria.
The outbreak of Murray Valley encephalitis virus has prompted health officials to warn people in Mildura and Kerang to avoid mosquito bites.

The virus has been detected in chickens, which were placed in the area as a monitor for the disease.

Barmah and Tooleybuc just over the NSW border have also been place on alert.

Murray Valley encephalitis killed at least nine people after it spread across southeastern Australia in 1974.

It broke out again in Kerang in March 2008.

Chief health officer John Carnie said no case of the disease had been detected in humans.

Symptoms of the disease include severe headache, high fever, drowsiness, tremors and seizures.

Flocks of chickens were placed at 13 locations around the Murray River and other parts of regional Victoria after the 1974 outbreak as an early warning system.

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

ross river has hit Empty rrv

Post  bobsreturn Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:28 pm

try some bowen therapy had it every 3 days and 3 treatments and was almost gone , could have been coincidence , but believe it worked for me , docs said keep taking the panadol but it dont agree with me , cheers Bob

bobsreturn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

ross river has hit Empty It can always get WORSE!

Post  Axeman Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 pm

There are four variants of Ross River virus, I know this because I have managed to get all four. To put the icing on the cake I thought Barmah Forrest Virus would be fun as well. I am living proof that you can get all 4 of the Ross River variants inside Brisbane city limits . The Barmah Forrest is a special kind of stupid, went camping for 2 weeks and didnt bother with insect screen. Live and learn I suppose. As for symptoms I have had them all and a few others, also the bad news is that after getting a full set of these they can come back and if you are one in about 100 000 people ( like me ) you can suffer full blow attacks several times over the past 5 years ( so far ). I apparently still have active virus in my blood test samples, so no giving blood for me ( or traveling to some countries ). The good news is that even though the symptoms can return, normally they are not as severe as the first attack was. You get used to it ( the pain ) eventually and there are quite effective medications designed for arthritus that do seem to work. Its not a death sentence as some doctors would have you believe, you can function just fine especially in summer. Just remember to keep your legs very warm in cold weather as it seems to take ages to warm up and get moving otherwise. You might also have real problems kneelng for any amount of time. Oh thats right. Dont forget the insect spray. Be safe guys and good luck. cheers
Axeman
Axeman
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-09-05

Back to top Go down