Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

updating to a 4500

4 posters

Go down

updating to a 4500 Empty updating to a 4500

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 pm

The time has come to update my 3500. It still works well, but I think the time has come to invest in a newer model.
I reckon I will keep my 3500 as a spare, so I will buy the new unit without trading in my old 3500.

I am curious about the pro's and con's of buying a secondhand 4500. Is there likely to be much difference in individual units? Is it better to purchase thru a dealer, or purchase direct off a owner who knows "his" machine?

I am even thinking about getting a 5000, but am not sure if going straight from a 3500 to a 5000 would be a wise choice (maybe use a 4500 for 12 months and then upgrade??).

Any suggestions appreciated................

Fishberley.

Back to top Go down

updating to a 4500 Empty Re: updating to a 4500

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

your going to upgrade affraid i never thought you would off. well you did say you'll keep the 3500. me a goldstakerGPX were talking about your 3500 and how you'll never get rid off it.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:52 pm

yeah, my 3500 is too good to trade in. But I keep thinking its time to get something a bit newer. Just not sure if all secondhand 4500 operate with the same sensitivity and performance. Maybe I should bite the bullet and go for a 5000.

Fishberley.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm

go on, bite the bullet, lol. So how does the 3500 go getting nuggets? Good success rate?
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  maarit Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi, I have heard that 5000 is really good finding bullets........so you can bite as many as you like. No shortage of them Very Happy Very Happy
and when you like to find gold again go back to your 3500 Wink Wink

maarit
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm

I have been very happy with my 3500. It seems very sensitive to small gold (less than 0.1gm) and it has paid for itself several times over. I have been lucky enough to find a few bigger pieces with it too, but I just keep thinking a newer machine will help me find more (maybe this is just wishful thinking). Starting to think now is the time to spend some money I don't have Laughing

fishberley.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

yeah im in the same frame of mind. but im trying to toss up between a 4500 or a boat motor, lol
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi fishberley

there is nothing wrong with a second hand 4500 as long as you buy it from someone you know or a reputable dealer. Too many fakes out there. I bought mine from Coiltek Maryborough and they allowed me to take it out for the day and test it on the Goldfields before I bought it, that way you know what you are getting. Yes there is a difference between units ,some are better than others, sometimes marginally some a lot, but this goes for the 5000's as well. Either way they are both good machines and will find an improvement over your 3500 especially in hot ground.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:17 am

Gday

After a couple of seasons operating the 3500 I had it sussed and had worked out the best coils for it, then out came the 4000 and after doing some homework on it I had doubts that it was worth my while upgrading to one, then as a couple of mates had bought them I got to use and see them operate in the field, they didnt do any better than I did with the 3500 and in some areas I did better than they did, so this sort of confirmed my susupicions that it was not as good as it was cracked up to be.

It could have simply have been that they were having trouble getting their heads around the new on screen menu system, but anyway a couple of these blokes went back to their 3500's and 3000's and said that they felt they were better.

Anyway out came the 4500 and on researching it I soon realised that this was something completely new, and I could immediatley see the benefits of the "enhance settings" this feature alone has distanced this machine above everything else, and has proven itself to me time and time again over old patches and really worked ground to be an excellent feature, I have puposely targetted spots that I have worked to the last squeek with all my previous machines and with the 4500 I have consistantly pulled out many many ounces of gold that I have missed with everything else.

As yet I wont upgrade to the 5000 as I am not that confident in its being a whole lot better than the 4500, one of the main reasons is that there has not been the sort of feedback that came in very soon after the realease of the 4500, this is probably more likely due to the late season release,and weather problems that have prevented many people getting out and using them, also there was a substantial drop in the trade in and sale value of the 4500 which didnt help as upgrading meant you had to find a couple of thousand more dollars, the price of which has now risen a bit, and the price of the 5000 has come down since a few second hand ones are available now.

All I can say is dont waste your time wondering if you should upgrade to the 4500 from any ealier model, just do it, you will be glad that you did it in the long run, but make sure that you get your hands on a copy of JP's gpx factor dvd's as it will really help you to understand all the settings and features.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks for your thoughts stayyerAU, I think you just helped me make the decision to get a 4500 (I think) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:22 am

I check Ebay every day and GPX4500 $4000
No one is bidding on any that are over this price
You can check for your self there is 4 on there now no bids it has been like that for weeks.
I paid $4000 for mine and its great

Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Had a major brain fart today and ended up buying a 5000. Went out for an afternoon tryout and got 2 small bits. Must say that I'm impressed with the sensitivity (so far). Will give it a real go on Monday and see how it performs on ground previously flogged with my 3500.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 pm

good on ya fishberley, you do have to spend money to make money lol! well now you can realy test it out when you hit that gound were you have been with the 3500. tell us how you go with it when you get back or even drop in, that's if you are passing throw this way champ...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down