Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sd 2000 What size target?

3 posters

Go down

Sd 2000 What size target? Empty Sd 2000 What size target?

Post  carr-ee Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 am

G'day guys i seem to have a terrible problem,and i don't know weather it is my sd 2000 or me, recently i was out with a mate of mine detecting and i was having trouble grounding it in,so he gave me a usb plastic holder with a piece of lead in it, 5mmx3mm now my 2000 wouldn't pick it up but his 2100 did, but the 2100 had an eight inch oliptical coil on and it picked it up 3" of the ground. i also had alot of ground noise coming through all the time so i moved the toroid back on the wires as per instructoins from an internet download, this seemed to get rid of the ground noise but i'm still wondering weather my 2000 is not picking up gold or is the lead target too small? i don't mind spending the money sending it to minelab for a serice if thats what it needs,but i have already spent $70 on a new battery that wasnt needed. so if anyone has any imformation that might help me iron out this problem i would be most gratefull. thanks muchly carr-ee

carr-ee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Sd 2000 What size target? Empty Re: Sd 2000 What size target?

Post  Scratchin4nuggets Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Gday Carr-ee,
I would be getting a newer coil and a 7.2 voltage regulator if you intend to hang on to the SD 2000.
Otherwise up date to the GP extreme and save yourself the hassell of constant ground balancing and extra hot ground.I know places where i couldnt even ground balance my old 2000 but the GP purrs like a tiger over it.
Cool

Last edited by Scratchin4nuggets on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scratchin4nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Sd 2000 What size target? Empty Re: Sd 2000 What size target?

Post  Wantmoregold Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Carr-ee if your SD2000 has not been modified than it would not match a SD2100 on a small target. I had a similar experience to you when I met a fellow out bush with a 2100 who displayed its sensitivity advantage on a small nugget over my 2000, although I was using a 11"DD and he an 8"mono. The way that 2100 hit on the small nugget sure impressed me at the time and he said the best thing I could do was get a frequency mod done by Barrie Johnson. As I remember back then I noticed BJ's add in a G&G magazine for SD2000 modifications as a Mod 1 (internal audio boost) and a Mod 2 (4 Position Frequency Switch) or have both done. Due to my finances at the time I ended only going for Mod 1 which definitely lifted the response to small targets but I expect not to the degree if I had Mod 2 included as well. Again as you have I also moved the toroid ring on the wires which I believe helped smooth out my 2000. I still have and use my old 2000 which when running on it's 6 volt system purrs along nicely for me over hot ground with both mono and DD coils.

There is plenty of advice on the net for further modifications to the 2000 that should match a GP on both small and large targets with some saying a certain mod makes a 2000 the king for overall depth on a large target.

BTW what coil did you have on your 2000 at the time of your test? WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Sd 2000 What size target? Empty sd 2000 what size target?

Post  carr-ee Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 pm

thanks Adam and GTW for your reply's they were extremely helpfull! i'm currently reading a piece by jack lange which is very informative reading also. thanks again carr-ee.

carr-ee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down