Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting Creeks

4 posters

Go down

Detecting Creeks Empty Detecting Creeks

Post  TheGoldenChild Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi All

Last trip to the Golden Triangle I met up with a mate of mine who is the local gold expert in that area. Whilst detecting with him on a nice looking hill slope he pointed to a creek about 300 metres further down.
He told me an old timer and mate of his had specked a 2.5 ouncer out of that creek a couple of years ago.
I can understand how Fine Gold and small nuggets end up in a creek and get moved around by water but a 2.5 ouncer? The weight of the nugget makes it hard to believe it can be pushed into a creek from a reef by mother nature. Am I missing something here?
I usually detect slopes and gullies and leave creeks for the Pan but in case I do end up having a bit of a go in this creek with the 4500 in the future what setup is the best eg coil, settings? Tips on detecting creeks from those that have done it would be greatly appreciated.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Detecting Creeks Empty Re: Detecting Creeks

Post  shelby23 Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi anyone From the disaster Toowoomba Queensland will tell you about the power of a flash flood down a creek.
I am still in shock from the whole thing

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 pm

it is unreal how far gold can get pushed by a good rain. a friend found a 7.3 gramer in a creek that was a few 100 meters from a hill. once the dirt and that start to mover with the water the gold would get pushed along with it.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Golden child

Water is natures bulldozer and it's amazing just what it can do, once it reaches the right volume on a slope it will start to cut into the surface at a low point, then it will gradually erode that point thereby increasing the volume and force of the water.With the right amount of rain (such as recently) a 2.5 ouncer would be swept down the slope/gutter easily, always assuming it was there in the first place. Another reason for a 2.5 ouncer in the creek could be that it was there all the time,"gold is where it is" as the saying goes.
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:36 pm

thanks for the reply guys. Might have a go in it next time I am out that way.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 pm

The muddier the water the higher specific gravity of the water, the easier for water to move heavier objects such gold.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down