Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch

5 posters

Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch

Post  evan2010 21st January 2011, 6:46 pm

Gday everyone, Last year I found several patches here in Wa and gleamed as much as I could off them before I left. Trouble is I was experiencing problems with my 4500's Lcd screen and as such was pretty much stuck with the settings i'd had running when the problem started. I was also without a Large coil that i coud use to check for anything deeper than my 14x9 and 16" coils could hear. Now that my 4500 is fixed Im planning on a revisit to the areas and So my query is, how would you approach such areas with all menu options now available and an 18" NF Advantage plus 17" elliptical to use. Any ideas??
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty Re: Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch

Post  Guest 21st January 2011, 7:38 pm

evan2010 wrote:Gday everyone, Last year I found several patches here in Wa and gleamed as much as I could off them before I left. Trouble is I was experiencing problems with my 4500's Lcd screen and as such was pretty much stuck with the settings i'd had running when the problem started. I was also without a Large coil that i coud use to check for anything deeper than my 14x9 and 16" coils could hear. Now that my 4500 is fixed Im planning on a revisit to the areas and So my query is, how would you approach such areas with all menu options now available and an 18" NF Advantage plus 17" elliptical to use. Any ideas??

Veeerwy caerfuwey gwasshopper...veeerwy caerfuwey Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty Re: Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch

Post  gibbs 21st January 2011, 7:42 pm

hahahaha i love this dude!! lol!

I have a tip for ya, invite me Very Happy

gibbs
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX 21st January 2011, 8:00 pm

G'day Evan, I read with interest your posts while you were out there, glad that you have you lcd sorted out and are ready for some serious detecting.
Other than carefully gridding the known area's that you were successful in two different directions, my suggestion would be to start your settings in the setting you were using (you know they work for that area) and tweeking every little bit out of your machine.
Try different timings once you have found a target and experiment on that before you dig it to see what gives you the best results, this will be the best way I feel as you will be learning in the ground that you will be detecting on. If all else fails start back at FP and go again.
Swing low & slow and listen for the very faint changes in threshold, investigate the murmours that may not just be ground noise. Good advice from A'ss.

Wish you all the best mate and look forward to seeing the monsters that you missed the first time.

Cheers Adrian.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty Tips and Ideas

Post  evan2010 23rd January 2011, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the encouraging comments Adrian (GoldstalkerGPX).
It was a bit frustrating not being able to try different settings and timings over targets as I'm sure I could've squeezed a few more pieces from some of the areas I detected had I been able to up the Gain a little and play with all of the menu settings.
I've a got a hunch that there may be some bigger lumps deeper into the caprock than my 16" coil could "hear" because the 104g slug that my mate Mal got produced a signal that was very faint and our first thoughts were "ground noise" until He'd got down a few inches and the signal strength increased. None of us had a larger coil in our possession so I had to leave that area wondering what could still be in there. affraid
A poster on another Forum suggested I try Bogenes settings, Has anybody here experimented with with them?? Also Sens Xtra may be worth a try also, what do ya's reckon??
Opinions..... JP, Nero, Granite,Tuna or anyone else?? Cheers Evan cheers
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa 23rd January 2011, 4:15 pm

Gday Evan
I too watched your forum posts with interest, as I do all my prospecting in the Murchison/East Murchison.
I'm guessing you were running in Enhance? Sensitive Extra will definitely get you a heap more bits off your patch Very Happy . Reworking with a larger coil and using gridding techniques, should cure your curiosity about bigger, deeper bits there. Before I started gridding with a bigger coil though, I'd give the patch a good reworkover with your same coil but in Sensitive Extra, just to highlight what was missed in Enhance. It may be that the ground is too noisy for Sensitive Extra??
Hope you get a truckload more out of there.
May seed you out Sandstone way one day.
cheers
Brett

PS just noticed you're online - want to jump on the chat room and have a yarn??
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric 23rd January 2011, 5:12 pm

Saerch for bogene here http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX 23rd January 2011, 5:58 pm

I have tried bogene's settings and experimented on undug targets and have found responses not as sharp, I have tried this with the coin machine as well and the descrimination seems to work better but they are not for me.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty re tips and ideas

Post  evan2010 25th January 2011, 4:07 pm

Gday all, sorry for not answering Mulgadansa, Im on a shared pc and dont much time on the net so couldnt stay and chat.
GoldstalkerGPX thanks for your input on bogenes settings, I have read up on them a bit and I doubt I could bring myself to spend hours detecting with those settings knowing Im potentially missing good targets. Neutral
Cheers Evan
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty tips and ideas wanted...

Post  evan2010 13th February 2011, 10:04 pm

Just a thought... I Will be up that way come June til end of Sep so any of you guys passing thru drop me a PM and maybe we can catch up for a chat etc, cheers
Cheers Evan
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa 14th February 2011, 12:07 pm

Gday Evan
I'll definitely be there sometime this winter. I'd generally do half a dozen trips out that way. I'll try and catch up.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Tips and Ideas wanted on reworking a Patch Empty re tips and ideas

Post  evan2010 14th February 2011, 7:46 pm

No worries Brett, I tend to travel into town atleast every week to stock up on perishables, beer etc plus get some clothes washed at the van park. Hopefully we can catch up 4 a chat and even do some detecting
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down