Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stabiliser function?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

stabiliser function? - Page 2 Empty Re: stabiliser function?

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 pm

TheGoldenChild wrote:Hi Goldnomad

heading to Dunolly this weekend. The creek you mentioned I presume is Burnt creek which is the way we get in from Maryborough. How bad is it? Can a 4WD cross it or is the road totally closed?
Hope it doesnt get any worse for you being so close but they have predicted more rain today

Getting off topic here guys, have a look at http://mobiletraffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/floodalerts for road closures.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

So answer me this? Just because I can, does that mean I should? lol! Now you know you can, you learned something from it. Razz

........so long as you understand the possible ramifications and don't bleat its Minelab fault they made it possible to use a combination of settings that can impact on outright detector performance.
Id say by now those who push the boundaries, are well aware they are moving out of the safe zone.
In other words, they are wanting to take their nappies off. affraid
This is not a bad thing, Bogene took his nappy off and found settings that worked for him and made them available to others.
I took my nappy off when i found on the 4500 that boost was not the same as it was on the older models, and can be used year round. Not a new discovery by no means, but a new one to me when i discovered it, at that time, i new no one who was using it and could find no posts of others who were for there feedback.
Combine that with a few other settings and you have a whole new detecting experience. By using boost, it is one less filter being used to dumb down the detector. Having said that!!! you may overstep the fine line with the use of the other filters, user beware.
When you put all these combination to work, you have learned something.

Anyway "in moderation" is just my opinion and as we all know opinions are like backsides, we all have one,
I dont believe its just an opinion mate, i believe you can see more than many of us can and knowing the ramifications, voice your concern, and for that we are truly thankful and would certainly run a muck without being pulled up on some things as to why. scratch . As i said above in one of my other posts, i feel its a good subject with much that can be learned, myself included. However, there is not enough talk on the various functions of the detectors settings when combined with other settings that are not of the norm.

As for my old patches, well i have learned Rolling Eyes..... for my new patches, iv learned from my old patches. lol! As for my favorite spots, they are everyone's favorite spots.....now. Laughing

JP, now for some real Narrawa tongue in cheek Razz When you and i go detecting on one of your patches, any gold i find i will hand over to you no questions asked. Shocked
When you and i go out on one of my patches, any gold you find you can keep, no questions asked. scratch
lol!

PS. Robert mentions the use of the thresh, that discussion should have a thread of its own, because there is much that can be learned from its questions alone.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 pm

can minelab just bring out a detector with one button ( the on/off switch) and the detector does the rest itself ha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 pm

TheGoldenChild wrote:Hi Goldnomad

heading to Dunolly this weekend. The creek you mentioned I presume is Burnt creek which is the way we get in from Maryborough. How bad is it? Can a 4WD cross it or is the road totally closed?
Hope it doesnt get any worse for you being so close but they have predicted more rain today

From Vicroads http://mobiletraffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/floodalerts

Maryborough-Dunnolly Road - Closed at Bet Bet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:44 pm

The stabilizer
raises or lowers the floor of the threshold to allow more or less
information through, higher numbers lowers the floor allowing more info
(plus more instability once you go past the FP point) and lower numbers
raises the floor allowing less info through. Generally speaking higher Stabilizer
numbers works better for smaller shallow gold, lower numbers help
quieten or smooth out the threshold when listening for larger deeper
gold. I rarely go below 8 on the Stabilizer when using coils larger than 16" and have never felt the need to go above the FP of 10 on the smaller stuff.

If
using a Mono coil in the environment you describe then the Quiet Audio
filter might have helped rather than having to back off everything else
(Gain, Stabilizer, Motion etc) or you can revert to a DD coil and detect in cancel mode.

Hope this helps,
Thks for the link GPX to JP post about the stabilizer, have been busy at work the last 4 days no forum time.
The stabilizer
raises or lowers the floor of the threshold
this makes a lot of sense,by turning down the stabilizer to quieten the detector unlike the manual threshold adjustment you would be unlikely to know what your threshold floor really is Shocked .
As the threshold volume will not increase nor decrease in volume using the stabilizer, this is unlike the threshold volume (front end cap) because if you increase it or decrease it is noticeable.

Very interesting, so as the manual states the stabilizer is the last thing that is set after all others so realistically only a minor adjustment should be required not down to 2,3 or 4.

As MT and i often meet up it is interesting to see he uses a stabilizer setting of 5+ me I'm always below this, last time away he score some small stuff and i then had a wander over and scored nothing but some nice grd noises.
He went back and then scored a few more all small but i had thought id had a good go over the area (obviously not).
Another instance was with a bird shot target at 8" at factory (mentioned in another thread here) it was fairly obvious at a setting of 2 if i hadn't marked the spot i would have missed it.
MT picked it up fairly clear and it now makes sense he was running a higher stabilizer setting.
I think after reading some of the info here and reflecting back I will revert back to a higher stabilizer number in future.

Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 pm

freshwater wrote:
raises or lowers the floor of the threshold
freshwater wrote:this makes a lot of sense,by turning down the stabilizer to quieten the detector unlike the manual threshold adjustment you would be unlikely to know what your threshold floor really is Shocked .
As the threshold volume will not increase nor decrease in volume using the stabilizer, this is unlike the threshold volume (front end cap) because if you increase it or decrease it is noticeable.
Enhances the reason for running a very low thresh if you chose to run low stab numbers...again, its a combination of settings, not one setting on its own.
If you lower your stabilizer you should lower your thresh. You have turned down the squelch effect so that minor fluctuations break through, just like that of the old CB radio. If the station to whom your listening is just above the hash level, you can silence the hash till he speaks. Same with the detector, obvious targets will break through the thresh, but the hash (sherics and ground noise ) level is now reduced.
If you run a high level of thresh, the floor wont be reached on the subtle targets. Subtle targets repeat, spherics dont.
freshwater wrote:
Very interesting, so as the manual states the stabilizer is the last thing that is set after all others so realistically only a minor adjustment should be required not down to 2,3 or 4.
Why not? i and others have found gold with a stabilizer setting lower then FP?? and i often use a 2.
Ask yourself this question, how long was the 4500 tested before its release? ( no disrespect to any testers intended )
FP is brilliant no argument there, but is it possible that the end user may find after 2 yrs of using it ...other combination's that work that are not written in the manual???
Im sure i heard Phil Beck say that the prospector will learn more about this detector then we (ML) will. correct me if im wrong.
freshwater wrote:
As MT and i often meet up it is interesting to see he uses a stabilizer setting of 5+ me I'm always below this, last time away he score some small stuff and i then had a wander over and scored nothing but some nice grd noises.
He went back and then scored a few more all small but i had thought id had a good go over the area (obviously not).
Unless you walked in his exact footsteps your not telling us anything new here. You said he went back and scored some more, do you think it was purely because of his stabilizer setting??
It could be that he was using a more refined detector, i hear the 5000 has better stability/quieter thresh?? A renewed confidence boost will come when you walk back into the middle of that patch and find a nugget he missed. scratch Laughing After all..he did?
freshwater wrote:
I think after reading some of the info here and reflecting back I will revert back to a higher stabilizer number in future.
This food for thought was not aimed at you John, but at the way many of us think. FP settings are brilliant and we'd be stuffed without them not having some sort of benchmark to compare with, but they can be improved on and they can be altered to better suit the ground your working. Just like our way of thinking can when we are out there. Wink

Last edited by Narrawa on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : many spello's lol)
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2