Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best coin/relic detector under 1k

+5
Scrubhen
skysite
Carms
charliec
Curley
9 posters

Go down

Best coin/relic detector under 1k Empty Best coin/relic detector under 1k

Post  Curley Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi all. As Santa didnt visit me last year I thought I would treat myself to a new/2nd hand coin/relic detector. The old Minelab Sterling bought new in about 1994 has all but died and I have been toying for awhile in the idea of a replacement.
What better place to seek advice than here? Any ideas? I can buy a 2nd hand Etrac fo $900 or something newer cheaper.

I only have one day only before I drive past a dealers door so any advice would be highly appreciated. Going on hols to the beach so its a great time to learn how to drive it.
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Best coin/relic detector under 1k Empty best coin/relic detector under 1k

Post  charliec Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:06 pm

HI CURLEY ,
I use the Minelab souverin GT on the beach and find it very good . It's easy to use , knobs & switches not digital .
Good luck.

CHEERS

charliec
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down

Best coin/relic detector under 1k Empty Re: Best coin/relic detector under 1k

Post  Carms Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:41 am

Curley

I agree with Charliec , sus out the Minelab Sovereign GT, we got one for Xmas and its working very well on our local beaches, relatively easy to use being knobs and switches.
Whilst ours is new you may be able to pick up a secondhand unit in your price range

regards
carms

Carms
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:50 am

Hey curly
I have the xterra 705 and think it is a great coin & relic detector although I have not used it on the beach it has a beach function and would highly recommend it I've seen them going for around $1000 well worth the money.....
Regards
Dave

P.s.....705 is digital and uses # for ferrous and non ferrous metals it also has a prospecting mode but find it difficult in heavy minerilized ground...
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 am

ML Safari (little rippa), Sov GT, (Baeutyay) Sov XS, Excalibre (waterproof), Garrett Sea Hunter PI, (waterproof find everything) Tesoro Sand shark PI (waterproof)

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:34 am

Definitely the Sovereign for the beach.
I once tried the 3500, but found myself digging far too deep and then only for a bobby pin.

The sovereign talks to you and it does not take too long to learn its language especially with the 1 and $2 coins which create a sound all of their own.

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks for the replies all. The detector will be mainly be used around old houses in the bush/goldfields. Not really keen to swing it at the beach, too many onlookers.
Lots of options by the looks of it, one thing I am keen on is easy operation/instructions. I mainly use a 4500 for gold but would like a coin machine for the old houses ect.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 am

Ok i see, so your not interested in buying my trusty Discovery 2000 hey??
I payed $180 but was going to let you have it a bit cheaper... $179 so you cant say i wasn't looking after you.
Never mind mate!...i'll sell it to the kid down the road for $181 instead. Laughing

PS, i was even going to give it to you with 2 new 9v batteries.........but you can now get stuffed!! Laughing Laughing

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 am

Narrawa wrote:Ok i see, so your not interested in buying my trusty Discovery 2000 hey??
I payed $180 but was going to let you have it a bit cheaper... $179 so you cant say i wasn't looking after you.
Never mind mate!...i'll sell it to the kid down the road for $181 instead. Laughing

PS, i was even going to give it to you with 2 new 9v batteries.........but you can now get stuffed!! Laughing Laughing

You didnt mention anything about the 2 new 9volts!!! That would have clinched the deal. Very Happy
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 am

Nahh its alright mate, im over it, its just that i spent the better part of the morning cleaning and preparing it for you thats all......... Im not trying to make you feel obligated to buy it, i can see your interests lye's else where. Thats cool! no probs! alls well!....go right ahead!...buy one of those stupid sovereigns or silly extra terrors for all i care!.. but dont come running to me when you've done all ya doe! because i dont give a ratz ars what you buy i really dont!

PS. what brand of 9v would you like?? Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Best coin/relic detector under 1k Empty ace 350 or atp pro

Post  jackhunter Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 pm

get yourself a ace 350 or atp pro if you can afford the extra $200 for it.
the ace 350 cost me $297 us to buy, using it in the bush, ie thats where i live, i got a few ww2 ruins in my town and i also got a dozen 1864 and 1865 pioneer well/camp areas within 50km of me, not to mention the dozens upon dozens of towns that popped up in the 1910 to 1920 time frame then died by 1940 due to war, poor wheat price or mines running out of gold.
with my ace 350 she is finding enough relics for me in ww2 hospital site to start a museum, i found a coin from 1913, 1943, 1961 and 1966 with it this week their as well. for a cheap detector its running really well considering the minelab crowd all told me this area is to hot, high mineral zone, yet for past 50 years detectors that where vlf etc have worked here. anyway mine not given me one false signal yet, it loves coins, really loves coins and its favourite is bottle tops, a bottle top makes same sound as a $1 $2 and penny make. a pull tab makes same sound as a large gold ring

jackhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-05-20

http://www.fisheraustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Best coin/relic detector under 1k Empty Tesoro Vaquero

Post  stoney07 Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:42 pm

The Tesoro Vaquero is by far the best Coin detector for the value on the market. i am new to this game and paid $650 for one brand new, in 1 month i made over $350 in $1 and $2 coins as well as other currency. its so light at 2.2lbs and battery life is around 40 hours for a 9v battery. The depth is amazing .14.7 khz with coins coming out up to 12 inches in some cases. Cheers Stoney Smile
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t5657-stoney07-first-months-finds
stoney07
stoney07
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Best coin/relic detector under 1k Empty garrett gti 2500

Post  jackhunter Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:07 pm

after tossing up for a whites spectra vx3 or dfx 300 or mxt pro. i went and checked out gti 2500. ok its a old machine around for a decade now but had in 2005 garrett installed a chip to deal with high mineral area soils. mate in north queensland using it since then and finds heaps of coins and relics.
now reason i choose it, even though whites are top machines, is for a few reasons, one is most important to me is it has surface elimination which cuts out between 1 and 4 inches of soil. perfect for hunting building ruins that have tin shards metal fragments and junk on surface, while coins are under it.
other reason, used a ace 350 for couple months everywhere from beach to coolgardie, no drama with coins or no drama with soil so gti has the same audio tones as ace, ie i used to it. also it has treasure talk, ie a lady voice tells you depth etc good for night detecting where you dont want to switch on torch. plus gti coming in a package, with two image coils 9.5 and 12 inch, control cover, detector bag, headphones for $909 from texas premium detectors and ed their is giving my a 14inchdd coil for 96 dollars, so 1/3 off retail, comes with diggers. now kellyco are trying to beat cost, they said on facebook might match it and chuck in a package of tools, bags and a pinpointer for same cost. got 5 days till money goes in bank to decide, do i stick with ed who has helped me out and helped me twice in the past or do i go with kellyco who offering a couple hundred dollars worth of freebies.

jackhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-05-20

http://www.fisheraustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 pm

G'day Jackhunter.

Just a thought here, but have you looked into the latest Garret AT/PRO stats,before making a decision in buying the GTI 2500.I cant remember at the moment but,somewhere on You tube,I saw a comparison report between the two machines,and the AT/PRO from what I can recollect,gave better,all round results on various targets than the GTI2500,but lacks the 1 to 4 inch surface elimination.Check it out,before making your decision. Sorry guys,I think Iv hijacked Curleys' thread.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down