Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it?

+8
ivanll
Jims Gold
Undertaker
Scrubhen
shicer
kon61
GoldstalkerGPX
silentarrow
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it? Empty Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it?

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 pm

This is a large nugget of metal, looks like gold, isnt, and has no effect on my minelab gpx 5000....does anyone know what it might be?

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it? Strang10

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it? Empty Re: Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it?

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:42 pm

My guess would be a type of pyrite Question sorry I'm no help, but as I say that is my guess.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it? Empty Re: Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it?

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 pm

I thought pyrite was brittle? This is as solid as steel. And VERY heavy. I also thought pyrite would be detected by the detector? non ferrous? No?

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Here's another side of it. Has strange "cut" marks, but they're not uniform or consistent, kinda like a crystal or a geode......solid metal, very heavy, golden color.

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it? Strang11

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Silentarrow,Does it leave any streak marks when rubbed on paper?

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:35 pm

it looks like pyrite but if you say its solid steel like it could be part of a nickle iron meteorite but in saying that , if it was it would be picked up by your detector . try a magnet on it .
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 pm

I would say it is Galina, (not sure of the spelling)
We used to use it in cristal radios back in the dim past.

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:14 pm

If it is a brassy yellow colour and a bit sparkly, brittle and heavy then might be Iron pyrites.

Won't effect a PI much because it is mineral iron but it might detect on your vlf if you have one. Pushes the threshold down. if you found it while detecting then you are definately in gold country.

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Does it conduct electricity?
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Silentarrow

You say it's gold coloured but those pics show as silver on my screen, BUT, if it is gold or brass coloured then my guess is that it's Chalcopyrite.

Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Might be Hematite if it is very heavy and leaves a redish brown streak when you rub it down the edge of one of your missus broken antique china plates Very Happy Very Happy pale
The Stiations are typical of Hematite.
Another chap mentioned Chalcopyrite; I am not 100% certain but I don't think Chalcopyrite is found in Australia. It is also found in Platy hexagonal chrystal form. Your speci is not totally hexagonal form but I can see trigonal, hexagonal & rhombohedral crystal forms.
The trigonal crystal system is the only crystal system whose point groups have more than one lattice system associated with their space groups: the hexagonal and rhombohedral lattices both appear.

Without holding it in my hot little hands I cannot say for certain what the speci is.

Adrian SS

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding stuff)

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:28 pm

I would look at the group with Many-faceted Personalities.

1_Bi= Bismuth
2_Sb=Antimony
3_As=Arsenic

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanx much for all the replies chaps. Tho I'm still confused as to what this is. Has no effect on a magnet either. Used a rare earth magnet. Im going to make a HD video and post it to youtube. As soon as its ready I'll post the link here.

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:43 pm

On a side note, does anyone know what the value would be should any of the replies here be correct?

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Maybe I'll stop by the geology dept here at university to see if a prof would look at it as well. Any news and I'll update you all.

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Silentarrow I see you are located in USA and I still reckon it's Chalcopyrite, just do a search on Google and check out the pics.

Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Well that kicks out Hematite Sad

ASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Billsymo Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm

silentarrow wrote:This is a large nugget of metal, looks like gold, isnt, and has no effect on my minelab gpx 5000....does anyone know what it might be?

you did not say how you found it but it looks like slag, or dross left over from smelting, but don't take my word for it. could be worth nothing or millions.
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Jims Gold wrote:Silentarrow I see you are located in USA and I still reckon it's Chalcopyrite, just do a search on Google and check out the pics.

Jim

Id have to disagree with this, based on the google search stating that a characteristic of Chalcopyrite is "brittleness". This hunk of metal is EXTREMELY solid.

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/sulfides/chalcopy/chalcopy.htm

(bottom of page)

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Billsymo wrote:
silentarrow wrote:This is a large nugget of metal, looks like gold, isnt, and has no effect on my minelab gpx 5000....does anyone know what it might be?

you did not say how you found it but it looks like slag, or dross left over from smelting, but don't take my word for it. could be worth nothing or millions.

Couldnt be with all the "striations". They almost look like its been cut with a saw, yet theyre inconsistent and run in opposite directs from eachother

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Is there such thing as a metal that has NO effect on a detector?

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Check out the pic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalcopyrite
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Jims Gold wrote:Check out the pic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalcopyrite

I now think Jim's correct. Picture is nearly identical to what I have. Cheers Jim. Any idea what it might be worth? And why does it have no effect on my detector? I tried my excaliburII as well. Zero change to the threshold.

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:42 pm

If anyone is wondering, I bought a desk from an estate sale and this little 2.25oz bugger was in the drawer.

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  silentarrow Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Rubs off sparklies on the bottom of a china plate.

silentarrow
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:13 pm

silentarrow wrote:I thought pyrite was brittle? This is as solid as steel. And VERY heavy. I also thought pyrite would be detected by the detector? non ferrous? No?

You said it is very heavy; Chalcophyrite is not a heavy mineral with an sg of 4.1 to 4.3.
You also said that it was not brittle but your streak test demonstrates that it is brittle..
Mumble, mumble, mumble.

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi
Looks like galena to me too, if you found it around a old mine it most likely wasn't a gold mine but a lead one.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Strange chunk of metal, has NO effect on detector, what is it? Empty Re: Strange chunk of metal.............

Post  sandy2010 Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Two options:
1). Do a specific gravity test on it and Google SGs of minerals.
2). Check that the detector is working, (if it is metal you have a problem).
Keep us informed when you solve the mystery.
Hope it's not Kryptonite, you might meet up with Superman and he will not be impressed.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:49 pm

You said it weighed 2.25 oz dry weight.
Get a small plastic container and put enough water in to completly cover the speci while suspended in the water.
Set the scale to read zero with the container of water on the scale weigh pan. Tie a length of cotton thread around the speci, completely wet the speci to help get rid of bubbles when suspended. Hold the other end of the cotton and Suspend the speci in the water container on the weigh pan, do not let the speci or cotton contact the container or scale, make sure there is no bubbles on the speci, now read the weight displayed, this figure is the weight of the displaced water. Divide that weight into the dry weight of the speci and the result is the sg. In this case it will be a close approximation unless you can get a scale that reads to 3 decimal places and measures in grams. Let us know what you get.
Be sure that the speci is completely dry before doing the dry weighing.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm

ring and speak to a Goelogist....

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next