Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........

+6
Scrubhen
kon61
Frog
Jack0gold
monkey
shicer
10 posters

Go down

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Empty BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi Guys, I am looking at getting a camera that takes great shots of small gold close up and show the detail of it, like when looking with a magnifying glass. I heard of a Nikon camera that fits this description but forgot wgich camera it is, there's just so many cameras out there. Anyone here use a great camera like that?

Thanks,
uncle bob. confused

Back to top Go down

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Empty hi uncle

Post  shicer Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 pm

i bought one last week a nikon coolpix s8000 amazing zoom on it and macro mode , very happy with it .
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Empty Re: BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Shicer, have you taken any shots of gold with it yet?
uncle bob.

Back to top Go down

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Empty BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........

Post  monkey Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi U bob
the wife had just got a new one before Xmas, it is a fujifilm finepix HS10 has zoom 30x and macro grait camera take's realy clear shot's. got it on ebay from a place in sydney cost around $400. RRP is around $700 if you want I will try to get some macro shot's and send to you if you like

"have nothing to do with the saler just happy with the camera"

Allan in vic
monkey
monkey
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Empty Re: BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........

Post  shicer Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 pm

yeah bob have taken photos of all my gold with it even a tiny speci with pin prick gold in it comes up super clear , like looking at it through a loupe . i would post some photos but my partner has taken it to nz with her .it puts my nikon d50 to shame
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack0gold Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey BOB, I use a Fugifilm Finepix S5700 7.1 mega pixel with 10 x zoom that i bought from Target for under $300.00. Most cameras are good for taking pics of small gold as long as it has a Super Macro setting.

Cheers

Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the info fellas, I think I need a camera with a mcro setting in it. I have a Panasonic Lumix camera and it's no good for taking macro shots of my gold. When I try to focus on a nugget to get the detailed shot it just goes all blurry, so I'll be out looking for a new camera wich does macro shots. The nikon coolpix sounds like a good one.
Thanks heaps,
uncle bob. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 am

Jack0gold,shicer,Monkey

Could you post some pix on this thread with the make/model/$$ of the cam used
so we can all compare as i need a new cam also with video mode too that is good yet
reasonably priced too.
thanks in advance guys..

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Frog Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Uncle Bob
The canon a495 is a nice little camera for less than $100 dollars,10.3 megapixel and video ideal to take detecting .
May not be the best on small nuggets but for the price it is good value for every day shots.Frog

Frog
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:51 pm

G'day Uncle Bob.

The Canon Ixus 110is compact,is another top all rounder,offering HD movie mode as well as top macro capabilities.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:29 am

Hi Frog and Kon61, thanks for the info. Kon61, the canon ixus 110is sounds good so does it take really great shots of small gold nuggets?
Thanks,
uncle bob.

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 am

beepinpete wrote:Jack0gold,shicer,Monkey

Could you post some pix on this thread with the make/model/$$ of the cam used
so we can all compare as i need a new cam also with video mode too that is good yet
reasonably priced too.
thanks in advance guys..

Pete in WA Cool

Terrific idea
Please
Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:49 pm

My old Canon IXUS 70 does a reasonable job in Macro.

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ IMG_2777-1-1

I assume the Canon IXUS 110 would be a good option.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:06 pm

G'day Uncle Bob.

Get into www.digitalversus.com under product face-offs and you can just about compare side by side all
current digital cameras available. I use a Canon Ixus 120is and although its a very good compact,you can only get to within 3cm of subject,in macro mode. The macro shots are clear and much similar to that of Ararats Canon Ixus 70. As for the macro on the Ixus 110is not only is it clear but it will take a picture twice as close as that of the Ixus 70,making that 0.05g nugget twice the size.Similar to that of the Nikon Cool pix S8000.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:19 pm

When i first decided to buy a decent camera, it took ages comparing them all till i narrowed it down to just three at the time, its worth the time spent doing some research because you learn a little about the technology as well as the fetures.
Decided on the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-10, so went into town to buy it and was told it had not reached our shores yet.
Decided to mope around the good guys shop after visiting all the camera shops and Harvey Norman, and there it was!!, so i bought the b**tard there and then.
That was a few years back, i now use the Panasonic DMC-TZ7 and very happy with it.
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ P1110521
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ P1110517
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ P1440763
Weatherzone says its hot outside ATM. Laughing
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ P1110598
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:41 pm

Now that's a bloody good macro close up shot Narrawa.The price for the TZ7 at the moment on Ebay is quite reasonable and I don't think one can ask for much better than that.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Guys, I have a Panasonic DMC - FZ8, it's a terific camera but I seem to have trouble taking shots in Macro mode and they go all blurry, does anyone know how to use this setting? What really puzzles me is that the camera has Macro mode.
uncle bob. confused scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Uncle Bob, try playing around with lighting, shine a torch or light of some description over the top of your subject, careful not to blow it out with to much light tho.
"I seem to have trouble taking shots in Macro mode and they go all blurry..."
5cm is the macro range on that model, keep this in mind so it can focus.
Keep the light above or experiment with different angles and shadows for the effect your looking for, the beauty of digital is there is no wasting film.
When i shoot lightning pics i would take hundreds of pics and use up a couple of SD cards when there is a good light show on, and out of that i might get 1 or 2 decent pics.
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ P1100763
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ P1100740
The next pic was taken as i walked out the door, and had only just turned the darn thing on to get it ready for the light show when the neighboring house lit up. Shocked Instant BANG!! i got that pic by arse and by fright, and the OIS on the camera and its gyro-sensors could not keep up with my hand shake after that, so i just went back in side and tossed me undybums in the bin. Laughing
BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Copyofnew
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks heaps Narrawa, i will try what you have told me. Those lighning strikes are "AWSOME" I love them, but the "BIG BANGS" that come from them especially when that close is very scary indeed. My dog jumps and shivers like a shak'n'dog for a long while. Yeah the undies well that's a different ball game there.
Cheers and Happy New Year Guys,
uncle bob

Back to top Go down

BEST VALUE CAMERA FOR TAKING SHOTS OF GOLD IN DETAIL........ Empty best value camera for taking shots of gold in detail

Post  goldfisher Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 am

Hi Uncle,
Recently bought a Fujiflum FinePix F300ERX from i-chose a ebay co in Hongkong this camera was a couple of dollars under $500 in Aus was able to get it for $319.00 with extras i-chose were great to deal with was here in 3 days very happy
Hope this helps PS no duty under $1000.00 Paul....

goldfisher
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:25 pm

we got a lumix about 5 years ago and couldnt fault it. So 6 months ago we got another one, mostly for my fishing/prospecting trips cos its waterproof, dust proof, and i can drop it from a great height and it will keep working. If i get it dirty out in the bush i just wash it off under the tap, lol. It has HD video (not that i use it cos i have a camcorder i take everywhere with me) but great for anyone wanting to quickly and easily film a dig. Anyway, its a great camera! Just my opinion, lol. bounce
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:20 pm

My wife sold our gold on eBay for about 8 years using Canon Powershot cameras.
I think the latest version of that range would be good.She also worked out natural light was
best and time of day important.She got good coments on her photos.

I took a video of lightening and then took a 'snap' shot on playback once. Worked OK
and took out the guessing of when to press the button.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Alan, thanks for the info about the natural light.
uncle bob.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Alan WA wrote:

I took a video of lightening and then took a 'snap' shot on playback once. Worked OK
and took out the guessing of when to press the button.

Alan
Thats cheating. Laughing i use the continuous shooting mode and set the shutter speed manually. Or you can use the stary sky feture like many others do which gives you about 3 different choices as to how long the shutter stays open. 15 30 60 sec.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down