Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal

+3
nero_design
Jack0gold
adxom
7 posters

Go down

detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal Empty detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal

Post  adxom Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 pm

im interested to know if anyone has detected around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal with any luck?

adxom
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal Empty Re: detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal

Post  Jack0gold Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I havnt done that area but have had some good luck out back of Mogo.
Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Back to top Go down

detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal Empty Re: detecting around braidwood/mongarlowe/oallen ford/yalwal

Post  adxom Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Jack0gold wrote:I havnt done that area but have had some good luck out back of Mogo.
was that on private land?

adxom
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:19 pm

A couple of small nuggets just out of Braidwood but on private property as much of the area is.
Yawal? crap city! not a thing...the good gold would be at the bottom of the dam.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack0gold Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:29 pm

If you head south from mogo, just on the edge of town theres a right hand turn, Its been many years since i was there, had a brand new GP Extreme. Its state forest out the back of mogo and there are miles of old workings there. I remember a short drive up that road then another right turn into the forest, Down a dirt track for about a k or so and your there.
Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  adxom Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:55 pm

thanks Jack0gold i'll check it out sometime.

adxom
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:56 pm

The best areas worth exploring in that region are mostly privately owned (ie towards Captains Flat) but the South has nothing on the West (eg Bathurst & surrounding districts) when it comes to nuggets. Yes, smaller nuggets have been won there in the past but the area is probably better suited to sluice operations due to the smaller gold... especially Oallen which is popular with the many prospecting clubs for panning. The best gold is deeper down in the ground, just as it is out west of Sydney, only the gold is a little smaller and less prolific to the South (until you get down to Victoria)... which is probably why so many people head West because the same amount of effort usually results in larger bits. The Shoalhaven River (to the South) is almost entirely gold bearing although most of the riverfront property is owned by various people. On the areas you can get to with minimal fuss, the gold is really quite fine and not at all nuggety. Some people refer to the gold there as Mustard Gold because it's as fine as mustard powder and can blow out of your pan like powder if it dries. There's a lot of work involved in getting it and it sours a few opinions of club members when they head there to pan unless they get onto a good property.

To the old timers, any gold was good gold. They pretty much covered the entire east coast looking for gold in the mid-to-late 1800s. There was a lot of lost lives to the South at times of flooding and the lighter, loosely-packed soil was more prone to cave-in. The gold mines towards the Snowy Mountains were more likely to be in Granite etc which was much more sturdy but harder to get into. The heavy and constant rain we've had lately makes it hard to be able to dig anywhere practical at the moment. There's likely to be a few relatively unexplored areas closer to the ACT just a couple of kms to the east of Cooma. They won gold there but moved north before covering the area properly and a few farms now dot the region. I'm sure the farmers would allow the odd panner and sluicer if you asked.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  adxom Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm

thanks nero very informative although not quite what i was hoping to hear...
the reply i was after is "yeah i've detected all those areas and found nuggets big as golf balls".hahaha
followed by "the locals are heaps friendly and they dont mind people swinging detectors on their private land in fact heres the phone numbers of some properties that i've found some decent size nuggets on".
hahaha wishful thinking!!!

adxom
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi Adxom, I have seen a 30 oz nugget from Nerriga but have not been there.

Some suggestions that may help.
See link below and do some research on the "Digs" database and on the "six viewer" mapping site after you get some spots from the publications and EL reports off digs.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/109775/nerriga-gold-deposits.pdf

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 am

Get yourself a copy of Jack Lange's video 'Nugget Finding Secrets,Part 2'.In it you'll see Jack pull some good nuggets in the Shoalhaven River area not too far from Oallen Ford. One of the nuggets is a multi ouncer.His secret was to do the research and access private property.Cheers, Trev.
P.s. in fact all his videos are fantastic and I.ve picked up many fundamentals and very useful information from them .I highly recommend them to any novice prospector if you are serious about learning prospecting,

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Nugget Meister Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:50 am

would that be the same fellow who broke his hip getting thrown over a fence for ignoring repeated trespass warnings recently?
if it is, it's sort of common knowledge that he plants his nuggets for the camera. unless we're talking about someone else of course. Wink
Nugget Meister
Nugget Meister
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 am

Nugget Meister wrote:would that be the same fellow who broke his hip getting thrown over a fence for ignoring repeated trespass warnings recently?
if it is, it's sort of common knowledge that he plants his nuggets for the camera. unless we're talking about someone else of course. Wink
nearly as bad as posting a picture of someone else with thier huge nugget and your "nuggetmiester not for reproduction" water mark all over it leaving everyone with the impression it's yours! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  adxom Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm

thanks for the info guys this is a great forum!
can anyone tell me if the Boorowa river is gold bearing?

adxom
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:47 pm

I have been detecting,Prospecting and panning in the Braidwood, Araluen, Majors Creek region on and off for the past 28 years and yes there is gold there, it is mostly fine gold. The good stuff is down about 300 foot beneath the basalt cap and there is truckloads of it.
I worked one paticular erosion channel on a hillside for quite a while and got good hackly gold out of the grass roots and deeper rivulet channels and from beneath some large granit boulders. That spot is about 3 kays North East of the town centre (Majors Creek)on private property. I suggest you get permission, although I never did locate the owner but always left a note on the gate stating where I was and what I was doing. My legs won't let me go down into the gully now. You might have to dodge a few bulls and plenty of redbelly blacks. I reckon there is a snake every 3 or 4 metres. Aside from that it is a great spot,plenty of bush and you will likely get a couple of river dragons watching you from overhanging rocks while you dish the creek.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  adxom Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:46 am

thanks adrian i'll check it out.

adxom
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Did you ever check out the Majors Creek and Mogo areas? Surely there were big nuggets just lying around!!
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down